Poor Choices. NEXT Her Advice?

GhengisT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Long story short- Been with a girl for 4 yrs. She breaks up with me due to lack of spark. 3mo. NC. I rebuild myself better, etc. I had a blast being single, think she hated it. We reconcile, start dating again. It's been 8 months back into LTR.

She has planned a Vegas trip for New Years with one of her girlfriends. Prepaid for their flight & hotel.

Here's the kicker:
She gets me a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada & two beer glasses for Christmas.

I got her a 26" Samsung LCD TV & a Roku XS (Apple TV knockoff). So I decide call her on the thoughtless gift & ask her how much she's taking to Vegas. Not much, about $400. As I dig deeper, she tells me that she didn't even have money to buy her parents anything. Mind you, this girl is 24 still living at home.

Thoughts?

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Reign in on the spending on her for now.

You feel that this inequality of gift "Value" is an issue.

You feel that the expense and the value of the gift is based on how much you care for her, and this is how you express you romantic, caring feelings for her.
She got you some beer.

I can see the disparity.
But what you bring up is the disparity in affectionate , kind thought and concern for the other partner. Right now you feel like youve given too much, but you gave based on what you feel, and she gave , apparently very little, according to what she feels.

This wont get fixed in any way unless you really bring it up.

Its kind of saying "hey, can you love me a little more so that when you show your love to me in a gift, I can feel that you really love me? "

Basically something like that, right?

Well, it appears like her priorities are elsewhere. And she doesnt seem to know or care HOW to gift a person that is her romantic partner.

You might want to talk to her about saying something that you spent quite a deal more for a more valueable gift to show THIS is HOW much I CARE about you, and when all you gave me was some beer, I was let down.

Explain to her, that to YOU, it feels like she doesnt HAVE the same LEVEL of Feelings for you, that you have for her.

Now, you cant exactly make her borrow some money to go out and get you a "nicer" gift.And she will tell you "But I told you I dont have any money."

And you could say something like "I understand but buying me a beer and giving it to me as a "Gift" shows real thoughtlessness and isnt appropriate for a gift to your romantic partner."

And start there.

If you dont say anything, pretty much this is going to be the norm.
So definitely talk to her about HOW she SHOWS her love and Affection for you, and how you dont respond to beer as a gift of love and affection.

(all this is of course based on if you really DO feel "Love" for her, and would like her to reciprocate)

SO right now, scale back the gifts, and see where she's at with her heart with you now.
I know, its hard ot pin her down. But here is a solid piece of evidence that you can reference and give you an idea of the levels of emotional investment she may or may not have for you.

Good luck.

yuppaz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Couple things:
Did you know she was poor before you got her the gift? If you did, you should expect she can't afford much for you, so you shouldn't go apesh*t with giving her something she has no way to match the value. But I agree with interceptor on how to bring it up and get outwhy it bothers you.

I recently did something similar without any expectation of reciprocation. She doesn't have a lot ofmoney butshe still got me something, which was more then I expected and I told her how much I appreciated it. She did it with love and so did I, so even though the value is way different, I'm still happy with it. Do you think your girl did the same, orwas it a blow off gift just to get you something....?Savvy?

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man I hate to say this but if you go back and read this it's self explanatory.
Forget this chick, and read the DJ Bible, etc. again and again. If you have to, print off and read before bed every night and get used to thinking this way. That's what I do, and hopefully it will become second nature with time.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
She's going to Vegas and bought you almost nothing. She LIVES with her parents and bought them......NOTHING. Nothing for appreciation of them letting her live in their house...

I'll get out the crayons and draw you a picture. She is the only one who counts in her life to the extent she doesn't show "normal" gratitude. The world and people in it are only here to help serve HER. Keep her around till you find better, then dump her. Unless you want to be the walking wallet for a princess

( . )( . )

Banned
Reaction score
sodbuster said:
She's going to Vegas and bought you almost nothing. She LIVES with her parents and bought them......NOTHING. Nothing for appreciation of them letting her live in their house...
She sounds just like a textbook "modern woman" + her initial repulsion to the OP's AFCism (lack of spark) wouldn't have helped much either.

Ghengis this is great news, you now know exactly what your dealing with and where everybody stands. Time to stop investing in sh!tty stock and spin spin spin those plates. Keep phucking her no doubt but a bag of skittles is plenty enough to show you care for this one.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
GhengisT said:
She gets me a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada & two beer glasses for Christmas.

I got her a 26" Samsung LCD TV & a Roku XS (Apple TV knockoff).
I have NEVER spent more than $100 on a woman for Christmas ($50 is usually standard for a LTR). If you're going to buy her furniture or appliances, you buy them together because you LIVE together.

bmp2cpm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Expensive gifts have no affect on how much a woman appreciates you or how loyal she'll be to you. Put the minimum effort when gifting a woman.

pdx1138

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
GhengisT said:
She has planned a Vegas trip for New Years with one of her girlfriends.

and without you....

nothing more needed to be said.

sarcastic sam

Banned
Reaction score
bradd80 said:
OP, the only thing that this story needed to make it perfect is if you had paid a male hooker to service your gf while she was in vegas
lol but then that would have been ridiculous hahaha

GhengisT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mauser96 said:
And I am with this. Did she even ask if you wanted to go....or if you would mind if she went? It isn't "control" it is common courtesy.
Thanks for the responses guys. Got a few good laughs there..

She did ask if I would mind her going for New Years w/o me. I really didn't care as there's plenty game in the area (I moved up north to be closer to work - living a couple miles from UCSB). She went to Vegas & surprisingly was blowing up my phone a lot during her trip. Got a couple X-rated text messages with a lot of "i miss you" type stuff.

I really don't put much thought into stuff women say, and try to judge by actions. She practically begged me to let her come up and visit the day after she got back (we live an hour apart since I moved). Sure enough, she drove up on her own dime & I broke her off after dinner (Tuesday after work). The following Sunday, she drove back up. We spent the half day at my favorite brewery, went back to my place, etc. Later that night, she treated me to dinner & drinks.

Aside from the bullsh!t gift, I've never gotten the impression that I'm her walking wallet. There have been more times than I can count in which she's taken me on a date (and paid). She seems sensible, aside from this stunt. Being fair, I've said screw everybody & completely indulged in myself more than once. Guess that's what I get...

allen2000

Don Juan
Reaction score
random thoughts:

1. girls taking overnight trips to party with other girls and not including their boyfriends = bull****.

2. you buying girl TV and whatever else = bad move. i agree with other posters to keep gifts, if absolutely needed to a basic, thoughtful and inexpensive gift. guys who are always gifting a woman are essentially just paying for sex. and what kind of lady gives sex in exchange for payments??? you guessed it. not saying YOUR gf is this, OP, but don't shower this chic with gifts like that. its obvious you guys are not on the same level of personal investment.

3. getting back with her after 3 months NC = bad move. there is no reason to go back. only go forward. when you want to go back in time, go to an antique store and "remember when" - don't do that with women.

GhengisT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
She's not the problem, your infatuation with her is the issue at hand.

You should have never looked back the moment she dumped you. It is obvious she is only with you out of her lack of options. If you have so many options yourself, then why are you with this poor excuse for a woman?
I agree with you on most of this Danger. I also agree with the breakup a year ago. I had some serious AFC problems (lack of mother figure throughout my childhood). I let this girl absolutely own me, make the rules of our relationship, and talk to me however (negative) she wanted to..

Most of you guys are probably thinking about strangling me at this point :cuss: but hear me out. Into the 2nd month of the breakup, I finally got a plate! She was my type & a HB7. After a month of not putting out, she flaked on me the same night I ran into my Ex. I hadn't been laid since the breakup, so it was almost too easy. Long story short, the fun & newness of getting back together was great, but it's an ephemeral feeling which has started fading again.

Touching on my infatuation with the sex/her, tell me what your take is on this:
I feel that getting out of this relationship is best for me when I'm not around her. When I'm with her, doing something fun, there's nobody I'd rather be with. If we're not doing anything (day to day life type stuff), she's rather bothersome. Almost as if she expects me to cater to her needs. She'll do weird $hit too, like ask me to help her get up off the couch/out of bed. She'll leave me these naggy-a$$ voicemails where's she's all pissed off because I didn't answer my phone.

Painting the picture more vividly- she's unhappy with herself quite often. It's like I'm her main source of confidence. Then she goes and does something that a good girlfriend should do- buys groceries & cook a ton of food, ensuring that I'd have left overs for a week. Then f***s my tool raw after dinner, before leaving back to her hometown for the night.

This may sound awkward or cruel, but this has been like my little science experiment. I don't allow her to make rules anymore, I don't gift her anytime other than birthday, xmas, and anniversary. When she disrespects me by leaving angry voicemails, texts, or hangs up on me- I withdraw my attention. Essentially, I give her 2/3 of what she puts in. At first it kept her coming back for more, lately she's telling me that she feels unloved (because of stuff like not texting to ask how her days is going)..

While talking this weekend, she told me she was overwhelmed. She's a part time student & has a part-time job as LVN. Only pays for auto payment, insurance, and gas. I'm full-time professional & full-time college student, so her complaining about being overwhelmed just looks dumb to me. I literally can't sympathize. I Immediately mentioned a repeat of last year (she broke it off in Feb 2012) & asked what that was supposed to mean.. stop beating around the f***ing bush..

SecondHalf

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP, poor should not equal no effort.
The only way she could have invested less time is to stop at a drug store and pick up a box of cheap pre-wrapped chocolates.

It matters not what you gave her in comparison, but the effort that she put into you.

Getting a bunch of random attention when it's convenient for her while she's away means nothing. Over compensation more likely than not.

You're not a priority friend.

I get what you're saying about the contrast of feelings you have when you're apart vs together. However, think about what you're focusing on while you're with her ... yep, her. Other than your member and the likely ego stroking you're getting at the time, you're no longer thinking long term about yourself.

Get more plates.
Work on yourself more.
You will likely start to lose interest in this woman without the conflict within yourself.

SH