Picking Clothes

x86

Don Juan
Reaction score
I admit I am horrible at picking clothes. Instead of whining about not being good at something I either learn how to be better or go to those who are better. Thus, I have discovered it is actually mildly fun shopping for clothes.

"Your mad!" they cried.

But it is true. My solution is to go into a store I like and the first woman that says "Can I help you" I exclaim how I was born minus taste. It is much easier picking clothes when the choices that are given are both good.

Larajihna

Don Juan
Reaction score
Shoes are important. Have to the right shoes on at the right time. Only time I wear sneakers are when I go to the gym, or I'm "dressing down" on purpose.

Lexington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone think shopping with a female friend is a good idea? I have a platonic female friend that's very fashionable. She wants to take me out clothes shopping. I think it might be okay, but then again, she might try and turn me into a metrosexual. And she'd probably be all about the super expensive designer wear. I'd rather not shell out $200 for a pair of jeans.

Larajihna

Don Juan
Reaction score
Lexington said:
Does anyone think shopping with a female friend is a good idea? I have a platonic female friend that's very fashionable. She wants to take me out clothes shopping. I think it might be okay, but then again, she might try and turn me into a metrosexual. And she'd probably be all about the super expensive designer wear. I'd rather not shell out $200 for a pair of jeans.
The term "metrosexual" still floats around? Why can't a dude just do his thing and take care of himself without being labeled? Oh, and no shots toward you, bro.

Hey, you may want to shop with a female friend and see how it goes. Introduce you to new styles and **** that you weren't aware of or never tried. And shopping doesn't have to be expensive. Go to H&M, Uniqlo, whatever whatever and you can find good items for reasonable prices. Just try not to get caught up in labels... don't want a stupid emblem on your chest that you'd hate the next season.

seanarcher

Banned
Reaction score
Jeans are pretty simple to pick out when you can find them in your size. Just find a pair that looks good, fits well and doesn't cost over 50 bucks. The more expensive ones tend to be those horrible intentionally ripped jeans anyway. Calvin Klein usually makes a good pair and are never more than 50 if that. Shirts...figure out what colors go well with your hair/eye color. Decide what kind of look you want to go for. Pick any celebrity or guy you know that you think dresses well, don't copy him, but think "would he buy this if he were shopping?" and also ask yourself that if it would fit/look good on you.

I wear jeans that fit me on the waist, a little loose but not wigger/homieish on the sides, zipper sweaters, sometimes with collared shirts under them, and when I want to go casual, I'll wear a button up shirt opened up with a color t shirt under it, kind of like Jerry in the show Seinfeld. Shoes, depends on the outfit and occasion. Black skechers go well with mostly anything and are multi-occasional but sometimes I like to wear nike casual shoes.

Larajihna

Don Juan
Reaction score
Uniqlo has good jeans for 50 bucks. I mess with the skinny fitted jeans. Add a small cuff to the bottom with a nice cardigan and a v-neck t-shirt and I'm good to go. I used to wear Sperry Top Sider boat shoes but fall is making it a little too chilly to rock those, so now I'm wearing the various wingtips I own.

Shoes are another things, bro. I drop dollars on them (I work for the city, I get paid small) but it pays off. I always get compliments from chicks about my shoes. I recommend hitting up J. Crew and see what's up. 150 and up there.

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like going shopping for my off work clothing with girls. Perferably in the mid 20s age bracket. They know I am grown so i won't go for the super trendy hiphop/urban/printed tee shirt style. I want a look that is somewhat grown up but still says "fun guy". Plus its a great first date that puts the focus on you (shopping for yourself) with something she likes to do (shopping). Just don't get sucked into going shopping for her..if she wants to go look for stuff tell her to call you when shes done. And go pick up other chicks while shes gone. :)

hondo928

Don Juan
Reaction score
You can probably find most of this stuff somewhere on the internet, when I'm planning on going out or talking to girl I want to wear clothes that exude confidence. Apparently blue shows women power, but for me I like to wear Pink, but some guys really don't like that. I have a shirt from Jcrew like 90% of the time I wear I hook up with a chick. Make sure your pants fit well. If you live in DC check out Denim Bar, it's expensive but well worth it. Make sure the colors go well together too. Look at a color wheel, or shirts alreadyy with colors (the designers put colors together for a reason). Make sure your belt matches your kicks too.

Sin Verdad

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have problems finding shirts that fit. Smalls fit me best for length and sleave length but my shoulders are broad and are tight, but medium are way too baggy for my taste. Vintage fit shirts fit me best but I can only find them in the gayish preppy stores.

PhunGar

Don Juan
Reaction score
go with girls, they generally know what they are doing
and yea invest in a good pair of jeans i hate cheap jeans tbh
generally what i do when im out i have a good look at the people around me
i see what works and what doesn't and add to my own style

squirrels

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A universe...where heartbreak and sadness have bee
Last weekend I ran into a girl at a club who had just graduated from some Fashion institute in New Jersey.

What she told me was that "guys can get away with a lot more fashion-wise than girls can". She recommended a button-down shirt with a nice T-shirt underneath, a decent pair of slacks or jeans (no need for expensive designer stuff), and a nice pair of shoes.

Learn how to match clothes and create your own looks. Nice shoes, belts, etc...

I personally like some of the nicer materials. Silk, cashmere, etc...but it's pricey. Then again, I only buy clothes once maybe every 2 years.

Unless you're in sales or a corporate executive, you're never under- or over-dressed in a nice shirt and tie. For casual outfits, take off the tie, open the top couple buttons, and replace your slacks with jeans. Or get a nice sweater or two.

That's my 0.02. If you want to get into designer fashion and all that peacocking, check out www.kinowear.com

hondo928

Don Juan
Reaction score
I forgot to mention something...it actually goes against peacocking, and was intended for girls but can work well for guys if you don't want to look to stupid. Jackie Kennedy said that she would look in the mirror and take off the first thing she notices. If nothing sticks out like a sore thumb then your probably good to go. The one thing I would not ever advise is dressing like mystery.

Also one thing on kinowear is that it says never wear just a wife beater, vneck or undershirt with jeans....well Johnny Depp and Justin Bobby from the hills do it. And girls swoon over both of them, granted it's in large part their attitude but I think a V-Neck and Jeans can look good dressed down, if worn properly.