Peanut Butter

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what brand of Peanut Butter is the healthiest. I have always bought Jif Creamy peanut butter, but I remember reading in the past that there are healthier brands. Could you recommend a certain brand or tell me what to look for when purchasing peanut butter?

Thanks

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
any brand is good as long as there's no added sugar. if you can get the natural stuff which is just peanuts and salt all the better, otherwise if they add palm oil or whatever it's still fine.. no problem. just no sugar!

peanut butter is a power food! :D

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Meh. I've been buying Skippy natural peanut butter. It has 3g of sugar, 2g of fiber, and 6g of carbs total. With the fiber that's only 4g net carbs right?

All the PBs i see with less sugar cost way more and i'm not going to worry about 12 calories of sugar making me into a fatty.

I did get a $1 off coupon with my last grocery trip so i'll buy the better stuff next time :)

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning behind going with no-sugar-added, but the difference in carbs appears to be quite marginal, at least according to US labels (with their large rounding errors).

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could you recommend a certain brand or tell me what to look for when purchasing peanut butter?

I only buy the "natural" kind, where the oil separates. Smucker's is my favorite. Keep it in the fridge. I usually pour off the oil. Some people never refrigerate peanut butter, but it is an oil, and any oil will go rancid with time. Cool temperatures make oils keep better.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would go with any natural brand which needs no be refrigerated after opening since it wouldn't have the preservatives of the processed brands.

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Could you recommend a certain brand or tell me what to look for when purchasing peanut butter?

I only buy the "natural" kind, where the oil separates. Smucker's is my favorite. Keep it in the fridge. I usually pour off the oil. Some people never refrigerate peanut butter, but it is an oil, and any oil will go rancid with time. Cool temperatures make oils keep better.
Don't pour it off, just stir it in. That oil contains lots of good fats, opposed to the processed peanut butter which contains hydrogenated oils to prevent separation and increase shelf life.

gkmantis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I looked at the nutrition facts for a couple different brands of peanut butter and the ones that say no sugar added have 2g of sugar and the normal jif creamy that I have has only 3g. Does it really make that big of a difference?

Also, in your guide WBA, you say not to eat too many peanut butter sandwiches. I am starting to bulk and they are a nice quick source of food for me (jif creamy with whole wheat bread). Was that advice more geared toward people who are prone to gaining fat or a suggestion for everyone in general?

Thanks

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
gkmantis said:
Also, in your guide WBA, you say not to eat too many peanut butter sandwiches. I am starting to bulk and they are a nice quick source of food for me (jif creamy with whole wheat bread). Was that advice more geared toward people who are prone to gaining fat or a suggestion for everyone in general?

Thanks
It was a general suggestion. If you're eating peanut butter with added sugar, plus jelly (simple carbs from sugar as well as fructose), on white bread then you've got a deadly combination as far as leanness goes. Low GI carbs with some fats are fine as long as there's not too many of either (and not too much saturated fat which easily turns to adipose in high insulin enviroments), but mixing sugary carbs with any type of fat is a bad idea. For an endomorph it'd be suicide, ectos could get away with it maybe now and again.

If you want wholegrain toast with a tbsp or two of peanut butter for breakfast, this should be fine for most people. If however you're talking half a jar's worth on white bread for three meals a day with a glass of whole milk, then you're asking for trouble.

If you're 120lbs at 6'0" and need the calories, go for it. If you want to look like a bodybuilder/trainer/lifter/athlete instead of 'just that bulky guy who lifts weights' while building yourself up, don't make a habit of them.

They're a great source of calories yeah, but so are McD's and whole milk. If you honestly want the best strength and weight gains possible, go this route - just remember you'll gain fat with it and the fat will have to come off sometime.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
typical said:
I love peanut butter and jelly sammies man its the ultimate snack ever created.
Better than jellybeans and rice?