Overtraining? using body weight

justinsane

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey don Juaners,

Is the following routine overtraining?

In the day I do some tae bo for cardio about 1 to 2 hours, then do 4 sets that are each 25 reps of squats, pushups (using the stupid Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar), and door chin ups do the same number of sets but for 12 each. At night I only do squats, pushups, and chin ups before I go to bed. I try not to do it everyday but I am trying to lose this fat around my gut not to mention I want to be somewhat toned and strong. I have a bad back so I am trying to stay away from weights.

Thanks.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on your sets / reps, how heavy you are. How much you're eating & resting.

Also, you train to get stronger. There's bugger all calories spent during training, even a hard 1 hour session (~ a medium McDonald fries). You eat & rest to determine whether that strength carries over to gaining muscles and losing fat. If you train well and eat poorly, you'll be strong AND still fat (that was me).

mikelangelo11

Reaction score
Re

Over-training effects both the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems in the following negative ways:

* Higher resting heart rate
* Weak appetite
* High blood pressure
* Weight loss
* Trouble sleeping
* Increased metabolic rate
* Irritability
* Early onset of fatigue

If you are experiencing more than one of the symptoms outlined above, you may be in a state of over-training, and should evaluate your routine as soon as possible.

The Effects of Over-training on Hormone Levels

Many studies have indicated that over-training negatively effects the levels of hormones, as well as the hormone response in the body. Since hormones play such an important role in the muscle building process, this can have a detrimental effect on your training progress.

Over-training has been show to:

* Decrease testosterone levels
* Decrease thyroxine levels
* Increase cortisol levels

The increase in cortisol levels along with the decrease in testosterone levels is a deadly combination, since this leads to protein tissue break down. This will ultimately lead to a loss of muscle tissue.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lmao most people will not ever see the light of "overtraining" . Put money on it you're just suffering from a common occurrence of I'm-not-used-to-actually-doing-a lot-of-physical-stuff syndrome....

Cure? Lot's of protein/water and rest, rinse lather and repeat. If you "feel" like doing all that everyday by all means. After all it's only your body weight. I know of guys who working out with weights upwards of 6 times a week (natural also), they just eat enough to compensate for all their training.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
lmao most people will not ever see the light of "overtraining" . Put money on it you're just suffering from a common occurrence of I'm-not-used-to-actually-doing-a lot-of-physical-stuff syndrome....

Cure? Lot's of protein/water and rest, rinse lather and repeat. If you "feel" like doing all that everyday by all means. After all it's only your body weight. I know of guys who working out with weights upwards of 6 times a week (natural also), they just eat enough to compensate for all their training.
^^ It's rare for someone to over train, it is much more likely they are under recovering. Make sure you eat enough and you can train til you are red in the face. And then some.