other source of protein ok?

Pure Drive +

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I am eating energy/protein bars with like 2 g net carbs and 30 g protein in them. It also has like no sugar and contains other nutrients. I know this is way more expensive, but is this ok instead of whey? My parents are very worried about whey despite all the research Ihave shown them and prefer to feed me protein bars instead (they odn' care about money).

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It depends if it's a complete protein or not. Complete proteins are the types you get from meat and whey. Incomplete proteins come from vegetable (but can become complete when combined in vegetable platters). If it's the only option you have, go for it. Any protein is better than none, esp. when lifting.

Gee

Don Juan
Reaction score
bumpo to the above guy. its good if its a complete source of protein.

whats your goal anyway. If you're trying to build muslce then you need to eat more caloires than you burn rather than just a lot of protien. Obviously you need a certain ammount of protein but you also need a certain ammount of calories.

In an ideal world you could just eat 500 caloires above maintencance but some people such as hardgainers will need more. if you;re not gaining then keep upping the calories.

Be sure ot eat meat, milk and eggs for protein too rather than energy bars.

Nad a lot of water too, like 3 litres depending on your size.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
100% whey is the best protein you can eat because its absorbed by your body so fast (within 30 minutes). I think its supposed to be the most efficient also. I'm not totally sure on that one. I dunno why your parents dont want you eating whey.... Especially if you eat cheese... As thats where essentially whey comes from.

I dont think protein bars will cut it if your looking to add a good amount of muscle. Just try to explain to your rents that whey protein isnt bad.

"What is whey protein? Whey protein is a pure, natural, high quality protein from cow's milk. It is a rich source of the essential amino acids needed on a daily basis by the body. In its purest form, as whey protein isolate, it contains little to no fat, lactose or cholesterol.

Whey protein is an excellent protein choice for individuals of all ages. It provides a number of benefits in areas including sports nutrition, weight management, immune support, bone health, and general wellness. New information on the health benefits of whey protein continues to become available as researchers discover new applications for both whey protein and its unique individual protein components."

http://www.wheyoflife.org/

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
was/is whey/protein bars a staple of your diet?

Also, know that Net Carbs is not a regulated statement. Anyone can put that on anything, so its hard to say exactly what that means.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
dont mistake 100% whey, which is normally a concentrate for the isolate proteins, which yeild a much better biological value. they are much more, but well worth the money.

bars blow, just my 2 cents, they give me gas to no end :(

Kerensky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo I've been eating both bars AND drinking protein shakes. Based on what you guys said, I think I'll switch back to just whey because bars are hella expensive for me...maybe I'll just eat those for tennis matches or something.

Yeah, "net carbs" kinda got me thinking, but as with a lot of things, I just accepted it as okie-diddly-dokey and moved on with my life.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, I really hope you guys arent using whey protien powders and bars as a large source of protein or nutrients.

EAT REAL FOOD!