On vacation, NO GYM, workout recommendation?

hitchcock1

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey all, i'm on vacation from college. i work out 5-6 days a week at college, running and lifting...everything going great.

on vacation i don't have easy access to a gym. what do you guys do when you're with the parents or when you're on vacation and you don't have access to a gym?

i've been running, which is good. the only workouts i can do are push ups and pull ups.

i'm curious how you guys handle this inevitable problem?

Jezz

Don Juan
Reaction score
I use my own body weight as an effective substitute. Most normal moves can be done well just with this form of resistance. Also, any weights you may need can be in the form of the old favourite - Tins of beans. :D

grr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wall push-ups (where you're pushing your total body weight off the ground with your arms) has always been my favorite no-weights workout to keep the back in shape. For pecs you can do wide push-ups, triceps you can do regular push-ups. Forearms you can do finger push-ups. Running for legs..

Even just flexing the muscles a few times a day can help keep them from disappearing quickly. Read some bodybuilding books.

bud_2005

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What I don't understand in that article is that it says if you don't add resistance, you won't become stronger. But if you do the exercise until you can't do it anymore and your muscles are tired, isn't the same effect? The reason I ask is because I'm doing a workout that is exclusively pushups, situps, pullups, and chinups. If I can only do 20 pushups at a time, but if I work up until I can do 40 pushups at a time, haven't I become stronger? I have a couple friends in the Army and their test was a certain amount of pushups, situps they could do in a certain amount of time. You can't tell the Army that a person that does 80 pushups is no stronger than a person who can do 20 pushups.

Doggystyle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
use your vacation to rest your body, 5-6 days a week is too much, you dont need to exercise that much.

PumpingIron13

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just do what rocky did when he went to russia man, run up hills, pick up logs, pick up your dad as he sits on the couch

hitchcock1

Don Juan
Reaction score
the ironic thing is that when you're on vacation, you have time to work out, but no place to work out.

i've been running, but i've noticed that running every day is killing my calves. i think i've learned that vacation should be more about sitting on the beach, i agree with Doggystyle.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buy some free weights

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i also have the same situation, i know im gonna drink which is gona hurt my workout a bit, but i also want to do a couple e xercises to stay in shape. What do you guys recommend using for chinups?

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
let your muscles rest. Every three months or so I take a week or two completely off.