My oneitis keeps surprising me...

styleman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Even though I know I've lost my chances with my oneitis; this is because it's the same old story, (copied from ddeangelo's last e-mail):

Once upon a time, there was a man who was very
attracted to a particular woman.

At first, she was just another attractive
woman... but the more he got to know her, the more
he began to feel attracted to her... and the more
time he spent with her, the more that attraction
grew into a deep emotional attachment and
affection for her.

But, there was one problem.

As his emotional attachment grew stronger and
stronger, he also grew more and more insecure.

Why?

Because he couldn't tell whether or not she
felt the same way towards him.

Sometimes, she would say things like, "You are
so important to me" and "I'm glad that you're in
my life"... but nothing ever progressed past the
"friendship" stage.

There was an occasional hug, an occasional kiss
on the cheek from her... and once, she even held
his hand for a long time while he talked about an
emotional issue.

But, something was wrong with the picture.

She just wasn't acting like a woman that was
"falling in love". She was acting like a friend.

The insecurity that he felt became a spiral
that amplified itself... and the more insecure he
became, the more afraid he grew of "screwing
things up" by kissing her or asking her to be his
girlfriend.

Plus, the more insecure he became, the less
time she seemed to want to spend with him.

After spending many days and nights obsessing
over this girl, the man finally arrived at the
conclusion that, if she only knew how HE FELT, she
would feel the same way.

So, he made a bold move.

He TOLD HER how he felt.

He confessed that he was in love and that he
would do anything to be with her.

She looked at him with compassion in her eyes
and said, "Thank you... I really mean that... but
I don't want to mess up our friendship... you're
too important to me...."

This only confused the man more.

He didn't know how to take it...

Did it mean that she really loved him too, but
that she was afraid of something?

Did it mean that she wasn't ready for a long
term relationship?

Did it mean that she didn't love him, but that
she was trying to give him a hint?

Did it mean that he hadn't tried hard enough?

Did it mean that he needed to put everything on
the line and REALLY let her know how he felt?

He finally decided that he couldn't go on like
this anymore... he had to be with her.

He had to make sure that she knew just how much
he wanted to be with her... so, he took a big step
- He bought her a symbolic gift and wrote her a
long, long letter... again confessing his
feelings.

And then, the unthinkable happened.

She didn't reply.

He called her three times a day for almost a
week before reaching her.

She made an excuse about being very busy and
said, "I'll try to give you a call soon, I have to
go"... and hung up...

but... he never got a call back.

Over the following months the man tried
desperately to understand what went wrong... and
what happened.

THE END

Well anyway, my story is pretty similar but it's also a little different; we are still good friends, and when I say keeps surprising me - she often flirts with me, calls me, etc.

Also, when she rejected me, she had a genuine excuse, she had a boyfriend at the time. Before you guys tell me it's obvious why she rejected me then, I would like to make it clear that when I told her my feelings she was flirting a lot with me, so it's self explanitory. Moreover, this was in person, it did not involve any phones. Also there was never any talk about 'our friendship' at an stage of us knowing each other.

Now what really has me lost is what she just did. Her birthday was coming up, and we were just casualy talking, and I asked if there was anything she wanted (I know this is not correct according to the rules, but then if the rules were correct we would not know one another right now, this is why I see it as a guide rather than 'rules') Her reply, and though the first part was foreseable, the second part was not "You don't need to get me anything, but you can take me for lunch, that can be my birthday present". Now may be reading too deep into this, but I see this as her asking me for a date. I played it as cool as anyone could in terms of a oneitis for 5 years, I told her that I am busy at the begining of the week, but would love to later on in the week. So she replies "Great, call me when you want some lunch"...

Comments people? Good approach or bad? Is she making a fool of me or is it genuine?

Juan_Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes she is making a fool out of you. The reason she is a one-itis is not so much because you are fixated on this one girl but because your relationship with her is based on a one-way attraction. Get this through your thick skull. The only reason she is "surprising you" is because she wants your attention and nothing else. If you haven't gotten anywhere with her in five years, then it's time to let the h0 go.

flexion_

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes you are reading too deep into this.... somehow though I don't think any of us telling you are wasting 5 years of your life means anything.

vp171s

Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen here,

Ignore when people say you've "wasted" 5 years of your life. They don't know what it's like to have one-itis. Life is lesson, and one-itis is a process. Sooner or later you will come to see that you've become a much happier person. Your life all of a sudden feels much less complicated and you are able to wake up in the morning and enjoy the idea of a new day. All this will happen once you let go. I don't believe that you must end things in a hurtful way. Not at all. You must move on for your own sake, not for any other reason. If you guys were meant to be together, your paths will cross again and you will get a second chance, but as far as things are now, you have done everything and anything you can.

The way to let go, is to fill the gap in your mind with someone else or with something else. Trust me, she is not THE one, because if she was, we wouldn't be here.

I would suggest you not take her out to lunch because you will only spend the time admiring, memorizing her smile, her eyes and her touch. You are a caring person, I can tell, but that kind of attitude towards her is not giving you what you want, it's not letting you experience the appriciation that you deserve.

No matter the time frame, 1 month, 1 year, 5 years, it's not too late to move on. You will thank yourself.

That isn't bull**** by the way, I've been there.

Move on because you love yourself enough to know that your time is spent with someone that appriciates you, your emotions and your feelings, and most importantly is able to give back to you in return, themselves.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
styleman: Your confused because she's an attention w-hore. AW's will give you all the buying signals and even hook up with you if they have to go that far to keep the spotlight fixated on them. What you have to realize is this has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with you and EVERYTHING to do with her! Her ego is more inflated than a hot air balloon and she needs validation from male figures.

I agree about not having to follow the "rules" so strictly BUT it was completely a chump move from you to ask her if she wants anything. WTF are you her butler?

And as the others have already said, there's nothing to read into by her asking you to take her to lunch and buy her a present...LOL The only thing you'll be reading is the amount of money you'll be losing from your bank account. This chick doesn't give a flying fuvk about you and the only reason she will call you out of the blue and ask you to hangout is STRICTLY for attention. 5 years!!! C'mon man that's past pathetic! But hey if you want to continue clinging to hope and holding your breath for the day that she suddenly see's you as more than a friend, be my guest (you'll die from suffocation before that ever happens).

Go read the Bible!!

PIMP

styleman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I said no to lunch, and now she is still persuing me; almost got to the stage of begging. It's hard to resist, should I still say no? What makes it all the more hard is that she is a HB 9.9/10 and I'm not just saying it because she is my oneitis. I saw her around for quite a while before we became friends, and I thought HB 10 then as well.

Krassus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This site has seriously gone to sh1t lately. Judging by the replies above, most people here understand women even less than they did before they found this place. As Shark would say, "bunch of excusers running around and screaming NEXT! NEXT! for no reason." Listen up, man. She likes you. I don't know how much, but she clearly does. If she didn't, she'd ask you to buy her a new cell phone or a necklace, but she's giving up material goods for... time with you. I don't know how i can make this any more clear to you. Not only that, but judging from your last post, she keeps asking to see you over and over. Once again, i don't know how this can be any more black-and-white than it already is. So yea, go have lunch with her man. For all you know, she could be looking for a bf, and you fit the bill. I've seen it happen a million times: girl realizes her bf is an a$$hole, dumps him, and falls madly in love with a long-time friend. And if not... who cares? Go have lunch anyway :) At least you'll end up with a good friend.

styleman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Krassus said:
This site has seriously gone to sh1t lately. Judging by the replies above, most people here understand women even less than they did before they found this place. As Shark would say, "bunch of excusers running around and screaming NEXT! NEXT! for no reason." Listen up, man. She likes you. I don't know how much, but she clearly does. If she didn't, she'd ask you to buy her a new cell phone or a necklace, but she's giving up material goods for... time with you. I don't know how i can make this any more clear to you. Not only that, but judging from your last post, she keeps asking to see you over and over. Once again, i don't know how this can be any more black-and-white than it already is. So yea, go have lunch with her man. For all you know, she could be looking for a bf, and you fit the bill. I've seen it happen a million times: girl realizes her bf is an a$$hole, dumps him, and falls madly in love with a long-time friend. And if not... who cares? Go have lunch anyway :) At least you'll end up with a good friend.
Thanks for some positive advice. Even though it may not be right (and I'm not criticizing you here; I’m just saying it because you are in the minority) I feel so happy to read something positive about her.
As for the other posters, sure they have a point, but part of it is my fault. 5 years oneitis, yes, but I was not abstaining during that time! I went out with other girls! Sure, I still liked her, but I got on with my life...
I'm going to follow your advise, because nothing bad can really come of it, whilst if I don't I can only regret it. Thanks again.

FaithHealer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Krassus said:
:woo: Great post! You guys gotta realize that not everyone's goals are the same in this game. Some guys want to put notches in their bedposts, while some are just tired of attention *****s and want to find a good woman to be with.

Don't build her up in your mind and put her on a pedestal. Guys that get oneitis think that the girl they have it for is so unique and irreplacable. No girl is irreplacable. Don't have that attitude of scarcity. Expect nothing major and keep your options open.

Plant a seed, and if it grows cool. If it doesn't, there are billions of other women in the world.