milk is bad... then answer this

dj ben2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ive been skimming through posts and have seen numerous times different people saying milk is bad for you and how its not meant for humans then answer this ..... isnt whey powder extracted from milk ? is whey powder bad for you?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whey is a dairy product yes but how much lactose it has compared to milk. how much milk do you need to drink to get 25g (one scoop usually) of protein? how much lactose do you get with that? and some people can't have whey (concentrate) because of the lactose in it and use whey isolate instead which is virtually all protein.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally I think WBA is biased due to lactose intolerance -- if milk did that to me I'd stay as far from it as possible, too.

If you're (relatively) lactose tolerant, the problem with milk is that it's high in sugar compared to the amount of protein you get out of it. The protein in milk itself is much more casein than whey protein. That's good for a long-lasting fix of protein, but much less useful right after a tough workout.

The other trouble with milk is that unless you use skim/fat-free (and some people can't stand the taste) then all the fat is saturated fat. You need some saturated fat in your diet, but there are better places to get it (fairly lean red meat, for example).

All the other alleged problems with milk are hogwash as far as I've been able to ascertain, including concerns about bovine growth hormone.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle,

Most people if not everyone has some degree of lactose intolerance even if there's no immediate signs like bloating or gas or stomach cramps. Our digestive system simply is not designed to process a food which is perfect for baby cows but not human beings!

dj ben2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i think WBA is right the only people who stick up for milk are the people who are addicted to it the ones drinking a gallon a day

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the wikipedia does a good job of explaining why 'lactose intolerance' is so puzzling to white Americans like me -- the vast majority of us are genetically disposed to be lactose tolerant. the problem has nothing to do with cows per se, since all milk -- including human milk -- includes lactase. not that I plan on.....

uh, nevermind.

I stick up for milk... a little, though I only drink a gallon or two per week... now, Diet Coke & Diet Mountain Dew, both of which i am hopelessly addicted to, are completely indefensible...

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*yawn* apparently milk causes all the same things as aspartame...

well, hell i'm screwed... i'll let you know when i'm diagnosed with cancer.

musclyjerk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you suffer physical symptoms from drinking milk - nasty gas, bloating, stomache ache, bad breath - you should avoid it and most protein shakes/powders.

Don't avoid foods or milk if you don't suffer any symptoms though.

I have seen some powders that claim lactose free etc but read those labels carefully. Personally I don't use protein powders/shakes at all, not when there's the choice of so much meat.

The Muscly Jerk

TheLadiesMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From what I've learned about American Dairy, and cattle, it's no surprise that we shouldn't drink milk these days. What farmers do to their cattle to produce milk is F'd up. High dosages of estrogen to the cows, carries over into the milk that we drink. It's no wonder why men are walking around with shrunken balls, and man titties.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I like milk. It's easy to drink and it has a lot of protein, and you can get organic milk that doesn't have all the hormones and chemicals and whatnot. I never have any ill effects from it unless I drink A LOT..

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Musclyjerk, even if you have no obvious side effects from consuming dairy products it doesn't mean you're digesting them properly. I'm not saying that a splash of milk in your coffee or a lil cheese on your burger is going to do you any harm but just because you're not getting bloated or have gas or whatever doesn't mean you can handle dairy.

Kerpal, there are far better sources of protein which don't come with a boatload of lactose. I don't believe human beings can get the most out of dairy proteins because of this. Milk has more carbs per serving than protein, that's not an efficient protein source in my book.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, I just checked. 1 cup milk = 8 grams protein, 11 grams carbs :eek:

John_Galt

Banned
Reaction score
I drink milk. If it doesnt cause a problem for you, than drink it, if it does, don't. I usually add it to just my whey shake only though.

biketrials

Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually goats milk and cows milk that is unpasturized can be good for you. You just need to find a farm near you that sells the stuff from one of their cows and not the ones they use to sell to mass companies because those have anti-biotics, map virus, and almost all nutrients are destroted so they add their own man made nutrients to it. Goats milk is easier to digest therefore better for you but cows milk is not much worse and both are full good fats and nutrients that we need to survie. Why have people been drinking milk for thousands of years if we are not supposed to eat it?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
biketrials said:
Actually goats milk and cows milk that is unpasturized can be good for you. You just need to find a farm near you that sells the stuff from one of their cows and not the ones they use to sell to mass companies because those have anti-biotics, map virus, and almost all nutrients are destroted so they add their own man made nutrients to it. Goats milk is easier to digest therefore better for you but cows milk is not much worse and both are full good fats and nutrients that we need to survie. Why have people been drinking milk for thousands of years if we are not supposed to eat it?
You mean raw milk and that's about the best form of dairy, but 'best' isn't saying much. People are supposed to have their mother's milk and after that be weened off LIKE EVERY OTHER MAMMAL IN THE WORLD, lol.

I can tell the difference between a child who's been breast-fed and a child who's been given cows milk all their life, and it's quite disturbing.

typical

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK sweet milk = bad for you and we all agree ( I'll throw a dumbbell at any opposition lol)

Now the real question WBA how can you tell the difference between the two I'm intrigued aye.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
compare two children, one who's breast-fed and one who was on cow's milk.. see which one of them has the most flus/coughs/colds/stomach upsets/panic attacks/breathing problems.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use to drink a tall glass of milk in the morning. Let's just say the people around me started to hate me.

If you're going to drink milk, do it at night like I do.

biketrials

Don Juan
Reaction score
Actuallly I was fed cows milk and goats milk as a child that was raw and I have never had the flu, chronic cough, colds for more than a day. I am one of the healthiest kids in my school and it has all come down to how much work I have done for my body. You have to do everything in moderation and work out by doing more body weight exercises. You need to live outside and not indoors and that all comes down to creating a more healthy child. Its not like, "I drink cows milk so I am unhealthy" or anything like that.