matrix&fight club-what is so important in them?

callmemister

Don Juan
Reaction score
hi

so why all the love for those movies?
why are they so revolutionary?

ready for the red pill
alex

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never seen fight club, but its guys beating the sh*t out of eachother, Whats not to love? As for the Matrix, it makes you think. It's crazy, it's action, it makes you go "Could this really happen?"

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
callmemister said:
hi

so why all the love for those movies?
why are they so revolutionary?

ready for the red pill
alex
have you even watched them yet?

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Both movies are "revolutionary" because they prompt you to question your reality. That is, you follow along with the main characters, and in time you find out that there is MUCH MORE to their realities - the lives they live are seemingly plain, just like yours or mine (essentially). In both movies, the main characters were living in very "unreal" realities (as are the suffering masses of men who are living as AFCs). That is why they are popular here: the changes in the main characters once the "real reality" is presented.

In the Matrix, the main character realizes he has been fooled his whole life (much like people before finding this site). Once shown the truth about his reality, the bulk of the movie follows along as the main character struggles to accept the new reality (not unlike a bootcamp journal here, for example)

In Fight Club, the main character realizes a problem with his life, but doesn't rely on conventional methods to make changes (in his chumpishness, he lacks the capacity for change, so he "recruits help"). Ultimately, he resorts to extreme methods to free himself from his former life... in addition to evolve as a man. Oh, and few pay attention to how "he" DJ's the woman in the movie.

After you see Fight Club once, watch it again, this time paying attention how DJ'd the woman gets. Pay attention to the "AFC's" interaction, compare the DJ's interaction, then consider the combined effect... :up:

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re;

Chuck Pahalaniuk (sp?) has always had a way of looking at life from a unique perspective. Read "Choke" if you want something along the lines of Fight Club. When you read the book though, it's a bit different than the Movie. Having viewed both, the book doesn't emphasize what the movie does...which is the feminization of man and the commercialization of society. It's alot about him going nuts, and then boiling life down into some despondent pot of sarcasm, unique to Chuck's writing.

I think people have exhaulted Fight Club the movie because they're always looking for the holy grail. It does make good points all around, and if you read Chuck's work, you'll see he does in a variety ways about a great many things. But again...

This gets back to reality. Chuck and his characters are not reality, or are they? Have you adopted their reality, views, and beliefs because you feel they will get you closer to the happiness you seek inside? Or is it just a crutch and personal dogma, of something to cling to in this crazy, crazy world?

The Matrix is unique because it's main point was to allude to the fact that maybe THIS is not real. It doesn't have to be reality, because it can't be effectively proven or disproven, and it's interesting in alot of ways that blend sci-fi, religion, and metaphysics into a movie that's action packed.

But again...people adopt these as REALITY and then cling to them for identity, because without them, they feel they have no identity. They espouse the beliefs so people know who they are and what they stand for, like a business card stamped to their forehead. And yet, people float from beliefs to beliefs throughout. Some they ditch, and some they just embed deeper into their psyche.

Because we're the VIEWERS and EXPERIENCERS of reality, it's quite difficult to say THIS IS TRUE, THIS IS NOT TRUE, as we can't VERIFY reality without also EFFECTING reality. The one device we use to VERIFY things is also a flawed device in that it's not 100% pure, clean, unemotional, and logical. That thing, our bring, is clouded with emotion, past, present, and future concerns, fears, judgement, expectation, anticipation, etc, etc. SO how can one say...THIS is true without questing how true you are or life is?

A-Unit

Yotsuya-san

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Vulpine said:
Both movies are "revolutionary" because they prompt you to question your reality. That is, you follow along with the main characters, and in time you find out that there is MUCH MORE to their realities - the lives they live are seemingly plain, just like yours or mine (essentially). In both movies, the main characters were living in very "unreal" realities (as are the suffering masses of men who are living as AFCs). That is why they are popular here: the changes in the main characters once the "real reality" is presented.

In the Matrix, the main character realizes he has been fooled his whole life (much like people before finding this site). Once shown the truth about his reality, the bulk of the movie follows along as the main character struggles to accept the new reality (not unlike a bootcamp journal here, for example)

In Fight Club, the main character realizes a problem with his life, but doesn't rely on conventional methods to make changes (in his chumpishness, he lacks the capacity for change, so he "recruits help"). Ultimately, he resorts to extreme methods to free himself from his former life... in addition to evolve as a man. Oh, and few pay attention to how "he" DJ's the woman in the movie.

After you see Fight Club once, watch it again, this time paying attention how DJ'd the woman gets. Pay attention to the "AFC's" interaction, compare the DJ's interaction, then consider the combined effect... :up:
Haven't other older movies been there and done all this?

Reaction score
Yotsuya-san said:
Haven't other older movies been there and done all this?
Yes but those two movies are more geared toward today's generation, so more ppl can relate to it. That's why in fight club the narrator's name isn't mentioned to allow the character to fit the average joe persona. I like to watch matrix just for Morphius' quotes.

Both movies are good for male thought provoking, personally I thought fight club wasn't good the first time but after watching it the second time I finally got the whole meaning and now it's one of my favorite movies. Other good movies are Batman Begins and Gladiator, Batman Begins shows soul searching and how a boy matures into a man! The quote are amazing in the movie. Gladiator shows true chivary and honor.

sparky0000

Banned
Reaction score
Both movies are good if you are the average 30 year old dude living in total anonymity in a place like America. It is escapism at its best. I have said it before, and I will say it again. There is nothing worse than being an average 30-something year old male living in America. You become nothing more than a punch line for stupid blue-collar beer advertisements.

I can't be the only one who finds it difficult to sit through a few hours of another man's dreams. Am I?

ExploringOne

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you really pay attention, you'll find that about 95% of the movies out there have the same rehashed plot. These two movies were not revolutionary (maybe as special effects go).

For whatever reason though, Fight Club, and Matrix have forced alot of people to think just a little...after the movie ended.

Just watch them.