Master DJs, could YOU pull this chick?

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
its not even about a chick

Its about some trigger happy frustrated columbine wannabe who wants to go to night clubs and imagine tripping people down the stairs, smashing people's faces in and making fun of phat chicks in party hats

dude sounds like he needs to be in restraints

MoAF

Don Juan
Reaction score
I loved the theme, but it was poorly thrown together. In the beginning especially the sentences didn't flow together...

"Their arms feel like their reaching out for me" should be "I feel their arms reaching out for me"

Little changes in syntax would REALLY breathe some life into this [twisted] story ;).

"To think that he believes he can talk to me, to even address me with his eyes never mind his tongue is lodged in my brain" That needs to be re-written

"are fanatical in their speed, arms and hands moving faster than the eye can follow, drinks appearing like magic in their hands" :)

"I look pointedly at her legs in disgust, and as she looks me up and down in return, I make a show of stretching one of my long slim tanned legs" :)

"My mind wanders on, up the stairs of black walls and peeling posters. On the wall the dog playing cards is still staring at those that enter, but i’m sure I see a slight smile on his face now. The smile that I could never show. Out of the double doors, and out into the wet glossy city street, where the two sentinels watch over all those that pass. Their masks still peeling, their eyes still tired. And finally my mind is free, to run with those precious few sound waves that have managed to emerge from the dark and escape into the bright neon night, to run among the gleaming taxis and brightly lit buses. To escape into the city, and forget the sights and sounds and smells of what lies behind those doors. To sneak quivering past the sentinels, those black jackets that guard the exit, not the entrance.

*My mind escapes, but my body dances on, unrelenting in the heat and noise. The nightclub has me. And I have it. Forever.*

I dance." :)

:) = I love it! Especially this *X* part... wow! Sorry, its 2 in the morn here so if you can't understand this writer lady just email me... moafoi@hotmail.com

IN RESPONSE TO EVERYONE ELSE - this was an awesome story. However, I too had an urge to skim it... with a little polish it'll be easier to read.

I find women like the main character oh-so sexy... where can I find one?

And I could DEFINATLY land this chick... do we have any betting men in the crowed?

Thayli

Reaction score
Okay, well thanks to all that could be bothered reading this marathon post, and much appreciation goes ure way. More so to those that posted replys, its a wonder u could be bothered breathing never mind typing after getting through that lot.

Right for a start the writer(me) aint female for any of u that are still on the fence, and as far as im aware, i never have been. Im not hate-filled (most of the time), nor overly twisted, (again, most of the time). I've been in a monogomous relationship for past 4 years (which after spending the last 2hrs looking through this site, probably means ive not got much buisness being here lol), so at best u could say i was plain under-the-thumb bored. Anyway, bugsquish gave me a suggestion last night that i write about guys and nightclubs (i wasnt aware that this site existed at the time, i could have done with the material), my gf has wanted me to try writing from a female point of view for last few months, i figured it was an intresting challenge. Add in to that i wanted to try my hand at present tense writing compared to the usual 3rd person or past tense stuff, and u have the biatch presented above.

I assure u all, if i had imagined it was going to get posted anywhere it would have been very diffrent. 1/4 the lengh for a start. As it was, i was tired, the subject matter was boring, and naturally i twisted it to make it a little more readable. (And failed miserably by the look of the posts lol).I simply decided to turn his suggestion round a bit and give buggy a cautionary tale to see if i could swipe some of his newly-rediscovered DJness from under his feet. The reason the biatch is so extreme is simply because i didnt think for a moment id paint a realistic 'normal' bird, so i went the full hog and just made her plain old mental. Which seems to have made her more believable to some.... draw ure own conclusions.

Anyway, the lassie is loosely my gf, her biatchiness when i first met her magnified to what i thought was pretty drastic surreal levels. The post by iqqi mentioned the overkill of metaphor, and i wholeheartedly agree lol. The problem was i was writing it to be read by buggy and the gf, noone else, and i would hope that bugsquish at least realised that the vast majority of the metaphors were actually the reality. Any of u who have ever been to busy clubs whilst on acid (lsd to the states) should see what im meaning. :) I only put the descriptions in metaphor form so my gf whos never wasted her life on RD's wouldnt feel left out, and she'd still be able to follow the descriptions. (My ability to write on two levels is sadly lacking).

And thats pretty much it, the overall "overly critical analysis of today's 'clubbing' environment" (posted by lionheart) comes from the fact ive spent too long on the wrong side of the mahogany in city clubs. By the time the gf got me to pack up bartending i was pretty jaded by the entire scene and prefered a quiet pub with a good jukebox and cheap beer to a club anyday.

So anyway, thanks again to all that replyed and those that read but were asleep by the end. Sorry for taking up ure forum space with something that probably didnt belong here. And cheers to buggy who did me the honour of thinking it did.

I'm a guy, the storys fiction, and it was a surrealistic warning to buggy. Nothing more.

P.S. Holy sh1t starman, my gf has been laughing for the last 10mins at ure first post. I still havent decided whither u were being serious or just have an incredibly dry sense of humour. :confused:

Starman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You write pretty good...but like Iqqi said you use too many adjectives to describe everything you see, hear, smell, taste etc..

It reminded me of a creative writing class where your specific goal is focus on describing your senses

while you have a good imagination and excellent metaphor skillz..you have to be careful who your target reader is..

if you are trying to impress a bunch of college professors and dry acedameia..you are doing great

if you are trying to relate to contemporary readers its a bit too dry and lengthy..I imagine if you wrote the entire book in the format..the whole story would span 10,000 pages

cootielicious

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by iqqi
great story, but not interesting enough to NOT skim. overkill of metaphor, made it take a nosedive into corniness. not enough character development to make audience get a rats ass about main character. that combination leads to first sentence, great story, but not interesting enough to NOT skim.
I like to look at this as constructive criticism; any aspiring writer should welcome it. It can only help writers to improve their art in contrast to simple insults pertaining to the writing. Nice and brief critiques, iqqi and Starman. I will like to take this opportunity to add one of my own.

Bugsquish, since you did not deny the references to the story as being your own, I will assume that you wrote it.
Your writing is good but iqqi provided you with valuable information when it comes to writing stories. One of the most important tools to use in writing is the use of hooks.

Your very first sentence must hook your audience if you want them to read
your piece to the very last word. It must immediately spark their imagination and curiosity.

Below is an excerpt from a short story I am writing and plan to post. It is much longer than your story so I have an incredible task of hooking my audience in the first sentence and continue to provide hooks that won't let them go.

Squirrels DonJuan, you’re under arrest! Declared the Grand Stylist officer, the point of his spear at my heart. I began to sweat, hoping my heart wouldn’t beat through my chest and become pierced by the blade. Trying to maintain my composure I said, “I have not done any thing wrong. Why do you come to apprehend me?”
Immediately most of the readers will recognize the name as a fellow poster and wonder what is the "big deal."
Second, the name is unusual for any character therefore, it is interesting. Furthermore, the name DonJuan is something that my readers will identify with.

Questions my readers will wonder about:

What in the hell is a Grand Stylist officer? Why should we even care?
I am hoping they will care because Squirrels, a respected poster, is involved.

Why in the hell is a spear being used rather than a gun?

Why is Squirrels being apprehended? Has he done something wrong?

Why is he so scared that he feels as if his heart is beating so fast that it will burst through his chest and become pierced by the spear blade?

In this story, continuous hooks must be laid down if I want to keep my audience in for the long haul. Remember, a well written story is never too long. Movies can be too long but readers are always disappointed when a good well-written story comes to its end.

You obviously have talent so don't stop writing.

Oscar Wilde

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, it's very obviously Scottish...

To the guys who replied and obviously didn't read it - go back and read it through before commenting stupidly.

Back to the Scottish comment - reminds me of Banks. Overall, it's very good, but extremely dark and too depressing for me I'm afraid :)

Cheers for the read.

Oscar.

bugsquish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay folks, glad you read it (those who did). Thayli and I were a little worried it would be lost on here. He wrote it for me as a suggestion (I wanted a happy tale of DJing, he never gives his readers what they want ;)) and I thought it would be good for you guys to speculate what may be going on inside the head of the next HB9 you approach :D

Anyways, NO Starman the main character aint a dude (but the author is) - hopefully you realise that now if you've read it. NO Cootie I didn't write it, it was written by Thayli who signed up for the sole purpose of responding to your comments on the post above.

Best of all you're giving this guy the constructive criticism he needs. I couldn't give unbiased feedback cuz I know the author personally. I love it, there's no masking it. Once I shook off the image of him dressed as a girl (a few paragraphs in) and accepted the biatch for who she is - i hated her - and wanted to fu*k her ;)

Keep the comments coming guys. I know one day he'll get a book out there.

Thayli

Reaction score
Originally posted by Oscar Wilde
Wow, it's very obviously Scottish...

Oscar.
Just looking at that post Wilde, how the hell were u so convinced it was Scottish? I wasn't aware i had used any language or dialect that was a giveaway. Or is it just that all Scottish clubs are very similar to the hole in the ground described above lol? :)

Either way, ure bang on and a great deduction from my point of view. And to ure comment about Banks, i wont even dignify that with an answer. *Dances, Moonwalks, Dances a bit more*

Oscar Wilde

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, now I must admit I knew busquish was in Scotland. But there are some other hints, like the cabs, the darkness, depression and rain. When I mentioned Banks, I meant the scene you set rather than the writing style.

Hope that makes sense :)

Osc.

Oscar Wilde

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Thayli
Darkness, depression and rain.

Yeah ok, i see ure point lol.
Apologies... errr, it's almost as bad here, honest...

hehe...

bugsquish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dionysius_d
yeah except for the comment about the tanned legs..

i dunno many tanned scots, irish or english for that matter.
Here in Glasgow there's a bit of a sunbed culture going on. You'd be surprised. I dunno what it's like in Edinburgh where Thayli is but I'm assuming it's the same.

Oscar, I assumed you saw Thayli's location was "Scotland" :) but if you really did get the Scottish feel of the story then well done to you for getting it, and Thayli for conveying it.

Thayli what do you think of the DJ forum? Good bunch of guys here. I know you though being in a LLLLLLTR might make it irrelevant to you but this site can even help you improve that :).