Martial Arts that help in a fight..

Heyjose25points

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering which martial arts are good to stand a chance in a fight(I got my ass beat in a college party, cuz a guy accused me of taking advantage of a girl for which i didn't, he was really buff) It was too much of an emotional scar, and if i'm in a situation like that next time, i want to be able to put up a good fight, which one of these three do you guys recommend: Krav Maga, Brazilian Ju Jitsu or Muay Thai, and which one is the quickest to learn effectively?

Bradshaw

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically do a little researches on the styles that people are currently using (and wining with) in mixed martial arts competition. These days, most of the mma guys do not adhere to a particular style. They incorporate the best moves from each of the styles to make a hybrid style. Think of developing moves in each of the ranges of fighting.

Striking Range
Boxing skills are damn near a necessity. Kicking and kick defense skills are as well. Muay Thai and western boxing cover everything that you would need.

Clinch / Takedown
Slightly closer than striking range. Mauy Thai is absolutely vicious in this range. Clinching with knees to the head! You also need to be able to takedown opponents and have the ability to ‘sprawl’ to avoid taken attempts. Wrestling is best, but skills can be learned in other systems (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu).

Ground Fighting
You need skills in gaining dominant positions, submissions and chokeholds. I’d highly advise Brazilian Jiu Jitsu because it is still in use in most mma competitions, but is actually more effective in the street. The reason: in mma competitions most guys fight in shorts (at most). In the street, most people have clothing on. BJJ has many chokes that involve the use of a ‘collar’ or clothing.

Remember to train like an athlete would. You can never have a good enough cardio system. Think about training for shorts busts of aggressiveness. Do a search for HIIT. Do not neglect strength and flexibility either.

These guys will answer a lot of questions that you have specifically about training.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/index.php?

Scroll down to the ‘Training Discussion’ sections. There are enough quality people there that will flame anyone who tries to give bad advice. Lurk for a while until you begin to recognize the difference between the keyboard warriors and the guys who actually know what they are talking about. Once you begin posting, ignore the keyboard warriors.

Bradshaw

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fight, Flight or Freeze Response.

This is one of the most important aspects of being victorious in a street encounter.

Quick analogy:
Bob is 25 years old. Bob talks for hours everyday. He talks to anyone that will listen. Bob loves to talk. Bob’s boss decides to give him the job of summarizing the company’s future plans in front of a meeting with the company shareholders. Bob agrees. Bob gets up on the podium, stares out into the audience….. and doesn’t say a word. He turns red then looks down. Bob shuffles of the stage in shame.

Back To MMA:
In the above example, do you think that Bob needed more training in how to talk? Not likely. Bob needed training in overcoming his anxiety of performing in front of people. The same concept applies to defending yourself in the street.

We have all heard stories about Black Belts who got there a$$es kicked in the streets. This is why. They had the skill, but they couldn’t perform this skill once the fight, flight or freeze response kicked in. Luckily there is a solution. It is called adrenaline dump training.

http://www.self-defense-world.com/adrenal-rush_article.htm

You can practice this at home if you don’t want to pay for a seminar. Just visualize for a few minutes (with as much clarity as possible) a situation in which you felt threatened. Your adrenaline should begin to increase. Now punch a heavy bag in rapid succession until you collapse. Eventually your body will get used to ‘fighting’ when it feels threatened compared to ‘freezing’. You should only do this once or twice a week though because it is hard on you psychologically as well as physically.

FrustratedChump

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GodsGiftToWomen
TaeKwonDo (studied in U.S. for 5 years) and Karate will get you killed unless you studied in Korea or Japan. [/B]
I disagree with this statement. You're generalizing such a broad range of different styles when you use the word Karate.

There's sport karate, which is obviously designed for competition. There's karate designed for self defence. And then there's the karate that revolves around spirituality.

There's so many types of karate. Dont think because you studied one style you understand them all.

Personally I study Karate to improve my striking skills, and I study jiu jistu to make sure I can handle myself on the ground.

However I've trained with some incredible karate-ka over the years... And believe me, you wouldnt want to fight them.