Making the compliment a powerful weapon again

Jackman

Don Juan
Reaction score
You may have heard some men tell you that paying a woman a compliment might not be such a great idea. That you really don't want to be the guy that says something along the lines of, "Your eyes, they're so beautiful, blue like the ocean, sparkle like diamonds...blah blah blah..." Of course, this is absolutely true. Don't be that guy. But you also should not get the impression that compliments are completely off limits either, because a proper compliment done the right way can be a very powerful weapon within the arsenal of charisma.

Some time back I was out on a date with this very attractive woman, a foreign girl, and she had mentioned early on in the date how much she hated her accent. I had told her that she shouldn't hate her accent because a lot of guys actually find it to be very sexy and attractive. Do you know what she told me? She said that's exactly why she hated it so much. Apparently, it's the first thing almost every guy she meets instinctively goes to as a source of flattery, and after having heard it a million times, it lost it's vigor, it's impact. In my effort to point out a positive I instead ended up on the receiving end of a lot of complaining. If I had better luck, I would have just gotten a mediocre, half-hearted thank you.

She was also a very young girl as well, but I had no idea how old she was at the time. She seemed very intelligent and very mature to me, and after a few hours of conversation when she had mentioned to me that she was only 21 years old, I was shocked. I told her that I thought she was at least 25 or 26. Immediately, I received a wide eyed, big smiled, enthusiastic "Thank You!". Her body literally lifted up out of her seat a few inches, somewhat the same way you would if you were sort of slouching then suddenly straightened your spine and puffed your chest out. She physically exploded with appreciation.

After having felt the massive difference between one compliment and the other, I started to figure out what a good compliment really was. Later on during this same date I even managed to redeem myself on the first "compliment" that exploded in my face. While she was talking, a few words within one of her sentences wrought thick with accent came through with absolutely no accent at all. I noticed it, brought it to light and it was the same thing: She physically exploded with appreciation.

Now, there is a reason why a physical reaction is so highly sought after here. We are doing it for more reasons than to just make a good impression. That reason is kino. Touching. A woman that is physically enthusiastic will begin to touch, and I don't think I really need to explain where that eventually leads to. By igniting this process within her, it becomes increasingly easier to escalate the seduction process. It becomes much more likely that the date will end on a natural, intimate, physical note.

So what are the exact principles that lead to a great compliment that has a physical effect?

By now, I'm hoping you've noticed at least the first principle, in that it should not be obvious. It shouldn't be something she likely hears all of the time. This is precisely why complimenting a beautiful woman on her looks often turns out to be very lame. A general rule of thumb here is that if it's a popular concept men often use, then just forget it. Don't go there.

The second principle is that the best compliment in many cases take a little time to discover. This is because it requires some listening. It requires a piece of information you were completely unaware of just moments ago. It will come to you as a gift with a bow on it. A little surprise. And all you have to do is throw it back at her. Odds are, she is going to set herself up for the compliment. You just have to pay attention.

The third principle is that a compliment that yields a positive physical reaction will more than likely be a subject she feels slightly insecure about, rather than proud of. When I told this girl she looked older, when I noticed her perfect English pronunciation, these were her self-perceived weaknesses, not strengths. (On a side note, charisma essentially is the ability to make other people feel good about themselves when they are around you.)

And finally, the fourth principle is that it should be a general observation, not a romantic one. Remember, your goal is to get her to feel physically ignited rather than feel physically observed. You'll get plenty of physical "observation" in when the touching begins. Trust me.

Boschy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
A general rule of life: pay attention.

I complimented a girl walking past us in a busy club: she had short hair, rather boyish actually, but it was well done and a professional job. I said, "Hey, I like your hair cut. The short length suits you."

Well she smiled and kept walking. Then about four minutes later she came back and thanked me for the compliment, then we chatted. This didn't lead anywhere, but it goes to show that the right compliment can work. (Standard PUA wisdom really.)

Bizzaro

Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice Jackman, i'll definately take note.

Jackman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Boschy said:
A general rule of life: pay attention.

I complimented a girl walking past us in a busy club: she had short hair, rather boyish actually, but it was well done and a professional job. I said, "Hey, I like your hair cut. The short length suits you."

Well she smiled and kept walking. Then about four minutes later she came back and thanked me for the compliment, then we chatted. This didn't lead anywhere, but it goes to show that the right compliment can work. (Standard PUA wisdom really.)

This is very true. But I've been discovering that, in close detail, there are three separate tiers of compliments and each have their own impacted power at different times. When you know how to separate and use them properly, you can kind of create a process of escalation.

You have the first tier introductory compliment, which is usually something simple, usually expected and typically generates simple results. You tend to notice it right away. I call it 'introductory' because it is often based on an immediate impression, a hair style, a behavior of some type, et cetera. Whether you've known the person for 5 seconds or 5 years doesn't matter, it remains introductory because it is a new, simple observation.

Then you have the second tier discovery compliment, which is something a little more crafted. I call it "discovery" because it usually involves a depth process, a learning process. The results typically generate a more personal or intimate knowledge that in itself generates a mood, a feeling, a "click: if you will, that begins to connect two people because it isn't so much expected to happen. This is the type of compliment I was focusing on in my article above.

Then you have the third tier which is a "bonding" compliment. This is essentially an introductory compliment that yields the results of a discovery type compliment, in that it is usually simple, observational and probably long overdue, but when it is used, it unsuspectingly generates new moods and feelings on a more intimate level.

Have you ever been out on a date with a woman to a formal/public affair of some sort, lets say a wedding, and later on that night she's wild and promiscuous for what seems like no reason? That reason usually isn't just because she suddenly decided she was horny and wanted to screw. Something ignited that feeling, and that something is usually that you unsuspectingly impressed her with your behaviour. Sometimes this behaviour is just you being a man. It's just her observing you socially and appreciating that you're so manly. Sometimes it is because of something you said. Sometimes it a little of both.

A few months back I had taken a girl I was sparsely dating to my sister's wedding. I dropped by her place to pick her up and her roommate had answered the door because she was still getting ready. So I sat in the living room waiting. When she came out, she of course asked, "How do I look?". I said simply, "You look good". It was an introductory compliment. She smiled, she said thank you. That was it. No fireworks. Nothing special.

The drive to the wedding was a little bit of a haul. It was a 2 hour ride, so after a little while there were those quiet, nobody is talking kind of moments. That's when I turned to her and said, "You know, Michelle, I really like the way the curves of your legs fall out from the lines on that dress. It looks elegant. It looks classy." A very sexy posture fell completely over her body. She gave one of those coy smiles and a sort of drawn out, genuine, soft thank you. It's hard to explain, but if you've ever seen it you'd know exactly what I mean. This was the "discovery" compliment. As I said earlier, it eased a slight insecurity. When a man simply says "you look good", it means nothing to a woman, especially when she had to ask. But when it comes like this, it's unexpected. It's more personal. Had I just fired this at her when she came out of the bedroom back at the apartment, it probably wouldn't have had the same effect because she expected it then. I was able to maintain that state for most of the night in the way I introduced her to people by putting my hand on the small of her back. By brushing her hair away from her face as I asked her if she wanted a drink. The physical ignition. The physical escalation. By the end of the night she was in a very sexual state of mind. In essence, I was able to go from compliment to kino smoothly. This is the underlying point of my initial post.

I'm not going to get into a working example of bonding compliments because there really is no way for me to do it without it sounding corny. It's too attached to moments of intimacy, romance and so forth. But what I will say about it is that this is usually the type of compliment that gives compliments a bad name, because this is what a lot of desperate, overly-sentimental, inexperienced men try to use on women in introductory kinds of situations when it should be saved for much more intimate times.

Overall, what I'm trying to highlight and emphasise is the compliment => kino escalation process. I'm trying to pinpoint the tools and the moods that can be controlled and manipulated in the game.

Boschy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Compliments fall under the bracket of giving effective feedback, i.e. noticing details, being unemotional (when warranted), getting the mix of subjectivity and objectivity right, etc.

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
****y and funny has become commonplace. if you type "dating" into any torrent, or file-sharing program, "double your dating" and other David Deangelo things will start poping up nearly instantaneously. this separates most guys (not including genuine DJs or PUAs) into 2 groups:
Those who use compliments incorrectly (the "nice guy"), and those who use C+F incorrectly(the wannabe DJ/PUA). The problem is that the guys who are high status forget about the power of a compliment (because they are too busy being, or acting, high status). Unfortunately, the wannabes are usually the ones who believe that compliments never work under any context, and they believe that they gotta tease, tease, tease.

having a confident, teasing, playful attitude, combined with genuine compliments used correctly just cannot be beat :D

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if it's a popular concept men often use, then just forget it. Don't go there.

I agree. Much of this advice works with neg-hits, too. If you are observant, you can notice the quirky little things about her that make the perfect neg-hit.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
THE_ADDMAN said:
****y and funny has become commonplace. if you type "dating" into any torrent, or file-sharing program, "double your dating" and other David Deangelo things will start poping up nearly instantaneously. this separates most guys (not including genuine DJs or PUAs) into 2 groups:
Those who use compliments incorrectly (the "nice guy"), and those who use C+F incorrectly(the wannabe DJ/PUA). The problem is that the guys who are high status forget about the power of a compliment (because they are too busy being, or acting, high status). Unfortunately, the wannabes are usually the ones who believe that compliments never work under any context, and they believe that they gotta tease, tease, tease.

D
Funny, my girlfriend has just started a new job and as an uber-hottie the men there are all trying the c&f. When she first reported all the guys teasing her I could tell she'd kinda liked it. However a month later she's bored and irritated because that's all these guys are doing and it comes across as fake and predictable.

I also agree that AFCs have debased the compliment. They should be deployed carefully, timing and context are key. Be original and she'll remember it forever.

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. predictable :) exactly. I forgot to mention that, but its true.

the other day, in my massage class, my partner was kind of a stuck up girl, with real attitude. anyways, we were using my linens for that day, and it was her turn on the table first (we take turns practicing techniques etc on eachother). so before she lies on the table, I say to her "you showered today.. right?" lol, she was shocked. few more comments like that, and her attitude just disappeared.

you should only use enough energy as necessary to neutralize her power. once she knows ur the man, u can tone down and play nice. using only the occasional tease or whatever just to keep her in line.

anyways, halfway through the massage, she actually complimented me, and she was pretty nice throughout the rest of it.
Her:"You're the first guy I've seen who keeps his toes clean"
Me:"... Thank you"

Last edited:

Doggystyle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Giving complement all depends on the girl, you have low self esteem girls and high self esteem girls,

LSE girls would love a complement but the HSE girls would see it as supplicating to them

Also it depends weather you are of the girls league or not, but this will also effect there self esteem, if you are clearly better looking, more successful etc...... giving a complement to someone in a lower position would be appreciated, where as if you where in the lower position giving the complement would be seen as creepy, kissing ass etc....

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The key, I think is in two things:

1) AVOID GENERIC COMPLIMENTS: This is stuff every guy has said to them, so it won't win you any points. Stuff like you are beautiful, etc.

2) Regardless of the compliment, don't compliment too much. You come off as a suck up.

I agree about the negs, you can do the push pull using compliments and negs. It keeps her off her feet and she doesn't know what to expect, but the LSE girls may be too sensitive for many negs. This is why calibration is key.

musclyjerk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Works both ways to. How do you think I rate a woman who comes up and says I really like your body? I rate her a dumb chick who I'm gunna bang pretty soon and then forget about - and that's it.

Now let's get to the point before I sound like a prick.

ONE time a girl commented 'You're dressed smart' - and that hit like a bolt out of the blue 'cos I NEVER hear chicks say that. I'm ashamed to say that made my day and I thought about her a bit after that. Not only did I think about her but she sky-rocketed in my estimations.

(THINK ABOUT HOW POWERFUL THAT IS IF IT WORKS THAT WELL ON A GUY!)

I've shamed myself but there is the point.

The Muscly Jerk

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im very dissapointed in you muscly jerk, getting all flushed from a compliment an anything besides your muscles!

ka_paow

Reaction score
what about after the compliment? ive read in some places that you should totally switch gears and tease the hell out of her. cuz after a compliment, its hard to respond to that besides a thank you, it just gets kind of awkward, if you know what i mean. so how should compliments be followed?