Making people laugh, it can be a double edged sword

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone loves the funny man. He provides smiles and cheers throughout the room. Even the alpha males of the group, and their girlfriends, are laughing at his jokes. Though when the funny man sees that everyone's enjoying his company, he milks his performance. He'll do anything to hear that laugh again, and the next thing you know, a new entertainer rises onto the stage to overthrow the funny man. Why?

It's not enough to make them laugh.

At least not all the time. Back in middle school, I was known as the class clown. I said outrageous things and did outrageous things to get everyone to laugh. It was a form of acceptance to me and I used it as my arsenal to gain friends. It worked; I had friends, but I was more annoying to them than funny.

I eventually found a solution to the problem a year ago. It all had to do with mindsets. While I desired the reputation of a comedian, my desire was slowly brooming away exactly that. I believe the proper term for this is trying too hard.

The mindset I used was that I tried not being funny at all. When you try to be funny, you condense all the comedic value into one joke or story, which reduces the effectiveness of future jokes and stories. And when you try to be funny, you'll ride the momentum and will eventually get in the habit of trying to run consecutive jokes or stories that deliver the same laughter value as the previous one. A break is needed in between stories and jokes to build up laughter tension.

A little tip on being funny--I've received many testimonials from various friends that think I'm a very funny guy, since some people here [ElStud], need proof of success for incomprehensible reasons--building tension is VERY important. When you tell a story or a joke, take your time! Make your speech a little bit slower than before, and reconfigure your voice tonality to suit the theme of the story or joke. Like if you're telling a story, and there's a part where you're walking slow, then match the slowness of your walking with your speech. If you were running, mirror your words with the speed.

Reaction score
I have to say the idea of the post is very good and an important aspect which we all have to concider.

I have come to the conclusion that sometimes it is not the action taken that matters but it is rather the reason for why the action was taken. get my point?

Somehow that reason behind the action can be seen so clearly. When i watch my friends its so easy to spot whos "trying" to be funny and who is just at ease with himself and being genuinely funny. (you cannot see or comprehend this with logic, but somehow you know he is just putting on a show to get attention)

The power lies with people who have no agenda. And some people are just funny and wanting nothing back... they have the magic power -"they havent lost their inner child"

I used to be just like the guy above... I was the clown, I guess we all need attention if we aint getting enough :D

MooseGod

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Paradise City where the grass is green and the
That's the reasoning behind the whole "****y and funny" stuff... you just gotta let it flow, inject humor into your everyday conversational mannerisms. If you sense that people are laughing at you, crack a joke or two at their expense. Keep it lighthearted though, and if they start looking at you like "WTF?" just crack a big grin. Most people have a decent sense of humor, and if they don't respond to what you say they should respond to a smile.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't want to be a one trick pony relying on just humor to be popular. Chocolate makes many people feel good too but how many are willing to change their diet and only eat chocolate?

Stacks Of Terror

Don Juan
Reaction score
I love this post. Its so true. I remember when I was younger I was one of those guys who would pick off one of the weaker teachers and spend the whole hour joking and at first everyone loved me but eventually everyone started to get annoyed by me. This is probably on of the truest posts I've ever read on here.

The Sperminator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be the funny guy but I got tired of only being know as the funny guy. People liked me but I never got girls. It's good to have a sense of humor but don't over do it and don't try to be funny everytime. You can get annoying quickly if you try to make a joke everytime you talk. I know a guy like that and he is ****ing annoying. It's like give it a break. You don't need to be on all the time. I mean seriously this guy would try to make a joke every time he opened his mouth. I cannot remember having one normal conversation with this guy ever and I've know him for a while. My style is to be witty but also be serious often times. Also you shouldn't act goofy for laughs I see a lot of people do that. Bad thing because people are laughing at you not with you.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Sperminator said:
I used to be the funny guy but I got tired of only being know as the funny guy. People liked me but I never got girls. It's good to have a sense of humor but don't over do it and don't try to be funny everytime. You can get annoying quickly if you try to make a joke everytime you talk. I know a guy like that and he is ****ing annoying. It's like give it a break. You don't need to be on all the time. I mean seriously this guy would try to make a joke every time he opened his mouth. I cannot remember having one normal conversation with this guy ever and I've know him for a while. My style is to be witty but also be serious often times. Also you shouldn't act goofy for laughs I see a lot of people do that. Bad thing because people are laughing at you not with you.
Yeah I know a guy like that too, and honestly he's not even that funny lol. He always talks about how he can't get girls because he's ugly even though he's "funny". I've noticed that being witty and a smartass (while making it obvious you're joking) provides both humour and respect from your friends.