Lowering my standards and approaching ug5-6.5's

r0cky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
How do you know that these girls perceived you as better looking than they were? Studies have shown that people tend to overestimate their own physical attractiveness. So maybe these girls thought they were hotter than you. Especially since women tend to pride themselves on their looks.
That wouldnt make much sense then because, from my experience, girls who are obviously more attractive than me are very nice and have never told me to **** off when I open them. However ugly girls often give me the cold shoulder when I open them.

Zarky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
r0cky said:
That wouldnt make much sense then because, from my experience, girls who are obviously more attractive than me are very nice and have never told me to **** off when I open them. However ugly girls often give me the cold shoulder when I open them.
Oddly enough I've found this to be true as well. I've seen lots of different explanations as to why this could take place but I'm still not sure why it would happen this way--seems counter-intuitive.

Or, perhaps, to make it a little more accurate: I'm equally as likely to be shot down by an UG as I am a pretty girl. Which makes no sense. The only explanation I can think of is that women do not take into account their own attractiveness when selecting a man. Which, from a dating-market standpoint would make little sense, unless ugly women are OK with being alone a whole lot.

It would be like if I had $20,000 to spend on a car but I only walked into Porsche, Jaguar and Ferrari showrooms and absolutely refused to drive a Honda or other budget vehicle. I'd never get a car.

Another theory is that even UGs' dating options aren't all that limited. That even if a girl is a 3, she can still get enough action that she can be very picky. I kind of find this hard to believe because of the general 1:1 ratio of men to women. Hunky men just aren't going to be serenading UGs, are they?

Another theory is that UGs react strongly negative to men who are out of their leagues. Imagine a guy who is very attractive but doesn't think he is. If he thinks he's ugly and is approaching UGs because he doesn't think he can get prettier girls, but the UGs are shooting him down because he's out of their league, then that would be lose-lose.

If you look at this OKcupid blog post...
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-looks-and-online-dating/
...you'll see in the graphs about halfway down the page that when attractive people message very UNattractive people, their response rate drops tremendously. This is especially true from men messaging women. Now, we don't know what these guys are saying, or why, to these UGs, but the fact is if you're a hunky dude contacting a ugly chick, your response rate is WORSE than if you're a hunky dude contacting a pretty girl.

(Another graph on the site shows that the men who are contacted most are slightly below average on the looks scale. Men who are the "most attractive" get almost NO messages sent to them. Really weird.)

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oddly enough I've found this to be true as well. I've seen lots of different explanations as to why this could take place but I'm still not sure why it would happen this way--seems counter-intuitive.
I've always thought the hotter girls were more friendly because they probably associate men with more positive experiences than the ugly girls. When an attractive girl meets a guy, she probably thinks "oh cool, another guy who will fall in love with me and tell me how awesome I am".

Whereas an ugly girl will probably think, oh here's another guy who will get drunk, clumsily try to have sex with me, then never call me again.

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
Studies have shown that people tend to overestimate their own physical attractiveness.
especially on this forum!
---------------

every one is good looking to someone!

people will take a couple of compliments (out of all the people they've ever met) and their ego will tell them they are amazing looking - the ego can be bad in many ways

the majoity of guys (and women) are "average" (the looks distribution in a graph would be a bell curve)

n00bPimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another graph on the site shows that the men who are contacted most are slightly below average on the looks scale. Men who are the "most attractive" get almost NO messages sent to them. Really weird
Very interesting. My take is this:
Dating sites are filled with below-average looking girls, and these girls are only messaging guys who they believe will see dating value in them. From a girls perspective the only guys that will see dating value in a hb6 for example, will be guys who are average or below in looks. Good looking guys will not see a hb6 as having any type of dating value, she might have sexual value, but in the majority girls are not looking for a quick hook up.
Since most girls in dating sites are HB6 or less, average looking guys are getting a lot of messages, but never from any hot girls. The good looking guys might not be getting a lot of messages, BUT THEY ARE GETTING MESSAGED BY HB9s!.

kingsam

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
we are looking here at OKcupid ... its full of kids ...its not the same as a more proffesional PAY FOR serivce (eg eharmony)...