Long Term Investing VS Swing Trading VS Intraday ??

RSDCharlie

Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys who are into the stock market, what's your favorite method of investing?

I myself am a huge fan of Warren Buffet, and I am able to find fundamentally strong companies, and almost 90% of my money goes in long term investing. I do a bit of swing trading too, but that's more for fun by looking at the charts. I do not do intraday at all, I feel that it's more of gambling than anything. I could be wrong about intraday though.

Would love to hear opinions here. Which method do each of you follow and why?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Intraday trading done correctly requires a substantial investment in hardware, internet connection, and data feed. The average guy should avoid it. Anyone day trading through an app on their phone is an idiot.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Intraday trading done correctly requires a substantial investment in hardware, internet connection, and data feed. The average guy should avoid it. Anyone day trading through an app on their phone is an idiot.
This is patiently wrong.

Futures day trading requires none of that.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is patiently wrong.

Futures day trading requires none of that.
I was talking about securities. I have honestly never traded futures. But I would be surprised if some cheap phone app that pretends to be low or free commission is not screwing you a tiny bit each time they fill an order. And good luck getting a fill when the market is going quickly against you. It's in the terms of service agreement that they can ignore your order during "volatile market conditions."

There's a class action suit against Robin Hood, because they weren't actually filling anyone's orders. People who use an app like that are virtually guaranteed to lose money, so they just tell you the position is real and when you close it at a loss, they keep your loss for themselves. This scam has been around since the Internet brokers of the late 90s, when they called it being a "liquidity partner." Robin Hood got caught when Netflix went crazy. The people who thought they had some very profitable options positions were never allowed to withdraw their money, because it was never real in the first place.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I was talking about securities. I have honestly never traded futures. But I would be surprised if some cheap phone app that pretends to be low or free commission is not screwing you a tiny bit each time they fill an order. And good luck getting a fill when the market is going quickly against you. It's in the terms of service agreement that they can ignore your order during "volatile market conditions."

There's a class action suit against Robin Hood, because they weren't actually filling anyone's orders. People who use an app like that are virtually guaranteed to lose money, so they just tell you the position is real and when you close it at a loss, they keep your loss for themselves. This scam has been around since the Internet brokers of the late 90s, when they called it being a "liquidity partner." Robin Hood got caught when Netflix went crazy. The people who thought they had some very profitable options positions were never allowed to withdraw their money, because it was never real in the first place.
Anyone that trades during volatile times deserves whatever happens. One of the first things you learn is don't trade during major news/results/earnings coming out for exactly that reason...you'll get your stops blown thru if it goes against you and get wrecked.

I don't ever trade on my phone but I would tend to agree that isn't going to be a smart long term way of making money.

People using RobinHood aren't actually serious investors, just people doing it as a hobby. Nobody who is serious would ever use one of those types of places.