Long Distance Relationships

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey there folks, my ***** is currently going to college so we're stucking have a LDR. Can you please answer a few questions and offer some general advice.

- Is it wise to talk everyday to them? I usually have 3 hour conversations with her on the phone, not sure if it'll have a adverse effect or not.

- Does it seem like once you get into a relationship you're not as sharp as you first started? I seem to have trouble teasing her as much as I used to and I notice she doesn't laugh as much. Perhaps it's because I do my best work in person?

Any other advice to keep things going strong?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If the relationship wasn't stable, viable and long term in the first place the only thing that may help is prayer (and a winning lottery ticket).

Nex

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Francisco.

My two month relationship is long term and long distance, but now it's about to become reeeaallyyy long distance (more than 3000km). The problem I encounter is that even though when we're together it's extremely stable, we're both very happy and satisfied, when we're apart we begin to think too much about each other and start to get paranoid, even delusional to the point that we think the other is cheating, or that the other won't call us back, etc.

Worth it? Only if you love her, and you know it's the real deal and worth getting hurt over.

Praying helps, too.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in the Midwest, she's in Alaska. We've only been going out for a week or two, but I'm sure deep down we both see something viable with this or we wouldn't of agreed to keep it going.

Kings_royalty

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
- Is it wise to talk everyday to them? I usually have 3 hour conversations with her on the phone, not sure if it'll have a adverse effect or not.

I wouldn't advise three hour conversations with her every single day, that's going to get old quick. Where is the mystery and challenge with that?
Skip a day or two, make her wonder why you haven't called, make her wonder what you are doing and who you are with. Plant yourself in her mind by being a 'little' distant.

When you do talk to her, keep the conversation long enough to get caught up, and make sure you end the phone call 'first'.

I seem to have trouble teasing her as much as I used to and I notice she doesn't laugh as much.

It sounds like things are starting to get 'routine', this is when things start to get boring. Pretty soon she'll be noticing other guys, if she hasn't already.

Keep things interesting bro, good luck.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
I'm in the Midwest, she's in Alaska. We've only been going out for a week or two, but I'm sure deep down we both see something viable with this or we wouldn't of agreed to keep it going.
Ahhhh, the unrealistic dreams of youth... Frankly, if you guys were realy sure, one of you would be planning on a long distance move.

niceguydying

Don Juan
Reaction score
In my experience, they DO NOT work. Eventually, either one of you will grow quite tired of the commute whether it be by plane or car. I have heard of them working, but they are far and few between. Furthermore, one of you will start feeling the resentment build because one is putting more effort out. I tried it once and I too grew tired of driving 240 miles one way. At least give it a try, but date locally as well when you can. Hell, you may find one that will make you forget all about the farther one.

belividere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1000's of miles apart and 3 hr phone calls equals no go.

How did you meet?
Have you had any real physical contact?
How old are both of you?

The biggest detriment that I've had in LDRs is the lack of set precedence. I dont talk to girls who live 3 blocks away for 3 hrs a day, why would I do that with a girl across the continent? You can find a girl whose just as good within 20 miles of you. I wouldn't waste my time.

Blusher

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
One chance in a million.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
We had a yearbook class together. Throughout the year we didn't really have anything going on in terms of sex interest. Then in the summer I gave her a random call and we started hanging out.

A week or two before she leaves to go to college we made out at a party, I fingered her and she started giving me a handjob.

I call her a couple days later. We start hanging out again, she picks me up at 3 AM and we go watch movies together and get close but no third base.

The final night she's in town we go to her house with two other kids. We start making out, I fingered her again and she started sucking my ****. Would of had sex, but this douche bag got drunk and started ramming the door. I spent the night over with her and we did some general "play" (grabbing her butt, neck massages, etc.).

After she leaves that day we don't speak for a couple days, until she calls me up and we had our first three hour conversation. Then the night after, we kind of got into a discussion and somehow she mentions, "what am I toyou", I reply, "what do you mean?". She states, "am I your *****?" and I replied "Yep, and I'm your pimp".

After that we started officially dating.

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, the only reason I had LDRs when I was like 16-19 was to MOVE to those chix and get to see a new area. I've stayed in many places that way from Toronto to Norway. It's a cool deal, but as far as having a LDR and expecting osmehting permanent or just talking and talking NO WAY.

TAKE MASSIVE ACTION in life. If she doesn't have her own crib ask her to rent you a hotel. Go up there (make sure you have at least 3 backups in case it doesn't go the way you'd like) beat it up, see the area, and then come home.

Some chicks in other countries wanted to stay with me but that's totally impractical. The most I've done with that is had some chix stay with me on Holiday or for a short time. I would never pay to have some chic stay with me and many women will try to talk men into that, why do that when I can go to her and take a holiday for myself?

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The phone convo's are getting better. Just had a 4 hour one last night. I'm being myself more and not trying to be some play it safe pansy now that I have a girlfriend. She's laughing more and she's getting more sexual over the phone. When she comes back in a month or two, I can garauntee you there will be good times...

Anywho, I end every phone conversation and at the end she always tells me to call her. Would it be wrong of me to not call her a couple times even though I said, "maybe I will".

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand this ****.

Sometimes, I'm really "on" other times it feels like a chore talking.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Her birthday is coming up at the end of August.

We've been going out for only a couple weeks, so do you believe it's too early into the relationship to buy her a gift? She told me she bought me a t-shirt for the hell of it, so I think she sees it as alright.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's time to let go of your invisible friend

There is no such thing as an LDR, because you have no relationship. An LDR simply does not meet the criteria necessary for it to be considered a relationship. There is no reciprocity of anything more than words passing over a phone line or an IM text. Understand me here – you have no relationship. You have self-assumed accountability, self-assumed liability and internalized responsibilities to be loyal to this person, to fidelity to this idealization, and dropping what everyone outside of your LDR will regularly tell you is insanity, is a personal affront and anathema to this stupid and most insidious form of ONEitis.

LDRs are the most easily identifiable form of ONEitis and it would be laughable if it weren't so damaging to a guy's life progression. The LDR man would sacrifice years of his life in this pitiable effort to pursue his 'soulmate' across the planet or even a hundred miles away. The very thought of refuting the idea that an LDR can work is equal to denying his belief this stupid, fantasized ONEitis fueled idealization that he's swallowed for the better part of his life. It’s easy to criticize an LDR in the terms of questioning either party's earnestness and fidelity in entertaining an LDR and this is usually the tact that most people giving advice on LDRs follow. One or both parties are or will 'cheat' on the other over the course of time, its true, but LDRs are far more telling of a mentality that results in much more damaging consequences as a result of deeply conditioned self-expectations and fears.

I can't begin to list the number of otherwise intelligent and ambitious men I’ve known who've drastically altered the course of their lives to follow their ONE. Men who've changed their majors in college, who've selected or switched universities, men who've applied for jobs in states they would never have considered, accepted jobs that are sub-standard to their ambitions or qualifications, men who've renounced former religions and men who've moved across the planet all in an effort to better accommodate an idealized woman with whom they've played pseudo-boyfriend over the course of an LDR only to find that she wasn't the person they thought she was and were depressive over the gravity that their decisions played in their lives.

An LDR is akin to a LJBF, but writ large and festering in a man's life. You play surrogate boyfriend, voluntarily accepting and internalizing all of the responsibilities and accountabilities of being a woman's exclusive, monogamous partner with no expectation of reciprocating intimacy or sexuality. It is the ideal situation for a woman in the same manner a Booty Call is for a man - all sex with no expectations of monogamy or commitment. However an LDR is worse than a LJBF arrangement since it pervasively locks a man into a success or failure mentality with regards to the relationship actually being legitimate. Afterall, she's agreed to be his girlfriend (from miles away) and if he's the one to falter it's his lack of perseverance in this silly ONEitis ego-investment that dooms them. Once the LDR inevitably ends he's the one left with the self-doubt, he's the one beating himself up over wasting time, money and effort and he's the one feeling guilty whether he or she is the 'cheater'.

An LDR is like having an invisible friend with whom you're constantly considering the course of your actions with. Consider the personal, romantic, familial, educational, ambition-wise, business-wise, personally maturity and growth opportunities that you've limited yourself from or never had a chance to experience because of this invisible friend. When you finally divorce yourself from this invisible friend, will it have all been worth it? Guys cling to LDRs because they've yet to learn, in POOK's inimitable words, that Rejection is better than Regret. AFCs will nurse along an LDR for years because it seems the better option when compared with actually going out and meeting new women who are potential rejection. They think its better to stick with the 'sure thing' than risk possible rejection, but it's the long term regret that is the inevitable result of an LDR that is life damaging. Nothing reeks of desperation or verifies a lack of confidence more than a guy who self-righteously proclaims he's in an LDR. Women see you coming a mile off, because you are a guy without options. In fact the only reason a man entertains an LDR is due to a lack of options. If you had more plates spinning an LDR would never look like a good idea. And finally, I'm sure I'll see the "not in my case" defense posted here about how you actually DO see your invisible friend once every 4 or six months. To this I'll say again, what opportunities are you censoring yourself from experiencing by playing house with a woman you only see this often? Do you honestly think you're the exception to the rule? I'm sure you do.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo, thank you for that well-written post. You state many solid ideas and theories, many of which are widely recieved on these boards and quite a few of them I'd have to agree with myself.

Check out this post:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106922&highlight=advancing+things

That was written by me and details my journey to "get" this girl. It was a fun journey and I gained lots of valuable experience (got some balls to make moves, etc.). Through all of this I ended up liking her and it's not for her looks (she's probably a 5-6).

I'm an insecure guy, I'll admit it. On one of our phone calls when we were talking about past experiences and I found out she lost her virginity to some disturbed kid (he's the one who tried busting down the door at her house on her last night, it's in the post listed above) my gut was wrenching when I probably shouldn't of cared seeing I've done my fair shair of stuff with other girls (no sex yet though). She tells me she doesn't like him and never has but the amount of time they spent hanging out this summer and the amount they talk on the phone still (usually once a day, she tells me about it) still makes me suspicious.

I'm afraid she'll get drunk and do something with another guy at college despite the fact we have both promised each other we'd remain faithful. Tells you a little bit about my insecurity/jealousy when it comes to my "oneitis".

I probably sound like a hopeless romantic who's too new to know any better, and you're probably right but I like this girl. I have not and will most likely not change any aspect of my life's goals to suit this relationship. Is it not worth it to atleast wait until she comes back to town once before deciding if I should carry on this relationship or not?

If anything look at it as a way to get sex experience none the less, no?

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
She is still good friends with the guy she lost her virginity to even though she claims she never liked him and never will.

She knows i don't like it when she brings him up, yet she still does every once and a while but says his name really fast. Really starting to piss me off.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it not worth it to atleast wait until she comes back to town once before deciding if I should carry on this relationship or not?
No, just tell her you want to see other people until she comes back.

But won't that encourage her to go sleep with other guys?

Actually, no. She'll sleep with other guys anyways if she feels like it, no matter what.

Instead, when you tell her you want to see other people, she will become obsessed with the idea that (gasp!) some other girl is trying to get you!

This will pump her interest through the roof, so you're way more likely to get some play when she comes around.

You don't need monogamy to have a decent relationship with a woman.

comote

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Long Distance Relationships . . . I actually came to this site after one failed, and despite all my efforts to the contrary I have found myself in one yet again. (Neither one started that way, coincidently both became ldr's after about a year of dating)
What I have learned is that an ldr is what you make of it. I fought against it tooth and nail but eventually it came to pass that my relationship became an ldr. We have been at it 2 months now and it hasn't been so bad(at least not as bad as I remember the last one)
A couple of things to keep in mind though,

1: the girl, she is different,(I know the textbook phrase of one-itis, but I'm already doing the ldr anyways) She is socially conscious and has values(gasp). She is doing volunteer work on the other side of the world for about a year, and it has been her dream to do this for a long time. She was not going to give up her dream for me, just as we would not suggest to any man on this site. Basically it was a plan that was set into motion long before her and I met. It just took long enough to allow her and I to get together.

2: Me, I'm older now, I'm past college and grad school. Have had my share of relationships, some good, some bad. Frankly I've become a good judge of character. Also I know that if things don't work with her, THERE WILL BE MORE GIRLS. Therefore it wouldn't kill me to be in an ldr for a year or so to see if this works out.

3: Before we agreed to try this we went in with two understandings, first that entering an ldr only makes sense if there is some sort of commitment in mind. Second that we had to set a limit time on the Long-distance part. Basically at the end of a specific period of time we were going to have the talk about where things between us were going. This helps because after that time we will either start our plans to be together, or else we will move on with our lives.

As for being a dj in an ldr, well it can be hard, I'm actually letting up on the pull part of push pull figuring that the 5000 miles and the fact that I can't just call her up whenever I want to is doing that for me.
As for doubts, well, I just have to trust that if something happened she would tell me. I have my own reasons, but I am able to trust her.

Incidently, I moved as well, about a month before she left for her volunteer work. So all those people saying she wouldn't have left if you had really been a dj in this can suck it.