Lifting and acne

theNEWDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
it seems that when I workout heavily my acne increases. I shower right after I'm done. Do you guys think lifting heavily is causing stress or something that effects my skin.

I am 5'7, 140, I would like to bulk up to weighing about 190 pounds. Do you think girls would find me too stocky if I was 190, I already feel like Im to thick, but I really need to gain weight for wrestling.

If you know any websites that would help me with acne please respond with them. Thank you all

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
I havve noticed that a lot of people wear hair gel while they are lifting. When you are lifting, you will usually sweat. The hair gel will then come from your hair unto your forehead. Hair gel on the skin will block your pores, resulting in acne. This may also go for anti-perspirants, since they work by blocking pores as well. This may or may not solve your problem, since I do not even know if you wear hair gel. But it can be a useful piece of information for some people.

gav

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
acne is your skin reacting to testosterone. when your testosterone increases through lifting, you will naturally get more acne.

but don't let that stop you bulking and lifting heavily. follow the regime over at www.acne.org (benzoyl peroxide + moisturiser twice daily) and you can lift all you want and your skin will stay acne free. my acne has completely gone (took less than a month) - and i was pretty hard hit with it, especially because i was bulking.

i'd say 190 is too much for 5'7. but you're only 140 the now so keep going until at least 170 before making any decisions like that

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
How is acne a reaction between skin and testosterone? If that were the case, then no women would have acne, since they have far less testosterone than any man. As we all know, women are just as likely to get acne than men. At the gym, I see very few people that have acne. In my classes, where very few people lift, there are a lot more people withl acne. By your logic, it should be the other way around.

The only way I can see that acne will be connected with lifting is in sweating. When you do anything that causes you to sweat, your chances of a zit or two may slightly increase. But to say that lifting is a direct cause of acne is not accurate. If it was accurate, then you would not see many people lifting would you?

Last edited:

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
i thought people lost weight for wrestling? but im 190 and 6'1 and people think im pretty cut, so you would be a monster, oh yeah i am shootign for 210 though

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all Gav, you must be commended for actually backing up what you say. Most people would not care less and just shrug it off. The author of the faq does say she does not KNOW that testosterone can aggravate acne, since there has never been a study conducted to prove that there has been.

Maybe testosterone does cause acne and maybe it does not. There are too many factors to take into account to say that lifting is causing YOU to get more acne. Just take care of your skin the best you can is all you can really do.