leaving a message about a time to meet for a date?

mra1200

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been talking to a girl at the bar I work at recently, and we set up a date to go out, but never specified a time that night last week. I didn't know what my work week was going to look like, so I didn't say anything about a time. Now that I know, I called to let her know what time I wanted to meet her... but got her voice mail...

I wasn't sure if I should have hung up and called back the next day or later that night, so I just went ahead and left a message, telling her to be at the restaurant a 7:30pm this Thursday.

Should I even bother showing up? If I don't get a return phone call, I have a gut feeling that I'll be eating alone that night, especially considering that I'm not sure what HER work schedule looks like.

The one thing I am feeling good about is that I used to make these calls to "figure out what time would be good to go out", being totally wishy washy and bending my schedule to fit hers. No so this time, as I picked a time, told her to be there and if she does call to say that time doesn't work, then I'm going to tell her I have to cancel and we'll go out some other time (would rescheduling for a full week later be too far away, or should I have a plan for a Sunday early evening dinner in mind?).

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, that's annoying. You need to just decide on the 1st phone call what time it will be. If you don't know what time you'll be available, don't call her so soon! Just wait until you know, then try to set something up.

I mean, if you had to call her today, why not just call her today, only? Seems like less work . . .

(would rescheduling for a full week later be too far away, or should I have a plan for a Sunday early evening dinner in mind?).
You can rattle off some choices. If you are avalable Sunday, Tues, and Friday, and she's busy at all the same days at those same times, maybe she's giving you a hint.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys, you need to put some effort into planning your schedules ahead of time so that you don't get yourself into situations like this. How hard would it have been to get your work schedule set before setting up these ambiguous dates? None the less you should have just called her and left a message for her to call you back to set up a time.

Hitman10000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You think you screwed up...well ya did! IT'S OKAY, it's not that big of a screwup but she might see you as a bit bigheaded. Trust me, I make a couple of those same mistakes you did (Ordering a woman around, which in fact you did, women don't like to be ordered around...well independently thinking ones that is)

Call on Wednesday evenin, this time if you get the VM don't leave a message. Call Once. If she doesn't call back on that same evening, forget your Thursday plan and try calling again once/twice the next week but *NEVER* leave a message.

mra1200

Don Juan
Reaction score
Phyzzle said:
Man, that's annoying. You need to just decide on the 1st phone call what time it will be. If you don't know what time you'll be available, don't call her so soon! Just wait until you know, then try to set something up.
I get up at arse-o'clock in the morning, which is why my schedule tends to deviate when we're working 5 or more 10 hour shifts per week (construction). Anyway, I had decided that we were going to have to meet early that Thursday due to my work situation this particular looooong week (Mon-Sat 7am-5:30pm). I knew what time I wanted to go out with her before I called, I just didn't expect to get the VM, so I went ahead and left a message.

I was Thursday last week when we first talked about going out the following Thursday when I was unsure of my work situation so I didn't want to pin down a time.