laptops+crysis=fire

azrael

Don Juan
Reaction score
This might sound stupid . But can a laptop or a desktop computer catch a fire because you are playing a video game like crysis ????:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks in advanced

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With electronics weird sh!t like that can randomly happen for sure but unless you built the thing yourself and fvcked up during your selection of a power supply I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Even less if your machine is one of those modern energy star certified rigs.

Oh and almost forgot any desktop computer can probably catch fire if your fan isn't functioning.

So uh make sure its working.

azrael

Don Juan
Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
With electronics weird sh!t like that can randomly happen for sure but unless you built the thing yourself and fvcked up during your selection of a power supply I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Even less if your machine is one of those modern energy star certified rigs.

Oh and almost forgot any desktop computer can probably catch fire if your fan isn't functioning.

So uh make sure its working.
thanks it was because of a discussion with a guy i know, he said he saw a video (i could not find anything on line)but i think that the most probable thing that would happen is the desktop/laptop to turn down due to overheating:woo:

xingcong

Don Juan
Reaction score
No it can't!! Of course, there are exceptions, but rare, and I'm not aware of any such cases. Any faulty electronics can catch on fire, even cell phones, that's why manufacturer's test them extensively, unless of course it's made in China. Basically, in a desktop it's pretty much impossible. Power supplies have transformers in them, and each transformer has a build in fuse, which will burn out and you won't have any power.

In laptops, it's different, because laptops have batteries and external power supplies. If any of those two components are faulty, then there is a danger of heat and fire (surroundings catching on fire). Thinking of buying cheap(er) replacement batteries or power supplies from China?

Now, you also have to think about things into which your stuff is plugged in. Let's say you have a desktop, monitor, external modems, routers, couple of printers, we are talking about 2000+ WATTS, and you plug everything into a power splitter designed for a quarter of that power. That can catch fire. I even had that once happen to me, and I now have a fire extinguisher right next to my desktop. (go ahead touch those wires in the back, are they warm? on some power monster step ups those wires will get hot)

The only sure way to blow up something is to use thermite. Here is Mr don't mess with zohan doing just that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EVJFg4dxVA
down side is later on people might find evidence of thermite in the rubble lol

P.S. Almost forgot!!! I once burned out CPU and Motherboard while playing Collin McRae Ralley. I had XP 2000+ and Biostar mobo. No idea how it happened but I had to replace CPU and Mobo. No fire.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No but if your laptop was on fire then you are having a crisis :p

Last edited:

Luthor Rex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azrael said:
This might sound stupid . But can a laptop or a desktop computer catch a fire because you are playing a video game like crysis ????:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks in advanced
Only if there is something else wrong with the machine first. If the cpu's fan or heat sink somehow fails, then yes it could start a fire. When the power supply on a computer goes bad that could start a fire too.

But it won't happen only because you played the game.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Without a fan, YES!

I took a CPU architecture class and we witnessed (a video) this with both Intel and AMD processors.

Within seconds of removing the fan they went up in smoke, bubbled, and flamed.

Of course laptops have been known to have exploding batteries.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"thanks it was because of a discussion with a guy i know, he said he saw a video (i could not find anything on line)but i think that the most probable thing that would happen is the desktop/laptop to turn down due to overheating"

Heh heh now I think I know what kind of video your buddy probably saw.

And if I remember right Crysis was one of the big new games a while back that was supposed to take some of the most powerful rigs around to run at optimal graphical settings.

Well some hardcore computer hobbyists love to overclock their machine which is basically them tinkering with various settings that can be dangerous and cause a fire whether they know what they are doing or not.

Overclocking is performed by hardcore computer users because it is believed the tinkering can increase the machine's performance in any number of ways.

Most of the time when someone is very knowledgeable at computers and does this a fire does not happen but yeah only those type of people that do this usually have to worry about a fire when it comes to playing a videogame.

So once again if you bought your machine from a name brand company like Dell XPS, Alienware or Falcon Northwest you probably have nothing to worry about with your machine catching fire as it is setup.

Only when you build it yourself or tinker with settings a name brand company has constructed your computer to have do you really only then have to worry about fire.

The other cases of fire as have already been said are due to faulty fans and heat sinks as well just plain anamolies probably resulting from shoddy parts or construction or hell maybe even a storm or crazy power surge.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It will overheat like mad because most laptops are not designed to run at 100% cappacity. It should not burn, the system should turn off once it reaches a critical temperature.

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Doesn't Crysis REQUIRE at least a dualcore? You'd think with a quadcore overheating issues would be somewhat less.

All i know about crysis is someone took a picture, remade it in Crysis, and it actually looked better than real life :|

jonwon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Teflon_Mcgee said:
Without a fan, YES!

I took a CPU architecture class and we witnessed (a video) this with both Intel and AMD processors.

Within seconds of removing the fan they went up in smoke, bubbled, and flamed.

Of course laptops have been known to have exploding batteries.
Went up in smoke when the fan was removed 'AFTER' it had been turned on and the fan was no doubt running at 100%.

You cant make a PC catch fire like that unless you intentionally do it - i.e remove the fan when its going full whack.

What will happen is if you tried to play a PC with a dodgy fan the Bios would shut it down and you'd get the blue screen of death - or the PC will simply keep re-booting -

Unless the PC is around 5 years old - it is impossible -

IF a PC catches fire its because of an hardware failure, most probably a faulty PSU rather then something the user did.

No game playing can not fry your PC - even if you try to over-clock your PC what will happen is you'll simply fry the componants but you won't get a fire - since the PC is protected for stupidly high tempretures.

And yes Laptops can't cool down that well so 100% CPU usage will probably cause a re-boot to your laptop - thats all.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jonwon said:
Went up in smoke when the fan was removed 'AFTER' it had been turned on and the fan was no doubt running at 100%.

You cant make a PC catch fire like that unless you intentionally do it - i.e remove the fan when its going full whack.

What will happen is if you tried to play a PC with a dodgy fan the Bios would shut it down and you'd get the blue screen of death - or the PC will simply keep re-booting -

Unless the PC is around 5 years old - it is impossible -

IF a PC catches fire its because of an hardware failure, most probably a faulty PSU rather then something the user did.

No game playing can not fry your PC - even if you try to over-clock your PC what will happen is you'll simply fry the componants but you won't get a fire - since the PC is protected for stupidly high tempretures.

And yes Laptops can't cool down that well so 100% CPU usage will probably cause a re-boot to your laptop - thats all.
Yes, that is what they did do. Popped the fan off in mid play.

But don't be sure about the impossibility of components catching fire.
I've seen some crazy things with circuits including components exploding and melting.

But I think the biggest thing to worry about would be exploding batteries that catch fire. Of course this hasn't been an issue in a year or two.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aragon034 said:
Doesn't Crysis REQUIRE at least a dualcore? You'd think with a quadcore overheating issues would be somewhat less.
A quadcore is hotter because there are more cores, larger die, more power consumed.

All i know about crysis is someone took a picture, remade it in Crysis, and it actually looked better than real life :|
How can it look better than real life?