Joint Bank Accounts

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
IF I ever marry again, I'll check her credit score first. IF she isn't responsible with her own money,she won't be responsible for mine either.

DangNammit

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Has anyone ever had any experiences (good or bad) with these? Has anyone here ever found a valid reason to do so?

Opinions?
I had a full joint account shared with my wife (when I was married to her). It doesn't matter if you have separate account when you're married - it's all marital money and can divided as such at the time of divorce (unless you are able to hide it during the discovery process which is in itself risky).

If you are not married and have a joint account, you either have some oddball need to do so (very oddball) or you're just plain stupid.

Here's another goofy situation - I actually have a joint account now with my ex-wife that is used solely for us to transfer childcare expense payments back and forth and it works out very well.

SoldMySoul

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
sodbuster said:
We had yours, mine and our checking accounts. She managed to take the 150.00 out of the joint when she left.

Sodbuster,Was that $150 bucks or $150,000???

When I was married my ex wife and I shared an account. Fortunately, I was able to get to it before we divorced and I basically froze her out of it because she was a drunk and I did not trust what she would have done with it. She still had limited use of it I recall and would have covertly been able to take money out if I were not watching.

Sharing an account is just a bad idea!!! You will be scrutinized on every purchase and it leaves your significant other a trail to follow... not that I condone being shifty. My brother tells me about his girl bytching about his purchases all the time. I had the shame **** happen when I was married.

Forget sharing an account if you can help it!

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scaramouche, trust me, I won't be the one creating a joint account. I've seen too many horror stories to be one to do something like this. This thread was more to see other people's stories and to serve as a precautionary thread for those considering something like this.

Just as with pre-nups, I've seen too many couples that come up with the "if we don't do this, then it isn't true love".

I've never been faced with the situation, but if I ever do, I know what to do.
BTW, I'm storing that last "tale" of mine and will be using it to evaluate plates in the future. I could always just change the dates and say: "I dealt with this today... what do you think?"

And based on their answer/opinion, I could evaluate their own financial prowess.

Dangnammit:

I know that what you have at divorce can be split accordingly, but that's conditional. If you have a joint account, what's YOURS DURING marriage is also hers and she wouldn't have to wait til the impending divorce, she could just take it all right now. If the case WERE to happen, I'd rather the later than sooner.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was married, we had a joint account. I controlled all the finances, decided how much to save, wrote the checks, etc. We each took our own spending money from payday. We never argued about money, ever, and she never tried to raid the account. Until we got divorced and the judge raided it for her lol.

I was probably lucky in retrospect, although if I thought she was the kind of person who couldn't be trusted I would have made other arrangements. If I ever get married again we'll probably keep seperate accounts.

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see a girl who doesn't plan to soak you if it goes south, being too offended that you elect to protect yourself.

Could I ask for verification on that one kailex?

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are exceptions to the rule, but more often than not, what I've seen is women taking advantage of what a man has worked hard for. In my OP, there's an example of a woman who DIDN'T take advantage of the situation that she had at hand. She easily could have taken thousands of HIS money and there would have been absolutely nothing that he could have done to stop her since the account was an "OR" account in their names.

More often than not, the man makes more than 50% of the income which means that technically, more than half of the account is his... but the joint account gives her 100% access to all of his funds.

Given a situation in which you could legally take funds from an account that is "yours", would you take the chance to do it?

I'd say that maybe 8 times out of 10, there will be a woman who is more than willing to withdraw funds that are hers but really aren't hers.

Personally, if she gets offended by the fact that you want to have a separate account... want a pre-nup... etc... then it's a sh!t test for HER that you can use to your advantage. If she can shame you into a joint account with you handing over all of your financial independence, she can shame you into just about anything else.

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kailex said:
Personally, if she gets offended by the fact that you want to have a separate account... want a pre-nup... etc... then it's a sh!t test for HER that you can use to your advantage. If she can shame you into a joint account with you handing over all of your financial independence, she can shame you into just about anything else.
:up:

I agree. I don't think it'd be unfair for a woman to protect her $$$ either... So if there's no double standard, what is there left to b!tch about?

jonnyj99

Reaction score
joint bank account is shared by two or more individuals.Many married couples and families find the hole and a joint savings or current accounts and profit. If two people open a joint account and one of them dies, the other person is entitled to have the outstanding debt and the account in question.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, it was only 150. I had a Family Limited Liability Partnership started,She didn't want to join in and help me set it up,so I just did it with myself and the boys[she didn't ***** much when I told her "you weren't interested,so I did it"} Had MOST of my cash there, the rest in the office checkbooks[she was only a signer on my death]

She did turn off the cable and some other cheap $hit like that-so I'd have to waste half a day waiting for the cable guy.

As far as hiding assets. CASH can't be traced. If you see it coming, stash CASH. The lawyer can't find the cash you hid in your office desk.

roburtvigr

Reaction score
joint accounts are often created for simultaneous probate.A estate property or lease, together is the concept of property rights, which describes the various ways in which property is owned by more than one person and married couples time.Many families find the opening and use of common savings or current accounts in a practical and useful.

Chosen1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My ex-wife closed our joint accounts. You then have a problem of figuring out who's money is who's. My ex-wife insisted her money was her money and mines was hers also. They are bad ideas best to keep it simple p.s she "accidentally" emptied out my TCU account but now wants me to pay 500 dollars for something. HA