I've noticed about eye contact

Carpy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Since i've been making an effort to overcome my shy/afcness i've noticed that most people wont look you in the eye. I've been practicing looking people in the eye and saying hi for a week or so now. I've never noticed how many people avoid eye contact until this week. Either i'm real ugly, or most people just avoid eye contact alot.

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
they just avoid it. I noticed this too. In my first week of bootcamp many many people avoided eye contact.

Kineti[C]harm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've had no trouble with eyecontact whatsoever when I started this new uni...

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In my experience, eye contact is usually something a girl will give you if she finds you somehow appealing to her eye. Girls will rarely look a guy in the eye who they don't find attractive, especially if they don't know them. There is an exception sometimes if the girl knows the guy well enough, because after they know them, they will feel better looking them in the eye.

I have not had problem with eye contact from women, and they are normally trying to look me in the eye more than I am trying to look them in the eye sometimes. I find that I will try to look a girl in the eyes more when she's hot than if she's not. However, when I started to do it more consciously, I practiced by looking every girl in the eye not matter how attracted I was.

I'd hate to say it, but maybe you might not be the world's most attractive guy, which only means you'll have to just work a little harder to grab the attention of the girls you want. Do this by making sure you have some charisma and a good sense of humor, which is easier said than done.

DJ-Wladek

Don Juan
Reaction score
I get that problem with some girls. When I make EC from a distance, they always look away first unless I smile right away. I tend to be a little slow with the smile, because I think that smiling all the time makes you look like a geek. But on the other hand, I think it can make you look creepy if you don't smile before she looks away. IIRC, David DeAngelo recommends making EC with a girl until she looks away as practice, but I don't know whether you should be smiling or not.

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I say you definitely should smile. This will usually be a good gauge since some girls may not smile back, but instead look away. I've had this happen before. No matter how good looking your are or whatever, there will always be people who are not attracted to your type. In general however, I'd say that at least 90-95% of the time, I get eye contact back, and have never gotten a good response when I've smiled and said hi. If I do, I move on anyways, no big deal.

Phoebus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, most people avoid eye contact altogether. They let fear rule their lives. Get to know them and they will make ey contact. Why? Because you are no longer a threat; you are a friend. Now, does that mean you should avoid eye contact yourself? F*ck, no! Stare mother's down. They will either look down and to the left (sign of submission) or keep eye contact (at which either they or you will say something along the lines of "What's up?" This is simply acknowledging someone who has atleast a little mental confidence.)

None of this counts with women. Some women will avoid eye contact altogether. This is a good sign! They find you as the one in charge. That's where you want to be. The very hot ladies might make eye contact, just play it off like it was a man; i.e. after a bit, say "What's up?"