IT or nanotechnology?

NobodyCares1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I'll have to decide where to go to university. I thougt about studying IT because I'm quite good at it and I know that there are some good money in it.

On the other hand I also thought about studying nanotechnology, though I think it might be quite hard and I also have no idea about the salary with this kind of education. I don't want to spend 5 years of my life studying something that will get me nothing.

So if someone has some insight in this where would you suggest me to go to study?

stephen_dedalus

Don Juan
Reaction score
for any kind of science field expect 4 years of undergraduate work in the US plus between 4-6 years of graduate work to get a PhD. You can take a less amount of time to get a masters degree, however that doesn't open nearly as many doors for you as the PhD at least in the life sciences which I study. I wouldn't suggest doing science for the money at all (the money can be relatively good though if you get involved in portions of industry or higher up in academia/government work), do it because you love the subject/ want to help society out.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stephen_dedalus said:
for any kind of science field expect 4 years of undergraduate work in the US plus between 4-6 years of graduate work to get a PhD. You can take a less amount of time to get a masters degree, however that doesn't open nearly as many doors for you as the PhD at least in the life sciences which I study. I wouldn't suggest doing science for the money at all (the money can be relatively good though if you get involved in portions of industry or higher up in academia/government work), do it because you love the subject/ want to help society out.
I think you would be nuts to go for a PhD in this day and age. Why not go for a MD degree or at the very least MD/PhD degree?

I talk to so many scientists with PhD even at my university which is known nationwide for research (Johns Hopkins University) and they get paid paltry amounts. They are constantly stressed about applying to NIH for grants and the income is not steady nor as much as a doctor's income.

The only advantage of the PhD route is that they pay you during schooling, but the amount a MD makes overcomes that quickly.

But to the OP: do you like IT? You say there is good money for it, and that you are good at it, so if you like it, isn't that a trifecta? Or are you interested in nanotechnology more? Seems risky to choose a university for nanotech if you don't even know whether you like the field or not. That's just my opinion.

NobodyCares1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:
But to the OP: do you like IT? You say there is good money for it, and that you are good at it, so if you like it, isn't that a trifecta? Or are you interested in nanotechnology more? Seems risky to choose a university for nanotech if you don't even know whether you like the field or not. That's just my opinion.
Well I do like IT, but I wouldn't call it my dream job though. Still nanotechnology can be something new, it kinda interests me, though I'm afraid of all the learning that I'll have to do there and if it's worth it.

stephen_dedalus

Don Juan
Reaction score
ArcBound said:
I think you would be nuts to go for a PhD in this day and age. Why not go for a MD degree or at the very least MD/PhD degree?

I talk to so many scientists with PhD even at my university which is known nationwide for research (Johns Hopkins University) and they get paid paltry amounts. They are constantly stressed about applying to NIH for grants and the income is not steady nor as much as a doctor's income.

The only advantage of the PhD route is that they pay you during schooling, but the amount a MD makes overcomes that quickly.
The other side of the coin there are plenty of reasons not to go for the MD, you can always complain about stuff. Some of the doctors that I have worked with before complain about long hours, the pressure to make money, rising cost of malpractice insurance (big one), and people expecting you to take care of them when they don't give a **** about their own health (another big one). Also medical school is hugely expensive and only getting moreso in the US.

I thought about MD/PhD and that is for sure for some people and can help out with grants but that is another four years of medical school on top of 5 years of grad school, quite a long commitment.

Applying to the NIH for grants can be stressful but I think its a hell of a lot less stressful than performing open heart surgery or having to tell someone weekly that their chemo isn't working and they will die in months.

You are right about the PhD not making as much money overall, however I was saying that you have to consider more than just your salary when you pick a job. I'm really enjoying myself in my program right now and don't make much money at all and feel like I am contributing to the bettering of society.

To the OP I would do whichever you want more, the science route may not have immediate gratification. Undergraduate science curricula and grad school can be bruising and people drop out all the time.