Is this forum a democracy or Police State

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Regardless of what this forum "is", it has lots of people posting on it, so "they" must be doing something right.

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Wherever the Dong guides me, but mostly Hawaii
azanon said:
Regardless of what this forum "is", it has lots of people posting on it, so "they" must be doing something right.
I wouldn't give credit for this site to the Mods. Someone originally had a good idea, but now the posters make this site what it is.

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
happyguy said:
I am going to save every post I make now so I can email them to the admin when they get deleted. I am all for keeping silly discussions in check, but spending time composing a response only to see it deleted unceremoniously, ain't a good feeling. The mods have to be sadists to delete good posts. I am going to be speaking out against the mediocre moderdom here. Don't care if I get kicked out. Can't let stupidity reign.

:woo:
I'm taking you up in rank to head general. :D

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
happyguy said:
The mods have to be sadists to delete good posts. I am going to be speaking out against the mediocre moderdom here. Don't care if I get kicked out. Can't let stupidity reign.
The only posts you've had deleted were in the Mature Man's forum and this was due to the fact that you ignored the very simple rule of putting an age on your profile (which you've since corrected, thank you). PARADOX and I delete many post for the same reason, not because of the views expressed, but because the poster simply didn't make the effort to read the rules of the forum.

As far as closing threads is concerned; we're expected to close all threads that are based on religion, race, or political bent - again, refresh your understanding of the rules here. We also exercize our independent judgement to determine personal attacks, flame threads, trolls, spammers, irrelevant posts (with regard to topic), and of course the age of the poster in the MM forum. I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to make the decision to close a thread of a very important topic all because a flame war breaks out or I find some particularly annoying poster happens to have multiple user accounts. I also happen to think that the ban on "looks" threads are a bit draconian, but they are necessary because this topic only ever devolves into name calling and insult hurling.

Mods don't make the rules, but we are expected to enforce them.

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Rollover Toomuchi

Good boy Rollo. Go fetch the post! Now sit, siiiit. Good! Now rollo over.

JK, having fun. I guess this is a good enough explanation. But i'd still like to know the exact reason my thread was closed. Was it because I said "Black Girl" instead of African? Can you never mention nationality? Could I never make a field report that mentions the country the girl was from and how I had to adjust my approach? Where the definitive lines drawn?

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
With regards to looks threads, having 3 or more threads that have the same debate going on in them is pointless and a waste of space. The initial posts may not start out the same, but it eventually evolves to become the same argument. We really don't need multiple threads about looks vs personality, and many of the other members of this forum are currently tired of this worn-out discussion.

If you'd like to read more about looks vs personality, there's a huge thread in the archive:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24670

As for the threads regarding race or racial subjects, every one of them I've seen that has been left open has turned into a race-bashing flame war. Then our inboxes get filled with reported posts. There may be nothing wrong with your initial post, but experience tells us that threads regarding this subject lead off into the same direction. We would prefer to avoid offending those who have different skin color, different nationalities, and come from different countries. This website is for everybody, and we'd like them to feel welcome instead of insulted.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dongfu said:
I'll leave if I'm voted out. You don't really pay that good of attention for a Mod. :whistle:
You could always create your own forum, it's been done before. There's no need to stay on a site which doesn't fulfill your needs. "NEXT!" :rockon:

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
This website is for everybody, and we'd like them to feel welcome instead of insulted.
I agree. But why not just ban flamers instead of closing threads where we can openly discuss the nuances of women of different nationalities?

Or, perhaps there should be an unmoderated discussion thread that is "at your own risk."

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
You could always create your own forum, it's been done before. There's no need to stay on a site which doesn't fulfill your needs. "NEXT!" :rockon:
That would make you so happy wouldn't it Frank. I think I would stick around anyway just so you have an arch enemy. Still bitter about the argument we had a while back? Get over it man. Water under the bridge already.

BTW, using this sign :rockon: at your age is a little ridiculous. I'm skeptical about a 40 year old who still thinks in terms of Beavis and Butthead. :nono:

Anyway, I'd like to see you put a little more on the line from time to time. Anyone can give brief, conservative observations.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dongfu said:
That would make you so happy wouldn't it Frank. I think I would stick around anyway just so you have an arch enemy...
You give yourself way too much credit Dong. You're assuming that your existence matters to me withing this forum or without. Like I said, you give yourself way too much credit. Besides, there are others within the forum with way much more ability than you to deserve the title of "Arch Enemy." Dong, the best you could could ever achieve is "Arch Enema."

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would this place be a democracy of anykind? It has an individual owner who runs it the way he sees fit. Why should he adhere to the voices of the know it all peions who use it as their public soap box? He won't and he shouldn't and to enforce and expand upon the rules in his house, he selected people to police and patrol the premisis. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
You give yourself way too much credit Dong. You're assuming that your existence matters to me withing this forum or without. Like I said, you give yourself way too much credit. Besides, there are others within the forum with way much more ability than you to deserve the title of "Arch Enemy." Dong, the best you could could ever achieve is "Arch Enema."
Monkey Punch . . . dong stumbles back :crackup:

Your a master of deflection. I'll leave you to figure it out.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dongfu said:
Someone originally had a good idea, but now the posters make this site what it is.
If it went unmoderated, it'd destroy itself within months, tops.

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
azanon said:
If it went unmoderated, it'd destroy itself within months, tops.
True, but what I am suggesting is that posters or thread starters be given a chance to alter the thread rather than have it locked.

And why is this Stormfront thread still open?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dongfu said:
Or, perhaps there should be an unmoderated discussion thread that is "at your own risk."
That's like asking for a tumor to be implanted in your brain.

Dongfu, or whoever you are, this site runs fine and helps tens of thousands of people a year. Stirring the pot, baiting users, and flaming isn't exactly needed or wanted.

Most people who start looks threads do it for the sole purpose of creating an argument. Each looks thread that has come and gone in my time here has been a carbon copy of the one before, just phrased a little different. For that reason, we don't see a need to have more than one. The whole topic is redundant and will NEVER be concluded with a single answer because it's a subjective topic and we all view our world in a different lens.

peace

AFC Savior

Banned
Reaction score
may I asked why the HUGE HUGE looks discussion in the Archive is LOCKED?

i mean wtf, obviously if people cannot go to the big thread you mods keep referencing to (the huge 80+ page looks thread in the archive section), then of course we are going to make new threads bout looks

if you lock the one and big thread that u keep saying "go here, go here, plenty of info on the looks debate here"........but people want to actually POST, and u cant post on a locked thread

I bet if you guys unlocked the big looks thread in the archive, nobody would ever post a new looks thread again

the looks thread thats locked that I am referring to is here:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24670

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The mods tried to create one "Looks thread" where everyone could post by combining I don't know how many independent threads into one; that's why is says "Official Merged Thread" at the very top of it. It didn't work and addition threads were still created because the main purpose of these new threads wasn't to generally discuss the topic but were modes of self marketing of personal ideas which the originator didn't want to be lost in a myriad of different ideas as in the "official" thread.

Why do you think certain people get so pissed when "they're thread" is locked? They even act as if it was a personal assault upon them. They are upset because their personal agenda was stopped in their tracks.

That's why it's not surprising the term "Democracy" was thrown up yet again. You look at what has become to Democracy here in the states and you see little organization. It's basically a bunch of people enforcing their personal agendas upon others. Even if it's personally sound for the individual, they're usually quite silly for the masses. Some of the personal agendas in this forum are no different.

So here we are in the forum with an attempt to overthrow the government (yet again) because someone feels slighted because their personal agenda wasn't allowed. Since this was recognized and it is common that certain topics creates discord and separation within the forum, the mods do their job and enforce the forum rules. The rules that people agree to when requesting a user account.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
looks like it still is the same sh!t different day type of thing going on.

To the mods: :up: to the moderating

To everyone else: good luck with your holiday party sarging.

Happy holidays from comic_relief

comic_relief

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PRMoon said:
Why would this place be a democracy of anykind? It has an individual owner who runs it the way he sees fit. Why should he adhere to the voices of the know it all peions who use it as their public soap box? He won't and he shouldn't and to enforce and expand upon the rules in his house, he selected people to police and patrol the premisis. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Best post in this ridiculous, whiny thread.

The site has rules, and if you cant follow them, you get banned or have your posts deleted. The rules are not unfair or unreasonable. It is NOT a democracy. It is a privately ran forum for all to use, provided they follow a few rules. If you dont like the moderating, go somewhere else. Or, get off your lazy a$$ and start your own forum with your own rules. Every web forum in the world has some villiage idiot who clogs the boards with flames, insults, and whining. Grow up.

Dongfu

Banned
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
That's like asking for a tumor to be implanted in your brain.

Dongfu, or whoever you are, this site runs fine and helps tens of thousands of people a year. Stirring the pot, baiting users, and flaming isn't exactly needed or wanted.

Most people who start looks threads do it for the sole purpose of creating an argument. Each looks thread that has come and gone in my time here has been a carbon copy of the one before, just phrased a little different. For that reason, we don't see a need to have more than one. The whole topic is redundant and will NEVER be concluded with a single answer because it's a subjective topic and we all view our world in a different lens.

peace
Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to bait or stir. I just wanted an answer as to why my thread was closed, and I still haven't gotten one from a moderator. My thread wasn't about looks.