Is there any real reason to not consume lots of liquids in your diet?

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been struggling to eat lately. Usually don't start eating until late afternoon/early evening or sometimes do OMAD. I just have no appetite all day and when I'm finally hungry I eat a big meal and get lethargic after even if its low in carbs or has healthy carbs. I probably only need to lose max 15 lbs of fat to be where I want (roughly 12% bodyfat), but restricting cals doing IM fasting is starting to be really difficult because it limits my energy levels and makes the gym a slog, and if anything is making me eat more, which is a unique problem I've never had before (been doing this for years).

I've started drinking plain whole fat kefir with raw dark cocoa (no sugar), bone broth, liquid eggs, kombucha, and occassional oat or veggie smoothies. I find all this helps give me more stable energy and get enough protein and whatnot. And doesn't seem to impact GI health negatively in fact it seems improved.

Is there any real downside to this? There's some evidence that fiber is massively overrated (will drop source if anyone wants) though I do still get a decent amount from oats, veggies, fruits, and occassional corn tortillas or healthy bread. The bulk of my cals are usually meats/seafood with not too many carbs except from oats or fruits and a bit from kombucha/kefir for the most part.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well the 1000 bathroom runs may be an issue. Personally, I use a pissbag connected to my unit and it makes things so much easier.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well the 1000 bathroom runs may be an issue. Personally, I use a pissbag connected to my unit and it makes things so much easier.
I haven't had any changes in bathroom habits or anything but then again i don't have typical reactions to foods. For instance, excessively spicy foods make me constipated. On the flipside, I drank 8 cups of kefir one day and had zero bloating/gas from it...

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Based on your description, it seems you're experiencing some challenges with your current eating pattern and intermittent fasting (IF) approach. Here are some key points to consider:

1. Appetite and meal timing: Your lack of appetite until late afternoon/evening is likely due to your intermittent fasting schedule. While IF can be beneficial for some, it may not be ideal for everyone.

2. Energy levels and gym performance: The lethargy after eating and difficulty at the gym suggest that your current approach might be impacting your energy levels negatively.

3. Calorie restriction: If you're struggling with energy levels and gym performance, it's possible you're restricting calories too much. This can lead to fatigue and decreased appetite over time.

4. Nutrient intake: Your inclusion of kefir, bone broth, eggs, and smoothies is a positive step towards getting more balanced nutrition throughout the day.

5. Fiber intake: While some evidence suggests fiber might be overrated, it still plays an important role in digestive health and satiety. Your current intake from oats, vegetables, and fruits is likely beneficial.

As for downsides to your current approach:

1. Potential nutrient deficiencies if you're not getting a wide variety of foods due to restricted eating windows.
2. Possible metabolic slowdown if calorie restriction is too severe for too long.
3. Risk of overeating during your eating window, which can lead to digestive discomfort and energy fluctuations.

To improve your situation, consider:

1. Gradually extending your eating window to allow for more balanced meals throughout the day.
2. Ensuring adequate protein intake to support muscle maintenance and recovery.
3. Focusing on nutrient-dense foods to meet your nutritional needs within your calorie goals.
4. Adjusting your calorie intake to support your activity levels and fitness goals.

Remember, the best diet is one that's sustainable and supports your overall health and fitness goals. If your current approach is causing persistent issues, it may be worth reassessing and making adjustments.

Here are some links, you might be interested in:
Get Help - National Eating Disorders Association https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help/
What's Causing My Fatigue and Loss of Appetite? - Healthline https://www.healthline.com/health/fatigue-and-loss-of-appetite
Loss of Appetite: Causes & Treatment - Cleveland Clinic https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/symptoms/24228-loss-of-appetite
Loss of Appetite in the Elderly | A Place for Mom https://www.aplaceformom.com/caregiver-resources/articles/appetite-loss
11 Signs That You're Not Eating Enough - Healthline https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/signs-of-not-eating-enough

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Based on your description, it seems you're experiencing some challenges with your current eating pattern and intermittent fasting (IF) approach. Here are some key points to consider:

1. Appetite and meal timing: Your lack of appetite until late afternoon/evening is likely due to your intermittent fasting schedule. While IF can be beneficial for some, it may not be ideal for everyone.

2. Energy levels and gym performance: The lethargy after eating and difficulty at the gym suggest that your current approach might be impacting your energy levels negatively.

3. Calorie restriction: If you're struggling with energy levels and gym performance, it's possible you're restricting calories too much. This can lead to fatigue and decreased appetite over time.

4. Nutrient intake: Your inclusion of kefir, bone broth, eggs, and smoothies is a positive step towards getting more balanced nutrition throughout the day.

5. Fiber intake: While some evidence suggests fiber might be overrated, it still plays an important role in digestive health and satiety. Your current intake from oats, vegetables, and fruits is likely beneficial.

As for downsides to your current approach:

1. Potential nutrient deficiencies if you're not getting a wide variety of foods due to restricted eating windows.
2. Possible metabolic slowdown if calorie restriction is too severe for too long.
3. Risk of overeating during your eating window, which can lead to digestive discomfort and energy fluctuations.

To improve your situation, consider:

1. Gradually extending your eating window to allow for more balanced meals throughout the day.
2. Ensuring adequate protein intake to support muscle maintenance and recovery.
3. Focusing on nutrient-dense foods to meet your nutritional needs within your calorie goals.
4. Adjusting your calorie intake to support your activity levels and fitness goals.

Remember, the best diet is one that's sustainable and supports your overall health and fitness goals. If your current approach is causing persistent issues, it may be worth reassessing and making adjustments.

Here are some links, you might be interested in:
Get Help - National Eating Disorders Association https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help/
What's Causing My Fatigue and Loss of Appetite? - Healthline https://www.healthline.com/health/fatigue-and-loss-of-appetite
Loss of Appetite: Causes & Treatment - Cleveland Clinic https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/symptoms/24228-loss-of-appetite
Loss of Appetite in the Elderly | A Place for Mom https://www.aplaceformom.com/caregiver-resources/articles/appetite-loss
11 Signs That You're Not Eating Enough - Healthline https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/signs-of-not-eating-enough
I'll wager 1000 bucks you chat-gpt'd that lmfao.

The problem I have is that I don't have the appetite to eat food throughout the day, so liquids seem to help since they're so easy. But I always hear that consuming a lot your calories in liquids is bad (especially the lack of chewing which is a real concern).

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I'll wager 1000 bucks you chat-gpt'd that lmfao.

The problem I have is that I don't have the appetite to eat food throughout the day, so liquids seem to help since they're so easy. But I always hear that consuming a lot your calories in liquids is bad (especially the lack of chewing which is a real concern).
You’d be kinda correct sir. Doesn’t make the advice any less applicable. I did add some stuff. I have access to a beta Mayo Clinic LLM I used.

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What are your calories at now and how much do you weigh?
I don't count cals but my BMR is apparently about 1800, so im guessing about 2200 or whatever working out, though my working out isnt very consistent either in terms of intensity and how many hours a week im spending.

I also don't weigh myself often but about 6' 185 +-3 last few times i checked. Could be 190 in which case I may need to lose like 20 lbs of fat

You’d be kinda correct sir. Doesn’t make the advice any less applicable. I did add some stuff. I have access to a beta Mayo Clinic LLM I used.
Oh, well thanks. Not saying it was bad info I just thought it was funny

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I don't count cals but my BMR is apparently about 1800, so im guessing about 2200 or whatever working out, though my working out isnt very consistent either in terms of intensity and how many hours a week im spending.

I also don't weigh myself often but about 6' 185 +-3 last few times i checked. Could be 190 in which case I may need to lose like 20 lbs of fat

Oh, well thanks. Not saying it was bad info I just thought it was funny
My goal is to help, I will use the the knowledge and resources I have available to me to do so. :p

ludovic991

Reaction score
I've been struggling to eat lately. Usually don't start eating until late afternoon/early evening or sometimes do OMAD. I just have no appetite all day and when I'm finally hungry I eat a big meal and get lethargic after even if its low in carbs or has healthy carbs. I probably only need to lose max 15 lbs of fat to be where I want (roughly 12% bodyfat), but restricting cals doing IM fasting is starting to be really difficult because it limits my energy levels and makes the gym a slog, and if anything is making me eat more, which is a unique problem I've never had before (been doing this for years).

I've started drinking plain whole fat kefir with raw dark cocoa (no sugar), bone broth, liquid eggs, kombucha, and occassional oat or veggie smoothies. I find all this helps give me more stable energy and get enough protein and whatnot. And doesn't seem to impact GI health negatively in fact it seems improved.

Is there any real downside to this? There's some evidence that fiber is massively overrated (will drop source if anyone wants) though I do still get a decent amount from oats, veggies, fruits, and occassional corn tortillas or healthy bread. The bulk of my cals are usually meats/seafood with not too many carbs except from oats or fruits and a bit from kombucha/kefir for the most part.
It sounds like you're experimenting with different foods to find what works for you, which is great! The kefir, bone broth, and liquid eggs might be helping with energy and protein intake.

However, relying heavily on these liquids might lead to nutrient imbalances or deficiencies in the long run