iPhone

Exhumed

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like non-touch screen phones. People who buy crappy touch screen phones are stupid. Girls especially, so many girls bought the Dare when it came out and then went "OMG!! i cant txt with a touch screen!!" Yeah, no sh!t, so don't buy one. You're not going to pay the extra $50 a month for sh!tty TV and internet anyways, meaning you have no reason to own that goddamn phone. If I want a smartphone I'll get a Blackberry, sans touch screen. The Droid is a piece of garbage, it doesn't even have a multitouch keyboard.

The iPhone is great, but I don't have AT&T, and I'm satisfied with my iPod Touch.

Reaction score
This is one of the many reasons I hate Apple with a burning passion. Phones and laptops are appliances, not a goddamn lifestyle.

Now your car on the other hand...

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MikeBrown30 said:
I'm ignorant? At 22 I have figured out that having a flashy phone does not mean sh1t. Are you sure you're 31?
I believe so. I'm still waiting for him to make a thread praising manbags. We're getting there.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
Well really it's just $100 a month, and I don't have a home phone any more, so it's pretty minimal part of my expenses and I use it a lot in my daily life to look at my stock prices, make trades, find things, look things up and sometimes I even use it to communicate with others.
I looked on the ATT site new contract $260 with unlimited everything. iPhone.

On the other hand, what sort of car requires $300 a month to maintain? Mine only needs a periodic service every 5K miles and some fuel once in a while. Sounds like either a very exotic car (which is a bad investment, no matter how much fun it is) or a real clunker.
I consider all purchases to be maintenance. Some repairs, fuel, oil changes, tire cost spread out over the useful life of the tire... etc. It does cost me about $300 to maintain the thing. I also replace whatever breaks with a higher quality part. Just last week I replaced my old rotors with some nice slotted ones and new dust-less pads.

It's an 04 Impreza btw.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
starfishandcoffee said:
This is one of the many reasons I hate Apple with a burning passion. Phones and laptops are appliances, not a goddamn lifestyle.

Now your car on the other hand...
Um, yeah, no kidding. I've been doing Mobile Device development since 2000, and although I recently moved to other projects I've used most Smart Phones out there quite extensively. The iPhone simply gets out of the way and does what I need it to do better than anything else out there at the moment.

Also the wide range of well written apps permit me to use it for a lot of things. I can compute my diving mixes, log dives, watch my stock account, keep my grocery list, my packing checklist for travel, my to do list, find things near me, listen to internet radio, and a plethora of other things, all in one small human friendly package.

Frankly while I can afford a car that would excite me, I don't have enough excess cash to JUSTIFY it.

I do waste a little money on motorcycles though.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
I looked on the ATT site new contract $260 with unlimited everything. iPhone.
Alle_Gory said:
You keep spending that $300 a month on iPhone service ...
I'm just here to tell ya, my bill is just under $100, including some international and unlimited data. Maybe $300 is what YOU would pay.

Alle_Gory said:
I consider all purchases to be maintenance.
Ah, I consider fuel part of operating costs, but not maintenance. In any case, seems high, I guess you drive a lot. My car is transportation, nothing more; I can't justify a car that would excite me at this point.