Interesting Results From Lifting Often

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
hey all,
i have made some interesting observations since i started a new workout program a week ago. I lift 5 days a week, monday through friday; the most i have ever lifted is 3 days a week.

heres what ive noticed; my sex drive has gone insane, im 19, but i feel like im 13/14 years old again. im getting random boners in class just from seeing a girl and thinking nearly every girl is bonable, even not so hot ones. also, i know i should be sleeping 8 hours a night. but i have become an insomiac. i literally sleep 3 hours a night, and i feel great! not even like im tired at all or groggy. i have no problem getting up early or going to bed late. i dont know if this is normal or whats going on, but im loving these results.

has anyone else ever experienced this?

XxGodJrxX

Don Juan
Reaction score
How do you know that having random boners in class and having insomnia is related to lifting more often? Since I started lifting, I can't say that I have gotten less sleep or popped more boners than before. Taking in more caffeine can give you insomnia and more boners can't it, as well as an infinite amount of other factors. Not to sound like a bummer or anything :p

-Freddie

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The sex drive is definitely a side effect from the lifting. You'll have an increased testosterone presence in your body, and testosterone = horny.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ahhhh, to be 13 1/2 again.... :p

Yeah, keep it up. Take advantage of that testosterone rush...

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry to ask but, have you actually made any gains on this program, or are you just in it for the boners?

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alpine
Sorry to ask but, have you actually made any gains on this program, or are you just in it for the boners?
don't ever make me laugh again when I have oatmeal porridge in my mouth :D

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
well, ive only been on it for a week, so its to early to tell, these were just the immediate results

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What you may find is this type of routine will work, but is not sustainable for more than a few weeks.

However it's very dependent upon whether you are training at a submaximal level.

For instance, if you are on a super abbreviated routine doing 2 sets of triples at 80% of 1RM then fine.

If you are doing 5 sets to failure in any rep range per body part, hardly anyone will gain after a few weeks on a five day program.

Unless of course you have some assistance.

You may have a testosterone spurt at the moment, as your body quickly overtrains your libido will diminish significantly.

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
so, would you reccomend i run this for 3 weeks, then switch over to a 3 day split for a month or 2, take a week off, then go back on it...would that be a good setup?

oh yeah heres what i do
4 exercises per day 4 sets per exercise 12 10 8 6-7 nearly my max on the 6-7 as i can barely get them off... so intense training
monday=chest
tuesday=legs
wednesday=back
thursday=shoulders
friday=arms (bi's/tri's)
oh yeah and i eat like a race horse

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
heh good for you.

I can say working out definitely helps me sleep better at night, usually i sleep 8+ hrs a nite....compared to before i worked out i was a major insomniac.

sex drive? well it's on and off for the most part, rather fluxiating

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know the single bodypart per day routines are popular on here, and most of you are young fit lads who gain quite well on it.

I just think that after a month or so, what happens is people stall, decide to change exercises in a bid to supposedly 'shock' the body back into growth, and of course are back to a starting poundage.

The problem is, if you are anywhere near all out effort on your leg day, there is no way on earth you are recovered the next for your back. It's your whole system that has to recover not just the individual muscle.

Now if you are training submaximally on an abbreviated routine, sure you can train 5 days a week, that's what the former eastern block countries do for strength and power events.

I sometimes think the slightly lazy DJs end up more succesfull at gaining mass :eek:

He decides he's only going to train twice a week. He's only going to do deads, presses and rows and then he's going to sit in front of the box all night eating pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. Aerobics? fvck off.

He then decides once the increments on the bar gets less and less, he goes on a weeks holiday. When he comes back he doesn't want to over do things so he starts lifting again with 80% of his last max lift.

Two years later he's built like a brick sh1thouse and wonders what all the fuss was about.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by D'light
so, would you reccomend i run this for 3 weeks, then switch over to a 3 day split for a month or 2, take a week off, then go back on it...would that be a good setup?

oh yeah heres what i do
4 exercises per day 4 sets per exercise 12 10 8 6-7 nearly my max on the 6-7 as i can barely get them off... so intense training
monday=chest
tuesday=legs
wednesday=back
thursday=shoulders
friday=arms (bi's/tri's)
oh yeah and i eat like a race horse
It looks like you're setting yourself up for overtraining. Instead of working out 5 days in a row like that, make your training schedule M-W-F.

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
heres a quck update, 2 weeks in ive went from 176.7 to 183.4 so its a little increase. i eat like a frickin moose though! im completely satisfied with this rate because i should hit the 195 i want by early may!

D'light

Don Juan
Reaction score
oh yeah and i got trashed friday night, not soemthing i do but once every 2 months maybe tops...its ok im in college, and since then ive been able to sleep soundly

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's good progress mate. Just be a bit careful if you run it till may, if your weight goes up but no strength gains it could well be all fat.

Take a break for a week beginning in April.