I'm thinking about not working a year and training my skills on my own

jaeger

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been thinking alot recently and I'm considering saving up money to survive a year and just occupy myself with projects to hone my skills.

I'm am currently an engineer and I love learning, but I have a hard time focusing on things without a cause. Therefor I alwayse put myself in projects like designing machine which already exist and then study all the material that I need to fully design and calculate that machine. The handy thing is that I can alwayse find people who know more than me about it so if I do have questions I can alwayse ask them. But the fun part to me is alwayse finding stuff out myself, or at least give it a go!

For instance during my college I had to decide a subject for my thesis, so I decided to fully design an engine.

So I started designing and kept on stumbling upon problems to continue my design, so I had to study these books which I normally would never have opened nor would have cared for! I learned so much more in those three months than I learned in the three years before my thesis...

My current job is just one to obtain some money and now that I have some I want to dedicate myself to do this because it's alwayse been a dream of mine to do this for a year!

Should I do it or any advice on the subject anybody?

Cheers!

COD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
U Should Start With Being Honest

I suspect your are not an Engineer, 3 years to write a thesis?????
Too much deception leakage in your post.

Being honest with YOURSELF is a good first step in attaining your goal.

Credos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
COD said:
I suspect your are not an Engineer, 3 years to write a thesis?????
Too much deception leakage in your post.

Being honest with YOURSELF is a good first step in attaining your goal.
I learned so much more in those three months than I learned in the three years before my thesis.
*claps at COD*
And I suspect you don't read decently before you post, the guy just posted he learned more from his thesis of 3 months :p

COD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CSI HIS post...........

who can take a year off and live off their savings..........and to what end work on his "game".

3 years, 3 months.........judging from his syntax I submit this dude took a class at best.

It just sounds like one of those callers that phones in fake stuff about himself just to hear himself prattle on.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
do it

Bizarro

Reaction score
If you learn more exploring things by yourself then why not? Also if you are into the type of thing I heard engineers without borders can be a pretty eye opening experience.

Eaglecreek

Don Juan
Reaction score
COD said:
3 years, 3 months.........judging from his syntax I submit this dude took a class at best.

It just sounds like one of those callers that phones in fake stuff about himself just to hear himself prattle on.
Lol stop projecting yourself on others :D TROLL

COD said:
who can take a year off and live off their savings..........and to what end work on his "game".
A coward and a dumbass like yourself probebly never will :up:

@jaeger:
If you really think this is what you have to do then just do it IMO

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have completed a thesis myself and the research took 2 years. the thesis and journal article took 6 months to publish though, so its possible that the entire process took that long.

But, a thesis on engine design would not fly unless it was a design for something novel/new. Usually research is sponsored by a federal agency like the NSF, and I just don't see them doling out money to "redesign an engine". The combustion engine is old technology, but engineers have done wonders to improve its efficiency in the past 40 years. A redesign within the context of a thesis would never be sponsored, and I can't see any professor worth their weight actually taking on a student to do this.

Than again, all of this could be lost in translation. Assuming its true, I warn you about the engineering field....employers look down on taking time off from our profession. We lose a lot the longer we are not practitioners. Either employers want someone who is fresh out of college, but still has their coursework in mind, or someone who has experience that will require very little learning to pick up the job. Taking time off will not help you get in either situation.

jaeger

Reaction score
synergy1 said:
I have completed a thesis myself and the research took 2 years. the thesis and journal article took 6 months to publish though, so its possible that the entire process took that long.

But, a thesis on engine design would not fly unless it was a design for something novel/new. Usually research is sponsored by a federal agency like the NSF, and I just don't see them doling out money to "redesign an engine". The combustion engine is old technology, but engineers have done wonders to improve its efficiency in the past 40 years. A redesign within the context of a thesis would never be sponsored, and I can't see any professor worth their weight actually taking on a student to do this.

Than again, all of this could be lost in translation. Assuming its true, I warn you about the engineering field....employers look down on taking time off from our profession. We lose a lot the longer we are not practitioners. Either employers want someone who is fresh out of college, but still has their coursework in mind, or someone who has experience that will require very little learning to pick up the job. Taking time off will not help you get in either situation.
My thesis took 1 year total, but took me about 3 months to write and publish... In my country we don't get sponsored for that stuff. Normally we had to do something for a big company but due to the crisis they lacked alot of projects. There were enough for everybody, don't get me wrong but a lot less subjects and none of them really mattered to me. So I talked about it with my professor and he told me if I really wanted to design this engine I could. The beneficial part was that we get classes on making stirling engines (as in we get to mill the iron to make the parts etc).

So having a design for a small combustion 2stroke engine was pretty nice especially if they were designed by a student (thinking about the reputation of the school). Also making engines seems to make student think more about the problems they give, like efficiency, strenghtcapacities, input/output etc...

To bad the professor stoped the year after my thesis, the engine still hasen't been made and to be honest there are still some minor mistakes that need adjustment (due to lack of time, one year ain't long to make sure everything works).

That being said, you're probebly right about not working a year, it could really cost me more than just money, but also next job oppertunaties... I guess I'll have to think this through some more...

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what makes you think you can't do this and still work? I work one full time and one part time job, and still have time to sneak in my "man cave" and learn something new...

jaeger

Reaction score
Btw flamers like COD, i uploaded a small image from during mid project in my solidworks design:

mid design

it's a small thing but all principles stay the same, i made a carburator, a valve for fuelinlet. Also made a timer on it so I can accelerate with it, that was the hardest part to design and describe, my professor totally didn't get how it works :D (I Suck at explaining things). Like I said it is a small engine so those componants aren't too complex all in all... on that point of the design I still had to make some adjustments to the carburator (on the left), also my valve had to be put the other way around :p

Should have made a diesel though, would have made things much easier to calculate and produce

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nice, I use solidworks as well but am not very proficient at it yet.

I was dubious about a thesis about making a motor, but figured your intent was lost in translation. No one picks up solidworks and makes what you did.

My suggestion is this; if you are dead set on not working for a year, just be aware of getting back into the field. Its not impossible by any means, and since you have some marketable skills (CAD), someone will need you down the road.

englishman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I've been thinking about just working part time for a year so I can work on things that interest me.
I work for myself so I could do it, I'd have to do some serious downscaling of my spending, but I think it's something I might do in order to do what I'm neglecting.
Last year I spent almost zero time on chasing skirt and playing guitar, travelling and writing. Fvck that!

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's really not necessary to go that extreme

find a way to make money and get good with women at the same time. example include;

work full time and go out every night and all weekend

work part time and go out as much as possible

work in jobs that will help build your skils and personality (sales, public speaking, jobs that will put you in contact with lots of women) etc.

work in another city or country and go out as much as possible

a couple of hours a day of intense, intelligent action >>>>> too much spare time to get caught up in theory or to procrastinate or otherwise delay action and learning

plus not working is unattractive and could make girls wary of you

jaeger

Reaction score
stayfly said:
It's really not necessary to go that extreme

find a way to make money and get good with women at the same time. example include;

work full time and go out every night and all weekend

work part time and go out as much as possible

work in jobs that will help build your skils and personality (sales, public speaking, jobs that will put you in contact with lots of women) etc.

work in another city or country and go out as much as possible

a couple of hours a day of intense, intelligent action >>>>> too much spare time to get caught up in theory or to procrastinate or otherwise delay action and learning

plus not working is unattractive and could make girls wary of you
I think you misunderstood... This isen't about women... It's about education as in: Making machines in solidworks, studying material to calculate the machine ETC...

It has nothing to do about seduction at all my friend... It's about getting more knowledge

stayfly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
jaeger said:
I think you misunderstood... This isen't about women... It's about education as in: Making machines in solidworks, studying material to calculate the machine ETC...

It has nothing to do about seduction at all my friend... It's about getting more knowledge
same rules apply.

too much time is often counter productive.

massive focused, intelligent action is the cure all.

all the best students and professionals I know are the ones that have the most full schedule and only short periods of time to work on their various projects. It's their intense focus that brings them results and success.

Do whatever works for you though