I'm strong... but I want to look better.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My workout routines usually consist of heavy weight and low reps.

I know this is great for building strength, but I wish to look better. I don't look toned, I'm just large. My chest sticks out, my biceps are large and my thighs are massive but they arn't really sculpted.

Should I focus on more reps of lower weight? If so what amount of reppage, etc.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
My workout routines usually consist of heavy weight and low reps.

I know this is great for building strength, but I wish to look better. I don't look toned, I'm just large. My chest sticks out, my biceps are large and my thighs are massive but they arn't really sculpted.

Should I focus on more reps of lower weight? If so what amount of reppage, etc.
no, you should keep your training the same and increase cardio, eat cleaner, employ carb cutoffs etc to lose fat. a big person with no tone = you have excess fat.

in a couple of months you'll make a huge difference, and so much the better if there's lots of muscle to show off under the fat.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was thinking of eating these foods and only these foods on a daily basis:

Lettuce - Salad oriented foods
Turkey
Chicken
Beef
Milk
Water
Pasta (early in the day)
Eggs
Toast once and a while with peanut butter

Sound good?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Listen to Warboss Alex. You're doing fine. Keep on the heavy weight low reps.

Check you're food & cut the bodyfat. You'll look great.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For cardio how's the elepitical machine at the gym?

What percentage of my max heartrate should I work at to burn fat?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
For cardio how's the elepitical machine at the gym?

What percentage of my max heartrate should I work at to burn fat?
the elliptical is fine. I don't bother with heart rates; just keep a brisk pace that requires some effort but doesn't stop you having a conversation (i.e. you can talk without getting breathless while cardio-ing).

do this for 30-45 mins every day except leg day and when/if fat loss stalls increase it to 45-60 mins. best time is before breakfast; take a scoop of whey in water beforehand or some BCAAs. wait 30-40 mins before your next meal and try to make it pro/fat (or very low GI carb).

(or do non-fasted HIIT)

I would ditch the pasta and milk if you want to lose fat. I'm also iffy about toast but if it's wholegrain sprouted bread and in strict moderation it could be okay.

be sure to drink or supplement with green tea and fish oil (10-15g a day). I'd also increase the fats in your diet (through eggs, olive oil, flax oil, nuts etc).

kidkris2007

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd say do more stretching as well.

Streching and has definitely helped my circulation and my overall manner of carrying myself. I stretch for like 30 minutes a day on top of powerlifting and that really helps my naked look. I also feel like I can focus more on which muscles I'm flexing in my workouts.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
itishe said:
Toast once and a while with peanut butter
Lots of carbs and lots of fat in the same meal really isn't a good idea if you're aiming for fat loss. Especially simple carbs like bread usually tends to be.

Once in a while if you don't mean "every other day" is probably livable.