im quitting the gym, what are your thoughts?

true|hockey

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ScrewIt
being big means losing speed. The skinny guys are always more agile than big guys cause they have less flesh to carry around. i see it all the time in soccer. The meaty guys are always clumsy when playing the game and handling the ball.

But hell if im respected more by not being underweight i'll accept losing my agility.
thats what cleans, and jerks are for. They develop explosive strength in your lower body. Being 200+ lbs, and not fitting your frame will slow you, but at 125, you hardly have to worry about that.

a nice round weight for a guy your height, 5'10" is probably 180-190 lbs, as you don't lose any speed at this weight.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
being big means losing speed. The skinny guys are always more agile than big guys cause they have less flesh to carry around. i see it all the time in soccer. The meaty guys are always clumsy when playing the game and handling the ball.
Look at those big 100m sprinters. It'll take you a while to get there and well they are the fastest guys on earth aint they? Look at basketball players to most of whom upper body muscles arent of great use, but all of them are really athletic built...and I bet you a lot of them wouldnt care about muscle if they could get (much) quicker by losing them...

Anyways I hate to say it but you're really only looking for reasons to quit. If you gonna try to bulk up and solve your little problem do it properly and dont only go once a week. Then measure your results by looking at how much more weight u can lift cause if u can lift more weight ull get bigger. It does take a while though....and this if i only gained 10 or 15 lbs a year id quit too sentence I read sounds kinda stupid 2 me too, cause 10 or 15 lbs is definetly a good result, even for beginners. Say u gain 15 lbs each year then ull have gained 45 in 3 years...........

Oh and btw **** a gym member ship, cause you can probably get a barbell, a bench and enough weight plates for those 400$ and youll only pay once and have that for your whole life...

PoloBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree, you should quit the gym, your wasting your time and money..

your natural build is thinner than average, you will always be a thin person, you should make use of what you have and do things that your body is built for, like track, long distance running,
cycling.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hmm yea thanks for the heads up.
maybe i wasnt clear, but the tall guys had mostly body fat and/or a gut, but that was probably the reason for their slow speed.

Although i cant imagine myself eating 6 meals a day, i can imagine 5. But even then the amount a normal guy can eat, i can only eat half of that before im full. e.g. a big plate of pasta, normal person can finish it, i eat a litlte over half and im done for full. either i have a small stomach or something.

Anyone have this simimlar problem or used to and care to explain why it happens and how to overcome it?

Phantasmal

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you do the six meal per day thing, or as you eat more in general, you'll adjust and end up easily taking in more food.

Phrozen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

But hell if im respected more by not being underweight i'll accept losing my agility.
Thats why the fastest guys in the world look like this right?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth/2001/world_athletics/photo_galleries/1473884.stm

silo

Reaction score
hmm yea thanks for the heads up.
maybe i wasnt clear, but the tall guys had mostly body fat and/or a gut, but that was probably the reason for their slow speed.

Although i cant imagine myself eating 6 meals a day, i can imagine 5. But even then the amount a normal guy can eat, i can only eat half of that before im full. e.g. a big plate of pasta, normal person can finish it, i eat a litlte over half and im done for full. either i have a small stomach or something.

Anyone have this simimlar problem or used to and care to explain why it happens and how to overcome it?
You can't imagine yourself eating six times a day because you don't work out properly. If you go to the gym 3x a week and really blast your muscles, you'll find yourself with a bigger appetite. Eating 6x a day doesn't mean eating six full meals, I usually have some eggs for breakfast, a sandwich at noon, a semi-big lunch at 3, some chicken and rice at 6, a bigger meal at nine, then cap it off with a protein shake before I go to sleep. If you don't have time to cook, then just either cook your meals for the entire week in one day and keep it refigerated or replace more of the meals with protein shakes or bars. I don't agree with everyone that said you should just buy weights and work out at home because the biggest difference maker in my bulking is doing compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder presses, bend over rows, pull-ups. You might be able to bench at home but I'll doubt you would want to buy a squat rack. Quit the gym because you're lazy, unmotivated and don't want to waste you're money but dont quit because you think you can replace the gym with a dumbell or two.

F.Y.I the Anthony Ellis program is the same as the skinnyguy.net program, he's just the author of that.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Home gym + a reason WHY is the way to go.

OK at the moment your motivation to get bigger is lacking, that's fine.

I suspect however at some stage it will become a priority again.

When it does, don't look to the poncey gyms for motivation, you need to look at what's in it for you. Pride in your gains, unconscious respect from your peers and of course an easy route into babes.

Heavy compounds and big cal shakes. 3meals, 3 shakes, sleep that's it.

You can deadlift, OHP, BOR and chin with weight all at home with no spotters easy, so long as your desire to achieve it is cultivated.

affliction

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I hope you reconsider it sometime in the future. You are very skinny for your size, man! I am 5'10" 152lbs & I still feel very thin. However I have gained almost 10 lbs in 2 months (started lifting in mid september and I was 143 lbs) so you can definitely make a difference if you just focus on it.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thats completely true.

If you dont stretch you'll remove flexibility. Having huge arms means you lose SOME mobility, but not much thats noticable. It's not like you're a piece of rock, your muscle still pushes in and moves around.

I was out-sprinted by a 220lbs person the other day. I knocked a 210+ guy out the other day.. size doesnt mean all that much to anything.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I weigh 125lbs at 5'10" and have gained 10lbs in the past year.
Get on the juice bro!!!! in a 2 month cycle you can bulk up 20-30 lbs!! just dont ber it longer than that though or youll get b!tch tits. do 2 months on and 2 months off. the side effects arent that bad. a few pimples on the chest and thats it, it goes away. "roid rage" is bullsh!t. dont pay attention to that cuz its not true.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This guy is 20 for starters and a newbie to lifting, and if he can't even get down the gym, he's hardly going to mess with that ****.

You can get gyno at any stage of your cycle on most aas and unless you have prescription medicines to counter it, your titty boy unless you have it cut out.

Also unless you really understand what your doing you will lose your gains when you come off.

If he's 20 he's got enough T. going through his body, if only he'd get off his ass and down the gym.

Cat Patrol

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm......417 dollars you'll save by not renewing your membership. And you want to gain weight.

I would invest that 417 bucks in.....pizza and beer! I can gain like 3 pounds over a long weekend just by drinking 18 beers a night, on Fri, Sat, and Sunday nights!

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea 417 bucks, you could eat your way to the top and get blaoted with fat. ;)

i have to cure my semi insomnia, its keeping away my growth hormones to grow muscle...

im actually a big boned person, now if i had the meat to go over that...things would be great.

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's your life, do what you want, I'm not gonna argue with you and try to convince you to keep working out, that's not my problem, it's YOURS.

Don't let a dumbell hit you on your way out.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i already stated in an earlier post that i was goign to do skinnyguy.net program and stick with the gym...

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nerdy_A
i'm 5'10-6'0

Sorry, this made me laugh. It's just that I've never met a person whose varies in height by two whole inches. LOL. :D