Ignorant Roomate

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I known this guy for about 10 years. Never really close friends, but friends. We live in a 5 person male student house. This kid is like a human tornado, everywhere he goes he leaves a mess. Me and the other 3 roommates, almost went crazy the first year living with this slob. We tried making fun of him, centering him out, yelling at him. Nothing, he thinks its a big joke. "ill clean it up later" his token phrase which he never does. Hes basically saying he doesn't give a **** about any of his roommates, or our house. He leaves the oven on, the tv on, lights on, the BBQ on, its he doesnt give a sh1t. Hes in his own little world.

Now heres the even worse part. The other 3 roommates are gone for the summer for 4 months, and its just me and him. This is not going to fly. Hes about 3 inches taller than me, (im 5'11)but im stronger. I could probably take him in a fight, if it comes to that. I have no idea how to approach this. I can not live 4 months with this retard, somethings got to give. He has 0 respect for any of my possesions. Broke my xbox 360 , Any suggestions would be helpful

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Treat his **** the same way. Break his ****, leave the house a mess, and dont do dishes. Get plastic and paper utincils and make him do something. Or you can call him out and if he doesnt get it you gotta put your foot down.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Treat his **** the same way. Break his ****, leave the house a mess, and dont do dishes. Get plastic and paper utincils and make him do something. Or you can call him out and if he doesnt get it you gotta put your foot down.
Damn right! Give him a taste of his own medicine

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I cant do that....because i will be living in that mess too. The whole point is i want to live in a clean house. If i dont do sh1t either it will just be a giant sh1thole. 2 wrongs dont make a right ;)

SickAgain

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Move out, I've had sh!tty messy roommates before. The situation will not get solved. You must leave. Find some idiot to sublet your room to. That's what I did and I got almost my entire deposit back.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
I cant do that....because i will be living in that mess too. The whole point is i want to live in a clean house. If i dont do sh1t either it will just be a giant sh1thole. 2 wrongs dont make a right ;)
Well it would work if he breaks your stuff break his. As far as living in filth goes you have to lay down the law or suck it up or move out.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol u dont understand the situation. Like all 5 of our parents are friends, theres no way anyones moving out. Its taken alot of time and money to get the cable/internet situation figured out. My other 4 roomates are legit and we get along great. Its this one guy. We still like him as a friend, but hes a complete ignorant slob, and im spending the summer with him

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll play devil's advocate and say lead by example. Instead of playing the "who can be messier?" game, why don't you keep the place clean? If you are persistent, all you're doing is throwing 1 dish in the dishwasher per day or taking 20 seconds to put stuff away. Any personal possessions left out, don't hesitate to throw them in his room (bouncing them off the walls first is optional). If you both refuse to clean, which happens to a lot of people I know, the place turns into a pigsty very quickly. Plus, I'm willing to bet if you are consistently keeping it clean, he will catch on and try to help out. Most people will feel guilty if their roommate cleans all the time and they don't do anything. If he's actually a jackhole or purposely tries to mess the place up, then get on his case more. Make sure he knows you're not joking, too.

I've had a ton of different roommates over the years, and cleaning is definitely one of the top things people fight about, almost more than money. No one likes to do it and a lot of people keep tabs on who cleans more, and in most cases exagerrate their cause. It's a sensitive topic to a lot of people. No one wants to clean but everyone wants to have a clean place. If you want to be a good roommate then you won't count who cleans more, you'll just help out as much as you can.

Where I went to school, most of the students came from families that more or less cleaned up after them. When you take that away, it's definitely an adjustment.

Having a roommate is like being a driver; no one thinks they're a bad one, but everyone can point out all the others who are. The best thing to do is not be petty about it.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have a landlord see what they can do. Most places don't want their apartments trashed and if it is all are responsible. They may be able to get him out if he's causing a disruption.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hockey Playa said:
lol u dont understand the situation. Like all 5 of our parents are friends, theres no way anyones moving out. Its taken alot of time and money to get the cable/internet situation figured out. My other 4 roomates are legit and we get along great. Its this one guy. We still like him as a friend, but hes a complete ignorant slob, and im spending the summer with him
So what have the different parents said about all of this?

labrat

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had this sort of problem with the common room I share with 12 other students. But when I started throwing away stuff that tended to linger too long on the table (be it cutlery, magazines, or homework) it rapidly got better :rock: