If you inherited 1 million what would you do?

saige

Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone's saying invest, but I've got a terrible spending habit. I'd probably try to budget it on the stuff I really want, but I'm surprised no one here's saying they'd use it to travel the world. I'd probably put at least 50 grand aside for that alone.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In my circles, there are folks who I would get involved with that run angel funds, men and women I've been in business with and known for 20+ years. Of course, you don't just go out there and throw money at someone - that goes without saying...
Replying with Angel Investing is entirely on topic, where OP asked what each person would do.

OP assumes what each of us would do is useful information for others, which ignores individual advantages and context.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would first max out all my pensions allowances to fund my pension up to £1M.

With what’s left I would pay off my mortgage.

that would be most of the money gone. Id then just work my current job for maybe 5-6 years because without those costs, I would be saving about £50k a year. Then I’d take a job I enjoy. Although currently I’m in a pretty good spot to make national manager so if I was offered that job I might keep it. Not for the money, I would very much like to apply my ideas on that level and leave a legacy. If I did that super successfully I’d like to be a non-exec director on other boards and run my own coaching programme for senior professionals.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I’d pay off the remaining debt on my real estate portfolio (about 300K), pay off my car (about 60K), put 500K with private equity firms who I know through my network (like @Pierce.Manhammer) who specialize in REITs where they own the assets outright, and I’d take the remaining 140K and invest that in a couple of flips I’ve been renting & sitting on, which would produce another 150K in profit. I’d keep 95K in high yield savings at 5% and have remaining 140K back to horse trade with.

I’d live off the income & interest from rents & investments and I’d still work if I felt like that makes sense.

Until my daughter finishes high school I really can’t run away and join the circus.

At some point I’d enjoy learning to sail and have a boat I can go places with.

obelisk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
2 girls at one time as has already been said. It's the ONLY correct answer. :cool:

jaygreenb

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personal view is I think rates are going to go higher for longer than most anticipate. Would probably sit in some mix of high yield savings and Tbills and wait for the right opportunity to present itself. Extended high rates are going to break something at some point, lending most likely will tighten. Having a lot of liquidity at the right times in my view will pay off. In the meantime enjoy the risk free liquid 5-6% returns. Going to differ for a lot of people based on age, what they already own, risk appetite etc

BadBoy89

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Find the hottest girl between 18-29, and give her $500,000 to:

- get pregnant and deliver a healthy girl
- have the baby stay with me at all times

The other $500,000, I would take a different hot girl 18-29 out every week and spend $2,500 on her. $10,000 a month - $120,000 / year. Last me 4 awesome years.

What? Invest it all so I have some funds when I'm really old and the hot girls won't care? No, no, have to get the hot fertile girls 18-29 now.

rench

Banned
Reaction score
Find the hottest girl between 18-29, and give her $500,000 to:

- get pregnant and deliver a healthy girl
- have the baby stay with me at all times

The other $500,000, I would take a different hot girl 18-29 out every week and spend $2,500 on her. $10,000 a month - $120,000 / year. Last me 4 awesome years.

What? Invest it all so I have some funds when I'm really old and the hot girls won't care? No, no, have to get the hot fertile girls 18-29 now.
>It's the ugliest, most deformed, retarded bb

BoomToTheMoonAlice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Send every single orphan here.

Live for yourself and you live in vain. Live for others and you will live again.

mikedee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"a bunch of hookers and cocaine"

That guy is a legend