If I did right, why do I feel like ****?

noobsauce

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know I'm asking why I feel like **** and all and I know it is because of oneitis. I think I just need to get this out...It is a bit long so please bear with me.

I met a girl through a friend but it was going to be a distance thing. It was a bad idea; especially since we only seen each other once and the furthest we ever went was just cuddling. I knew it was stupid yet I ignored it and went ahead and pursued it. In fact, the only reason was because she initiated. We talked everyday online for an entire month. She even made plans to come visit me. Unfortunately, one day, her car was stolen (our mutual friend confirms this. She did not flake) and she couldn't come but I said I'll go see her instead.

Now this is where things got complicated. She met a new guy locally. This was inevitable. We originally agreed that we are going to date with no exclusivity and no commitment. I knew she was starting to date the guy and I knew her interest in me started to wane. Our conversations started to disappear and all. But, I had fallen for her at this point.

One day, I was thinking and it dawned on me that we can not work out. The distance is too far (8 hour drive). We didn't know if we would even end up in the same area in the future though that possibility was there, it wouldn't be for another 2 years. It wouldn't be fair for either of us. I also knew about the other guy and knew I shouldn't let her wait to see if we had anything. I had to let her go.

We talked and mutually agreed that this distance does suck and we ended things. But note this, we did not even get a chance to go on a legitimate date. We agreed to try to remain friends.

The next day, by sheer coincidence, the new guy, after only dating one weekend (the same weekend we had the talk), asked her to be his girlfriend. She agreed but said she isn't ready to announce it on Facebook. Unfortunately, the guy announced that he was no longer single so I found out. It nearly destroyed me but I knew this was coming...just not this soon.

We talked again and I told her that I liked her and while she liked me, she didn't like me to the extent that I did. She and I still want to remain friends but I told her that I will need more time. I have to cut off contact from her and asked her to let me go at my own pace.

It's been a few days but I still feel crappy. My family and friends all tell me I made the right choice. I feel like they are just telling me this to make me feel better. I feel like I should've fought harder for her and everything. Sure, we would have ended on bad terms but the pain I feel then surely couldn't have been as bad as I feel now...could it?

We were both desperate for having someone love us that we ignored all the red flags. I ended up being hurt while she is able to move on quickly. Why was I so stupid? I don't know.

I really liked this girl and because I did, I had to let her go.

Please give me your feedback. Did I truly do right? Will I be able to get over her? Will we actually be able to remain friends?

crazyboy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You feel for a girl that you didn't even get to date or even have sex with. Your trying be with a girl that live 8 hours from you. There nothing there to begin with man. But best advice my dad ever told me with is being a man and forget about her. You got more important things to worry about. No you wont be friend. Yeah you would get over her isn't like your actually going to see her no time soon. and Yes you did right be done with it.

noobsauce

Don Juan
Reaction score
I know it was a mistake. I know I will get over it eventually, but I guess I'm just trying to get reassurance that this will pass. I just have this bad habit of remembering things. I try to focus on working out, reading, and doing my job but every so often, she pops into my head. When will it stop?

and we really can't be friends again?

joverby

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
crazyboy said:
You feel for a girl that you didn't even get to date or even have sex with. Your trying be with a girl that live 8 hours from you. There nothing there to begin with man. But best advice my dad ever told me with is being a man and forget about her. You got more important things to worry about. No you wont be friend. Yeah you would get over her isn't like your actually going to see her no time soon. and Yes you did right be done with it.
This is all you need to know. IDK why you'd want to be her friend, she lives 8 hours away from you. Don't you want some friends that live close, your just trying to cling on.

49au

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
This girl is not your problem.

Your mindset is the problem.

Sometimes we develop what guys here call "oneitis." We have to have a particular girl and will go to any lengths to "fight" for her. I have done it, as I'm sure most here have at one point or another.

But for you to experience this for a girl who lives 8 hours away, whom you have never even dated, and who cannot offer you a sexual relationship in addition to the emotional connection we can enjoy with women, says something about your own state. There is something going on in you, stemming from insecurity, fear, and neediness. That's what I would work on.

mahoney

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
there is nothing wrong with being friends in the future - but only if it is for the right reasons - and at the moment the reasons probably aren't right

the other difficulty is...shes 8 hours away and you didnt really get to know her yet, so theres not really that much to base a friendship on.

if she was in the same city...or there were mutual friends, i would say moving into a friendship area is not a bad thing, its always good to know more people and you can never have enough friends but in this scenario i think it probably isn't helpful to do so

i think you have to leave this really

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
F$ck her! She has been doing this guy all along and probably sucked his **** after the first date. They may even have history together going back years. The local dudes are close and circle the woman like sharks, it probably takes less than a week for a decent looking woman to hookup with someone, or have her girlfriends find her a man if she is indeed looking. Moreover I have to add that she may be a long distance AW. P.S. Out of sight, out of mind. NO need to stress over it. Plus you didnt even sleep with her or made her fall in love with you due to distance and a lack of face time. I ve seen women fly to another continent to f**ck a dude.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes we develop oneitis for a girl against our better judgement and that's something we can't help, but once you truly let go, it will feel better.

I'll also say you made a lot of mistakes here. When a girl is pulling back you should never chase her, never tell her how you feel, or anything like that. No long discussions either. If you sense you are losing her, you have to pull back (dont tell her, just do it and don't offer any explanation). It's the only way to regain her interest, or failing that, to move on.

Obviously you know, logically speaking, that things wouldn't work out with her because of distance. It's only because she's moved on and met someone else that you feel this way. Perhaps it's because you feel rejected or replaced and that wounds your ego, but it's really no use thinking about her because she's still the same distance away and it won't work out.

Forget being friends. There's nothing in it for you. Just find something to keep you busy, take time to improve yourself - work out, read up on some seduction material, and just set yourself the goal of becoming a cooler and more attractive guy if you ever meet her again.