I'd like all of your views on 'girl friends', i.e. women who are no-strings buddies.

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a music/theater nerd, and since that's my major, 90 percent of my friends are in that circle. Naturally, about three quarters of them are girls.

I do have crushes in the circle, but since it tends to be close-knit I put them all on the back-burner...would rather date strangers and avoid the "oooh, so-and-so's dating so-and-so" banter being directed at me. I'll pour alcohol into an open wound before I add unnecessary drama to my love life.

I'm just curious what the general perception is of a guy who flat out hangs around with the opposite sex that much. Gay? Pushover? Ladies' man? It does have its advantages (2 of my cuter choir mates approached me during a coffee date last time, it was great) but I'd hate to look like an AFC lapdog.

Kal0051

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
umm, you do know that guys and girls can be friends right? Here's an example, my best friend is a girl, I'm attracted to her (she's a HB7), but I'd never want to date her (I'd sleep with her as long as no feelings were involved). When we were younger there were always rumors about us, ppl asking us if we were dating (and why we weren't). But we're just friends and I'm sure ppl don't think I'm gay, an afc, or anything else.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only way you look like an AFC is if you are insecure and don't believe fully in what you do.

If you're afraid that your future profession (acting) is going to interfere with you pulling women, then it's probably not the profession for you. I say this because acting takes a lot of sucking up of your pride (you probably know this).

Are theater majors looked upon as gay where I'm from? Yes. They are actually. But this should not interfere with you getting your thing going with women.

I say date women in your social circle, f*ck it. I mean how much action are you getting now? It sounds to me as if not enough to be picky enough to weed girls in your social circle out.

MascaraSnake

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
let me clarify

I think it's OK being friends with a girl, but I've just seen a lot of posts on here saying the opposite (hence why I asked this way). As for action, less than I'd like at the moment but I should be living in the city in a few months when I transfer to a 4-year school. Can't wait.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MascaraSnake said:
I think it's OK being friends with a girl, but I've just seen a lot of posts on here saying the opposite (hence why I asked this way). As for action, less than I'd like at the moment but I should be living in the city in a few months when I transfer to a 4-year school. Can't wait.
I don't think there is a definite answer to that question. Anyone who says there is might as well just call themselves ignorant. Everyone has their beliefs. I've seen men who have plenty of girl friends who pull pvssy. The again I've seen men with no girl friends who pull.

Myself, I have a few female friends but this is only because they date my friends. The rest of the women are like a sea of fish waiting to be hooked. I'll make a temporary friend with a chick in class maybe to work to my benefit or what not, but I've yet to have that 'one' great female friend who has been in my life in the tough times and bad. Once again, everyone is different.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I'm in the music department at college, and I have a few different female friends from there. It's no big deal. We share a common interest.

I mean, they still think and talk like girls, not your typical friend, but they are still fun to be around from time to time.

Ambition Now

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it is totally OK for a man to have girl friends, the problem just starts if the guy wants to be more than friends with the girl and develop a platonic relationship with her.

Some girls are better to keep as friends, I have one girl friend who is more loyal and sincere with me than she is with her boyfriend, I consider her as a sister and she consider me as a brother, no problem at all...

Good friendships are always good and a valuable thing in life, no matter if its a guy or a girl.

Yuma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Three cheers for social proof, yeah?

I have a lot of friends who are girls. And the majority of them, I'd never date; they're just good friends. But, if they're hot, they can be invaluable.

Outside of the superficial realm of things, you can have friends of both sexes. There's no rule stating otherwise. The only thing that can make you an AFC is you, not the people you have in your circle.

Duffdog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my best friend was a girl-- a very hot one at that. The only problem I could see is that she sort of scared away other girls when we went out together. She would have to physically leave before any chics I was talking to felt comfortable. I would get a lot of "Here, take my number before your girlfriend sees me." I got tired of saying "she's not my girlfriend!" over and over. But, other than that small detail, its no big deal really. Nobody cares if you have a friend who is a female and it can help out with other things too.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having female friends is fine, but only if you can handle it. If you are the kind of guy that quickly falls for any girl you are around then do yourself a favor and don't have lady friends.

Having social proof from her and using her as a wingwoman are completely pointless when she's the one who's pants you want to get into. You are only lying to yourself and her.

Speaking from experience.

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A bit off topic, I always found it interesting that drama/theatre people were considered nerds in school, but professional actors in movies and TVs are celebrities and stars. Just a thought.