I will never eat a raw egg again.

Memory

Reaction score
So this morning before my workout i decided to down a few raw eggs because i've been reading about how good they can be lately. I've had raw egg whites before but never whole raw eggs. It was disgusting - i mixed up three in a cup and it tasted like i was downing a gigantic loogi.

I went to the gym and started off with conditioning because my football team likes to get that out of the way before we go and lift. Now i've conditioned this hard before so it was nothing new, but the whole time i felt like i was going to spew everywhere.

By the time i finally got to lifting weights i felt so weak and i was shaking all over. I've been lifting for almost five years and i just had the worst workout i've ever had. Perhaps my body is just not used to eggs or maybe it was just one of those days - nonetheless i thought i'd send out a warning to anyone considering trying this.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha blend them in a protein shake next time, and for future reference if your new to raw eggs don't start out taking them right before a workout/practice/class/interview/work/day2/family dinner/basically any situation that you don't want to almost puke in. Start off taking them during a time where you don't have anything important to do incase you get sick, same goes with taking straight olive oil too.

Bling

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had an egg a day for 2 weeks, and I just gave up. I had diarrhea 4 times. :down:

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol

I have many eggs per day, however I do cook them.

On that note, are a couple of eggs before bed a good idea? I hear a mix of protein and fats is best before bed, and eggs fit the bill.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
12 eggs so far today (4 cooked, 8 raw)... no problems. :D If I start training again soon this amount will double.

As with anything, you must work into it.

Aenigma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I use to eat raw eggs, but then I learned that you get twice as much protein out of them if you actually cook them- go figure. No risk of Salmonella poisoning either.

ORTIZ SANCHEZ

Don Juan
Reaction score
i mix them with protein shake and other stuff in a blender it wont taste as bad and you wont feel it

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aenigma said:
I use to eat raw eggs, but then I learned that you get twice as much protein out of them if you actually cook them- go figure.
how and where did you learn this?

Brian McGee

Don Juan
Reaction score
Exp said:
you know what, I've heard this too. It's something regarding your body's ability to absorb the protein. With raw eggs you can only get 50% from it, and from cooked you get around 95%.
So have I (does a quick google search)

http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/EggsAndDairy says:

A large chicken egg provides approximately 6 grams of protein.

Protein content of egg white = 3.6g, protein content of egg yolk = 2.7g

Because of their high protein content, eggs are included in the meat, fish, poultry, nuts, and beans group of the US Food Guidance Systems.

Eggs have the highest quality protein in the food supply with the amino acid pattern almost matching the human requirement for essential amino acids (FAO protein value=100).

Digestibility of egg protein is 97%. This means that 97% of the egg protein is absorbed as amino acids, which are available for new protein synthesis and replacement of lost protein.

An interesting fact not known by many is that cooked egg protein is far more digestible than raw egg protein (cooked egg protein digestibility = 90.9%+/-0.8, raw egg protein digestibility = 51.3+/-9.8).

The biological value of egg protein is 94%. Biological value is a measure of the rate at which the protein in food supports growth. Eggs and milk have the highest biological value and provide more amino acids for growth and tissue maintenance than even meat -- including beef, chicken, pork, and fish.

I found a few other sites supporting this info:

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

"The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively. "

I'm sure I could easily find more if I bothered to.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cooking an egg also takes a lot more time, and always, always, without fail, makes my apartment smell like fart for the rest of the day. No thanks.

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Cookware-Nordic_Ware_Microwave_Omelet_Pan

I bought this thing in the grocery store last week and it was the best 3 dollars I've spent :up:

I eat four eggs a day and it takes about 3 minutes in the microwave. I premix a couple days of eggs up in a bowl. Boiled eggs are dense and its hard for me to get them down.

If you need more than four, mixing it in a shake is good.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cooking foods will always degenerate the nutritional value.

i've seen the articles that suggest cooked eggs are more bio-available, but i'm not convinced.