I want to join a band. Bass or Regular?

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I play a little guitar. Real basic stuff, just strumming chords and shizz. I can also play the regular beginners songs like 'nothing else matters' and 'stairway to heaven' etc.
But never got into it enough. I don't really have an ear for music. I can't tune by ear and I can't really play by ear. I'm also not trained in the theory.

So I'm basically asking the musicians out there what instrument will be the quickest and easiest for me to get into a band with. Out of the guitar and bass guitar, so I can start getting lessons and training.

When I was searching craigslist I looks like more people are looking for bass players so maybe that's my answer?

The thing about bass guitar tho, is that it sounds lame when your just playing alone.

So I'm leaning towards an acoustic bass, just because bass seems easier to learn and less people play it so bands are looking.

Thoughts?

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go for bass, and learn guitar on the side, and dont get an acoustic bass. They hardly ever get used.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guitar and bass have the exact same string tunings so essentially by learning one, you will automatically have the knowledge to play the other. The techniques on the other hand are worlds apart and both require extreme discipline to learn properly.

I would say go bass as well (and don't get an acoustic!!!). Guitarists are a dime a dozen but bassists are always in demand. The trick to bass is to learn how to follow both the kick drum and guitar simultaneously so you hold down the rhythm section. Good luck!!

Spectre

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bass can sometimes have a lot of moving with your hand, so if you're not good with solo's on guitar then harder bass lines will be really tough, especially because the frets are larger.

sparkogre

Don Juan
Reaction score
ut never got into it enough. I don't really have an ear for music. I can't tune by ear and I can't really play by ear. I'm also not trained in the theory.
Eff that. NOBODY has an inherent feel for the guitar. Clapton and Hendrix and everybody are great because they PRACTICED AN ASSLOAD. That's it.

Also, you're making excuses and limiting beliefs etc.

Anyways, if you can play guitar, you can play bass. Always.

If you can play bass, you will likely have some trouble with some guitar parts.

But guitarists are a dime a dozen, and bassists are always in demand (just like drummers) because most people don't want to play bass.

Also, if you're playing bass in a band, make sure that your bass lines are more than just playing the root note of the guitarist's chords. Bass can be as easy or as complex as you want.

DO NOT GET AN ACOUSTIC BASS EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER NO NO NO

King Turi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I need a bassist.

Both guitar and bass are great instruments, don't be fooled into thinking bass is a dumb version of the guitar, since it isn't, the both play different roles in a band situation.

It's really up to you and whatever instrument you feel is more "you".

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK OK I'm getting an electric bass! Getting some lessons and I'm gona practice a butt load.

So 5 or 4 strings?? 5 sounds better then 4 IMO.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
4 strings, unless your into "nu-metl."