I want a 6 pack

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im very lean work out 4 times a week with free weights. Over the winter iv neglected my abs. I want a full 6 pack by june/july, top 2 abs already show.

Can some one tell me how i can get a 6 pack as soon as possible. Diet and body fat is good does not need to be changed

Just need a routine that will give me results. IM still going to stick with a split body part routine that im doing at the moment. I just need to know what to add for the 6 pack. Currently I do nothing for my abs.

My training weeks is follows
1.Legs Biceps
2.Chest, Tri
3.Back
4.Legs Shoulders

Im getting great results from this routine and will not be changing it. But i need to add to it.

What would be better adding abs to each training day or adding 2 whole new short days dedicated too abs?

IM willing to do what ever its takes, I just want results, But it does need to work around my current routine.

Thanks

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The fact that you say you are very lean leads me to two conclusion:

1. You have very low muscle mass. Even so, you should still be able see a six pack. In my experience even scrawny guys that are lean can see their abs. Unless you are very thin.
2. You aren't as lean as you think.

Please lay out you full regime, and what you usually eat in a day.

If you want to add ab work, I would add it once or twice a week to the training you are already doing.

What weight/height are you? You could post a pic and blank out the face if you want to give us a better idea of how lean/muscular you are.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diet and body fat is good does not need to be changed

If your calories were low enough, your body fat would eventually drop enough so that you'd have a six-pack without trying.

Or, you could do enough cardio so that you burned off most of your calories, resulting in low body fat, resulting in having abs.

Be warned that both of these ways will sacrifice muscle mass, the first more so than the second, but if you say that you are "lean," then it sounds like you don't mind.

See if this helps:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157517

If you do enough sprints across your backyard, you will have abs; cardio works a lot better than any "ab routine."

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to say that visible abs are minimally a phenomenon of low body fat % and not a consequence of say, working out. Also the amount of abs you have visible seems to be partially due to genetics. For example I had a six pack even when I had 8% body fat (I was very skinny).

If you want a visible six pack just cut fat until you can see them.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can cut down on the leg work and include core work instead. It's easier to see the abs when the muscles are larger. Cut down the BF too.

BTW, with this modification this is a great split. I have to steal it.

Reaction score
I don't actually have a 6-pack, but I've done a lot of reading about it. I am planning making a big push to get in shape.

Anyway, from everything I've read, the ultimate abs exercise is the pull up, not crunches. Do both, but don't only do crunches or think that doing a zillion crunches a day is the best way to get what you're after.

ksmith798

Don Juan
Reaction score
These guys are right, if you want visible abs you have to lose body fat which means consistantly burning more calories in a day than you take in. I've found out personally that it seems nearly impossible, at least for my body type, to do this without losing muscle mass which sucks.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the replys guys but its not really what I asked and looking for. GUys im not here to go on about diet body fat ratio's and the rest of my training.

Just assume Im eating right and doing the right training. Im gettin great gains from what im doing and am not changing it.

I just want to know what to do to increases the size of my abs so they show.I know im trim enough for them to show if they got bigger but not im willing to slim down to get them as I think my body shape in my mind is perfect for me.

JUst tell me

When and where I shoould be doing ab work to increase there size and what exersises will work. Id rather do low rep heavy sets than pump out loads of light weights at this moment in time.

Been thining of doing weighted inclined sit ups e.t.c.

Can someone with experiance tell me what i need to be doing exersise wise?

BTW "the ultimate abs exercise is the pull up" really is this true? Iv been pumping out loads of pull ups lately but no gains to my abs. I do very wide grip pulll ups should this be targetinjg my abs aswell seems strange?

j0n024

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why not try some leg raises with weight?

Planks?

cardio?

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Evolve said:
thanks for the replys guys but its not really what I asked and looking for.
You've been given the correct answers. It's not what you want to hear, that's your problem.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The reason I ask to see your routine is, I am wondering if you squat and deadlift, and whether or not you can squat and deadlift 300/400 at least. Putting 300lbs on your back will give your abs a nice workout.

However if you feel the need you could add in weighted situps/weighted leg raises/rollouts, etc, for 2 or 3 sets of 10-15 reps once or twice a week. Pick one, rotate when they stall. Keep rest periods for these sets to 1-2 minutes, this promotes muscle growth.

As I say though if you can't do 3/4 on the squat and dead and you weigh under 160-170, I wouldn't worry too much about the isolation.