I Think I have an Anger Problem

R

Rubato

I'm not really sure how to address it and change my behavior as far as this goes.

I've noticed that in the context of someone correcting me, telling me I'm wrong (even when I really am), or criticizing (sp) me, I get irationally upset. Particularly with my family. I don't like that. I have never assaulted anyone or broken anything, but I can become irate, to the point of yelling. When I seperate myself from the event that made me mad later, I'll realize I went totally overboard and feel bad about getting so angry and being so disrespectful. I mean, it's becoming ridiculous.

I don't know how to deal with this productively, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My brother is the same way. Just this morning he was yelling at me. He even tried to guilt trip me. Me and my family don't know how to deal with him, sometimes I'm even scared he might hit me in the face, but I do MMA, so I am not afraid.

To deal with anger you need to be able to accept the less pleasant things in life firstly. Secondly you will have to learn to recognize the angry feeling early on and let it go. All you can really do with anger is let it go. Learn to accept disappointment and you won't be as angry.

Now I notice myself feeling anger more lately as well. I believe this is a bad quality to have. Look at this video I saw about Mr. Rogers recently. It really influenced me.

PokerStar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thats good that you recognize it now. itll harm you later down the road.

just a little story im going to tell you guys. i havent really even told my close friends about this one.

after my parents divorce when i was about 15 my dad started to really become very angry. whether or not it had to do with the divorce or maybe my sister and I were growing up becoming adults, who knows?

anyways, about 5 years after the divorce my dad took me out for dinner on my birthday and the subject came up about his anger came up. He said "Pokerstar, I am now going to anger management classes and it has helped me become a better person"

I thought to myself, oh F*CK now you take your anger management classes. what good does it for you, now that your kids have grown up resenting you.

But you know what, at least hes taking the steps into becoming a better person, too bad it was 20 years to late.

So to sum it all up. good that you recognize it now, cause you dont really know how much your anger hurts your loved ones.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it a rage type of anger where you feel like your losing control of yourself?

R

Rubato

EFFORT said:
Is it a rage type of anger where you feel like your losing control of yourself?
I've never felt like I've told lost control before. That's probably why I've never hit anyone or broken anything. As it stands, I just yell. But I get so mad that sometimes I can hardly see straight. I would still say that even though I don't lose complete control, there's a definite rage element there. I get irrational, lose my composure, and lose sight of everything else but the fact that I'm upset. I don't want it to get to the point to where I have to worr about losing control or anything like that. I'm already damaging my relationship with my family. I don't think a good man is the sort of person who who is so insecure and prideful that he flys off the handle whenever he's challenged or corrected. He certainly doesn't lose his composure like I did this afternoon either.

Zodiac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No one likes being wrong man. I am the same way as you. The one thing I did was tell myself

"That's their opinion. Whether is right or wrong they don't know my life story nor do they know the situation leading to my mood at that time. Even if I think otherwise they most likely wont budge in their views and I should shrug this off" and all the while I picture something calming in my mind.

You just have to find something to picture in your mind to help you calm down. Yeah this sounds like the stereotypical psychobabble bs they joke about in movies and whatnot but seriously it works. Helps me calm down from a PTSD fit whenever I have one.

window

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
awareness is the first step, then self control...

Racecar

Don Juan
Reaction score
When you feel upset, preemptively recognize how remorseful you'll be after you've cooled down and thought about the situation carefully. Keep a role model in mind too - how would Jesus/Brosnan/Pook behave in this situation?

If that doesn't work, just think to yourself: "Ooh-la-la!"

Also, you must understand the people who criticize or correct you do so because they care. Especially with family - they always have your best interests at heart. The opposite of love is indifference! Would you prefer they leave you to make the same mistake again?

You're forging yourself into the man of your dreams. It's a never-ending process, so be thankful for those who care enough to help you along the way!

ChalengeGuyFan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a guy where I work who's just that same.
He asks for advice, but if he hears something else than what he expects, he turn pissy. You can see him fuming inside.
Being at work, he controls himself and doesn't scream. However, one time outside of work, but in a similar situation, he started yelling and threatening, lol.

Seriously, this kind of an attitude makes you look like the biggest loser idiot. Don't wonder if people start avoiding you.

But don't worry! There's a very cool treatment called "growing the fvck up"!

Take it from a guy who has to deal with a person like yourself.
Respectfully yours,
me :)

I'm in the Mood

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rubato said:
I'm not really sure how to address it and change my behavior as far as this goes.

I've noticed that in the context of someone correcting me, telling me I'm wrong (even when I really am), or criticizing (sp) me, I get irationally upset. Particularly with my family. I don't like that. I have never assaulted anyone or broken anything, but I can become irate, to the point of yelling. When I seperate myself from the event that made me mad later, I'll realize I went totally overboard and feel bad about getting so angry and being so disrespectful. I mean, it's becoming ridiculous.

I don't know how to deal with this productively, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
Rubato, I have an anger problem too. I get annoyed VERY easily around my family, and people I don't like. I'm also seeing a therapist about this because it has turned into very bad relationships with my parents.

You need to learn where your anger is coming from. You must understand EXACTLY what you're angry at and why you're angry. If you don't understand your anger, you can only suppress it, and even if you do successfully suppress it, it will always be there, lurking in your shadow. It's best to face it head on and learn all about it if you want to be able to conquer your anger in the future.

R

Rubato

I'm in the Mood said:
Rubato, I have an anger problem too. I get annoyed VERY easily around my family, and people I don't like. I'm also seeing a therapist about this because it has turned into very bad relationships with my parents.

You need to learn where your anger is coming from. You must understand EXACTLY what you're angry at and why you're angry. If you don't understand your anger, you can only suppress it, and even if you do successfully suppress it, it will always be there, lurking in your shadow. It's best to face it head on and learn all about it if you want to be able to conquer your anger in the future.
Thank you for the constructive suggestion I'm in the Mood.

I think there are different triggers for my anger but that in many cases, the emotional origination ponit is the same.

Why I get angry:

If I'm really honest with myself, a lot of this probably stems back to my experiences in elementary and high school. I got made fun of/picked on a lot. I was the definition of an AFC. I never had a girlfriend and my "friends" thought I was gay for it and beat me up.

I also noticed while my family pulled out some old home movies around Christmas that I was a really serious kid. People have always told me I'm too smart and analytical for my own good, but I never really saw how that was expressed as a kid. Even at like 3 and 4 years old, I didn't act like a kid. I acted like I was in deep thought about the world around me.

I think what all of this stuff did was put me in a defensive emotional posture. The reasons why I came to the site in the first place derive from my childhood - I sucked with women, I had terrible self esteem, virtually no self confidence, and was super self conscious. I spent my years in school suppressing my anger at the kids around me because they were ruthless. As bad as what having to put up with them was, I know my life would have been worse if I had gotten in a fight and gotten suspended - my parents would have crucified me!

I think it's that defensive posturing I learned that makes me so prone to lash out now whenever I view someone's actions as an affront to myself.

What I'm angry at:

A few things. I think the biggest thing is paradoxically, myself. But firstly, I'm angry at the person correcting me or trying to warn me about a potentially bad decision. I don't like that they don't see me as perfect. And obviously, that's a bad attitude and entirely unrealistic. I was so p*ssed off when I got out of high school though (and driven, as a result) that I wanted to be a United States Senator. I finished up a pre-law degree, got a 175 on my LSAT and accepted to the College of William and Mary's Lawschool in 3 years. I was going to succeed and give the rest of the world the middle finger at the same time because it had obviously failed to see the worth in me. I've driven myself way too hard since high school got out becuase I wanted to be the best.

So while I acknowledge that that is not the best way to conceptualize the world, I can't start to move forward until I've accurately assessed where I am.

Ultimately though, I think I'm angry at myself because I've set a standard too high for myself to achieve and realize that. I'll never be able to go through life absolutely perfectly (and perfect, after all, is boring :D ). I will always have some level of shortcommings and there will always be someone better than me.

I think what I did was sometime when I was younger I made an association between being flawless and people liking me. It ended up working out for the good, but I didn't get serious about music until 7th grade or so, and the only reason I did was because I thought it would make people like me.

So when I get angry, it's projected at other people, but I think I'm ultimatley angry at myself. What they did was remind me that I'm not perfect and the house of card's image I've constructed of the world, at least in this respect, is nothing but a house of cards.

So maybe that's the first thing I need to address. To give myself real permission to be less than perfect, to make mistakes, and to realize that people will still like me even if I mess up occasionaly. But even more important than that, I need to learn to how love myself despite my imperfections. As I learn how to do that, that may make great strides in helping overcome this issue.

mocha2010

Don Juan
Reaction score
Rubato said:

I was dating a guy like this, he annoyed the heck out of me. he was never wrong and he was insulting and disrespectful if you corrected him. Please please go to an anger management course before you end up alone because you cannot keep a proper relationship acting like that and you will be a 40 yr old single bachelor for life.

change11

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get help. Skip the anger management meetings, mostly people who are FORCED to be there (by the court system, divorce court, whatever). Try to understand your anger more, keep an anger journal. Write your thoughts/moods down constantly. Especially when you "blow up". Then a few days later read what you wrote and write a response to yourself. If that doesn't help go see a therapist. Nothing wrong with getting help for yourself.

Allow me to share a story. My father was very emotionally and physically abusive. Typical week night throughout my childhood: Father comes homes screaming and yelling. I'm 9 years old and my sister is about 4. I'm bawling my eyes out because I'm afraid my father is going to hurt me again or worse, hurt my mother or sister. He comes up to me. "Stop crying" *punch* "Stop crying, men don't cry" *punch* "but Dad you're scaring me I can't stop cry..." *punched again, wind gets knocked out of me*.

I'm sure you've had the wind knocked of you from playing sports or rough housing as a kid. It's kind of a scary feeling because you can't breathe. Now imagine you've been bawling your eyes out and it happened. And you also have a grown man standing over you, a guy who could probably kill you. I remember the last time this happened, horrible night. After that night I decided I'd had enough. I didn't see or speak to my father for two years. Spent a lot of time in therapy. Also had mother trying to push her new husband on me, to be my "new dad". Had a few scuffles with the stepdad over the years but nothing severe, but that's a different story.

I firmly believe that....people CAN change, but you cannot MAKE someone change. Today, I can't think of anyone who I'm closer to or trust more then my father. I haven't seen him angry in years, even when I've done dumb **** "hey dad, sorry to wake you at 3am but im reallllllyyyy drunk and need a ride". He went and got help for himself. That's what you may need to do. I struggle with anger too, and I'm actually going to help for it now. My Dad got me to do it.

"Change11, you need to get help. Please, learn from me. I did horrible things to you for years. I lost you for a few years, I've lost your sister forever and I've lost your mother forever. Please Change11, don't let your anger get so out of control that you go through this. Please. If you don't, I assure you that someday down the road you will blow up and do something that will forever change your life or someones around you. Get help!" He is crying as he tells me this.

I guess I'm sharing this because it's what has motivated me to get help with my own anger issues. Take from it what you will, you don't sound like you're nearly that severe but this may be what's coming down the road if you don't take care of yourself.