I have bad credit but I want to buy a car

WillieSacks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a 2006 Dodge Charger for $15,000

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=20

now the problem is that my credit is horrible, a case of bad luck and some ****ty decisions has my credit score just hovering over 500, but things are getting better now, I'm almost done with school and I finally have a good paying job now but I just started the job a month and a half ago but my base salary is 40 k per year plus incentives.

How can I go about convincing someone (a bank) to loan me some money to buy this car and what's the route I can go, also what is the best deal I can get for this car...thanks in advance.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice car! It's very sexy and stylish, just right for a DJ to impress the chicks with.

HOWEVER....It's out of your reach right now. With your credit hovering right around 500, the new job you haven't been at long, spare yourself the humiliation of the loan manager actually laughing at you. You look like crap on paper. The bank doesn't want to hear about your "bad luck". If they do give you a loan, the interest will be SO high, you'll be paying off that car when your too freaking old to drive it.

Besides, insurance on a car like that will probably be more than the payments. Buy an older car (Honda, Toyota?) that's easy on the gas and insurance payments. Not what you wanted to hear, but it's for your own good. This is what you need to do:

*Save up money for another year or so
*Pay off ALL your cards
*Get your credit kicked up a few notches
*Show that your job is a long term career choice.

I know you really, REALLY want that car, but you're going to have to be practical. You can have that car, just not right now. You said you've made a few bad choices in the past, don't make any more.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
He might have a missed payment/banked...so in either case, royally screwed for 8 years.

But yes, pay off cards. Not only is this good practice, but that money is there for another emergency (you sound like you have lots of them). At the same time, think about how you want to save up money for this car. Try shoving ...15000... 300 a month away (to save, but imagine this is your Monthly payment) and figure out whether you can handle that kind of drain on your income. If it's working for you, save up around half...buy the car on a half-price loan (as you put the money you saved towards it). That way, you still have payments (if this is a bank loan, as compared to dealership...beautiful), but they are approx. half price per month.

I plan to start investing in real estate, and all I calculated out to keep myself safe is to save up about 7 months of mortgage. That's about...8 grand when everything is said and done. I plan to profit near immediately after purchase anyways, but it's my backfall. :)

Financial planning is key :up:

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel you man. I want to buy a new motorcycle but can't due to credit. Priorities first.

WillieSacks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a '94 maxima right now that just needs a tune up that I got for 500 from a friend that's getting me around but the problem is that over the past year I had 3 debts go into collections...

Now about that, I've heard 2 things that if you have a debt pay it in full instead of settling for 75% or whatever, the debt collectors say settling and paying in full is the same thing but my buddy, who has bad credit but has a good job now, and just bought a new car said that if you have any debts, pay it in full, don't settle because it's not the same. Can someone clarify this for me. Thanks

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
first of all, sometimes a car can be too cheap.. any 06 charger I can buy for 15,000... when a car dealer can take it to an auction and get 17 all day long, if not a tad more, assuming we are talking about a base model charger.. I would have to pass. One of my good friends is a GSM at a dealership down here, and I know a little bit about the business... something is wrong with that car... a steal is 17500, I mean STEAL... average retail is closer to 20k

how bad is your credit? what's just as important as your credit is how much you make a month. you make $3333 a month base, meaning the banks are going to say you can afford a payment of $533.28 a month (16 percent of income before taxes) for no more than 60 months becuase you have bad credit...

If you can get a grand, you won't have a problem getting in that car. You will be a special finance deal, meaning you will have a high ass interest rate, need Proof of income, proof of residence, but you can get done, and it won't be that hard to be honest...

the problem most people run into is wanting a car but making 1900 a month with no money down.. then you are stuck witha **** car.

the only thnig is, and remember this, you aren't in a negotiating position... your credit is bad.. however don't worry becuase trust me when I say they aren't going to make any money off of you anyway... the App fees, buying down the interest rate to the state max and misc doc fees will eat their profit... don't put more than 1500 down and you will be fine... that's the only way to make money off of special finance customers, a lot of money down.

your credit is bad, pretty bad, but not fatality bad. And don't waste your time trying to get your own financing... go directly to a dealer (seriously)... You will probably have to go though either Regional Finance, CAC (maybe not, your credit isn't that bad) but more than likely drive financial, and these banks can only be gown though with dealers. Once your credit gets above 600 than you can look at places like cap one, americredit, etc.

trust me when I say finance managers won't laugh at you.. they have seen worse, much worse, and you make good money. YOu are a car deal.. more so than you think

Another thing, besides secured credit cards, car loans build credit faster than anything... becuase it has a high credit limit and it's a revolving payment. only buying a house, which for you is totally out of the question.

I was a 520 about a year and a half ago, and could have bought a car cash, but financed a car I wanted just to build credit. Since then I have bought a house, gotten 3 credit cards, and I am getting ready to buy a new car, and I have a 697 beacon.

Insurance on a base model dodge charger is not expensive.. if you were looking at the SRT model iwth the bigger engine then yes.. but dude, it's a 4 door sedan that isn't the fastest thing on earth. It's not a hazzard driving either. Your insurance will be high regardless of what you do until you are 25. I pay about 800 a month for insurance for my three cars, and I haven't gotten a ticket since I was 16, no wrecks.

Here is the thing most people don't understand... unless you a) already bought a house or b) have a co signer with good credit, your first car is going to be more than likely a spi fi deal, even iwth good credit.

People who think just becuase they have a credit card with a 1k limit for a year think they can go and get a 20k loan with no money down and think they are going to have banks fighting over them with better rates have another thing coming.

You got to bite the bullet eventually. And usually buying a car is not that much more expensive than having an older car. My Honda accord (92) was very very realiable, but had one major problem a year always, which usually costed me about 1500-2000 dollars. Well if I have say, a 350 payment.. I am not that far off from just having a car not.. I will pay the extra grand a year and drive something new, under warranty, that I trust to get in and drive across the country.

Actually, and I know you won't hear this anywhere else... from my personal experience... leave the debt alone.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR CREDIT SCORE AND START WORRRING ABOUT YOUR CREDIT.

how about this.. instead of paying off stuff that happened years ago, use that money to make sure your stuff is paid on time NOW.

think about the rationale.. you honestly think paying off old credit cards is going to get you approved for a loan now?

NO

becuase although you have nothing BAD on your credit any longer, you don't have anything gOOD either... get my point?

trust me, if you get a car loan, pay it for a year and don't mess anything else up, get a secured CC for about 500 bucks and pay it on time for a year ,and leave the past in the past, you will be close if not a 600 beacon but a 600 beacon with a 20 something car loan you haven't missed a payment on, and a revolving payment with the credit card... there won't be too much you can't buy at that point.. interest rate will still be high for about another year, but you won't have a problem buying anything

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phoenix_of_the_ashes said:
Jesus man, set some priorities.
For most that's easier said than done. This is why so many people are hugely in debt with horrid interest rates, it's easy to take advantage of people with this mindset.

I'd follow WaterTiger's suggestion and:
  1. Learn about personal finance, especially how credit works.
  2. Learn the benefits of buying a slightly car over a new one.
  3. Look into whether his employer has a credit union that provides personal loans.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
How many miles per month will you be driving this car?

I know a chick that has a short commute to work.

Drives about 300 miles per month total, commute + personal, yet she bought a new car that not only depreciated about 20% the moment she drove it off the dealer lot, but she's also paying about $400.00 per month for it, including insurance.

That's insane.

Do you really need a 15K car?

My Daily Driver is an low mileage, clean 88 BMW 325i Cabrio that I picked up for $2,800

I too have a short commute, and it would be insane for me to spend much more than that.

The last thing you want to do is overextend yourself and further damage your credit needlessly by buying a car that doesn't justify the cost.

And, if you want that or any car to impress chicks with, then you need to do a lot of reading and field work.

I used to have a 99 Corvette Convertible, but couldn't justify keeping it because the cost far outweighed the need.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Never buy a new car...

...unless you either are rich, buy luxury cars, in which case your cars' values appreciate; or unless you intend to sell the car in two years, e.g. you lease a car, but those tend to be high-end cars. So, don't buy a new car unless you're rich.

Otherwise, you're only going to lose money on your investment. A former car salesman told me a new car's value drops somewhere around 40% (or some other ridiculously high amount) the instant you drive it off the lot. In fact, every day I deal with NADA values and how much people owe on it; I seem to never come across anyone who doesn't have at least a mild upside down equity on the vehicle.

Instead, buy a used car.

WillieSacks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
lots of good advice here. Thanks. I think what I'm gonna do is work my job for 3 months to see if that helps out, me working for 90 days and all and I think I'm gonna put about $2000 down on the car. I'm hoping that by next year when they come out with the '07 Chargers, that drops the price of the '06 chargers by a couple of grand.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy it though so hopefully those payments will help me build my credit back up. I calculated my monthly expenses and I should have 700-1000 or more depending on my incentives for the month left over for the car.

...by the way backbreaker, my thought process on why the deal is so good is because the car has over 20,000 miles on it and is used which is completely fine with me as I would take it to get inspected before I buy it. As long as the car has less than 40k in miles on it I'm good, also, why are you against me putting more than $1500 down, when I could possibly do more.

I'm not buying the car to impress girls but Ihad a used 1996 stratus and it seemed like every year and a half I was putting at least a grand into maintaining the car until this past summer when I put a grand into it and it broke down 2 weeks later and needed antehr 1500 to fix. I figure I could use that on a more reliable car. THe stratus had 180000 miles. My current car a 1994 maxima which I got for 500 only has 125000 miles on it.

I make $1800 per month before taxes hourly and 1-4 grand in commission per month so hopefully if they see that for 3 months, I can get a good deal.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
Never buy a new car...

...unless you either are rich, buy luxury cars, in which case your cars' values appreciate; or unless you intend to sell the car in two years, e.g. you lease a car, but those tend to be high-end cars. So, don't buy a new car unless you're rich.

Otherwise, you're only going to lose money on your investment. A former car salesman told me a new car's value drops somewhere around 40% (or some other ridiculously high amount) the instant you drive it off the lot. In fact, every day I deal with NADA values and how much people owe on it; I seem to never come across anyone who doesn't have at least a mild upside down equity on the vehicle.

Instead, buy a used car.

that's bull****.

If you do your rsearch and don't buy a kia rio or a chevy cavlier, the average depreation over 2 years is about 40 percent.. not one year. and thta's the AVERAGE.

A honda accord, toyota camary, Nissan maxima and some others, take forever to depraciate.

On the flip side, try to get out of a Dodge Truck and see what happens.

Don't fill the kids head with bull**** you heard here or heard there. you are altering his life with stuff that isn't even true.

Here is the deal. And this is coming from someone who HAS made it to some extent.

What's the point?

I mean, is saving money that anal, where you will ride around in a car worth 2 grand, that will probably have 2 grand worth of work done a year on it anyway, just to save money?

What's the point of going to school, getting a degree you have worked your whole damn life for, if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labor?

Now don't go out and get a 40k car making 40k a year. But i'll be damned if I went to school for 6 years, that's college, got a degree and I am now making money and I am riding around in a **** car that I don't want.

Yes cars aren't an investment but renting movies, eating junk food, buying an esssive amount of clothes, cell phones, laptops, etc aren't either. Yet people do them.. as a matter of fact, laptops deperaciate faster, WAY faster, then cars. I wish I could trade in my laptop and get 60% of what I paid for it in two years. I just bought it in june and I doubt I could get it now.

As long as I am a) paying myself first, and something worth while and b) own my house, I can spend the rest of the money on crack for all I care, you are an automated millionare.. what you do with the rest of your money that is not being invested and saved you CAN blow...

And this is coming from someone who, before I sold my company and could just buy outright what I wanted, was making close to 100k a year and was driving around a 95 lexus sc300.. not becuase I was trying to save money, because that's the car i wanted at the time. If I would have gotten tired of it and wanted somethign I had to have a payment on, I wouldnt' have had a problem doing it.

(on the car), i mean, if it IS that good, if everything is okay, take it and run. Check for repaint.. have a mechanice look it over.. Car fax only reports damages over 7 grand, soif it had a fender bender it won't show up.

I just don't see it being that good. 20k miles for a year old car isn't murder.. espically a charger that comes with a 70k powertrain warranty.

BTW, I don't think I told anyone this, but I sold cars for a year while starting my company to make ends meet and to learn about sales, so I do know alot about the industry. That car, ****ed all to hell can be taken to an auction and get at least 16-17grand.

And think about this as well... why is the LIST price 15 grand, when the average sales price for that car per kbb (I just booked it) is $20,750. I mean, LISTING it for 18900 and coming off the price a little is still a hell of a deal.

Be warey is all I am saying.. be as thorough as possible.

lol, unless you have the absolut worst credit on earth, don't put down more than 10 percent of the value of the car.

want to know why?

Because that's how we used to rape customers...

let me tell you a funny story.. right before I quite 4 years ago, I was working a deal o na van... and my manager gave me a pencil, it was 389 a month, 0 down... he was holding gross on that.. and I said "no, she has 2500 down", so he takes the paper, sribbles out the 0 and puts 2500 and leaves the payment the same... you had to have been there.. then he said "are you happy now?"... and I closed her at that payment with 500 dollars MORE down.

1500 is enough to make sure you dont' have any negative equality when you trade the car in.. if you want your payment to go down, stretch them out, don't put more money down, and just pay more per month if you can afford it, there is no prepayment penalty for paying the car off early.

the way they caculate income is they take the amount of money you made, divided by how long you have been there. simple as that.

and if you REALLY want my advice, stay away from a charger... they are fad cars. meaning in 2 or 3 years there will be a nother fad car, no one is going to want to buy a 06 charger in 09, and the trade in value is giong to dip horribly... that happened with Beattles for a while.. when I worked in the business beattles were the hot thing.

For 15 grand, me personally, i would be all over an 04 Mazda RX-8. NOw, you won't get one for 15 grand, maybe 17, but it holds it's value, it's fun to drive, and it's hot.

unless you trade something in something you were tanked when you bought it, it's literarly almost impossible to be upside down in a honda or a toyota. They are too damn strong becuase everyone wants a used honda or toyota.

I can honestly say I never saw a customer upside in a toyota and I can only think of one that was upside down in a honda civic, and it wasn't much.. maybe a grand, which isn't much at all.

if I were to spend 15k for a car, I would go older than newer, becuase I get more car

WillieSacks

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
bro, you kinda talking me out of getting this charger. My girlfriends sister actually has an Infiniti I 35 she wants to sell me for $6800. It's so cheap because her bf makes $150k per year profit with his business and wants to get rid of his bemer for an M5 and his girl (who is my girlfriends sister) wants to buy his car so she is willing to sell it to me for that deal. I keep getting lucky on these deals, like I said earlier, my 1994 maxima only cost $500 and that's because my g/f used to babysit some her teachers kids and the husband just happened to play in the major leagues.

THis is not the actual car but it looks almost identical to this car except hers has tinted windows, and if I get it I'm gonna throw those 18 inch custom rims on that bad boy

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=6

I think I wanna do that instead, the only problems with that infiniti is that she was a regional manager and drove around A LOT so the infiniti has about 70k miles and it's an 03 or 04 I think. Also, her ex bf messed up the inner door handle so you have to roll the window down from the passenger side to open the door and also the windshield is cracked (that only costs about 200 to fix so no biggie) and her driver side window squeals when you lower it.

My g/f said she would have her sister fix the door and the squealing window before she sold me the car soe also said that the charger may look better but the infiniti will be more reliable in the long run. Do you agree or no?

I really want to fix my credit so I want to take out a loan RIGHT NOW for about $7500 and start making payments on that so I can fix my credit.

I can actually buy the car in cash in January b/c my job pays for my college and I can take out up to 7500 at the college I go to but I would rather take out an auto loan and make payments and then try to get a cc and make payments on that.

The reason why I'm backing away from the charger is b/c I've heard people say that foreign cars are way more reliable, the charger is a fad car, even though the infiniti has problems, its' still a better deal than the charger and the infiniti has no dents or dings (It looks nice), and also from what you are saying in your posts...AND $7000 will be easier for me to pay back than $15-20k and the cheaper car may be a better car.

Now I just need to find someone (a bank) to loan me $7500 even though I've only been working at my job for about 1.5 months. You have any advice?

p.s I always thought the more money you put down, the less you have to pay for the car that was my reasoning for putting down as much money as I could.

Last edited:

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Infinity is hot

Now backbreaker dude, are you doing crack right before you post cause it is hard to read all that ;)

New card to depreciate rapidly - you showed the numbers yourself. Do I want to lose 5k over 2 years or do I want to make the other guy lose his 5k so I pay close to true value?

STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR CREDIT SCORE AND START WORRRING ABOUT YOUR CREDIT.
I don't get this. You mean pay off your debts and stop worrying what score you have?

So Ok, Say I want to buy a car, besides buying it all for cash the best option is to NOT put any money down?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WillieSacks said:
bro, you kinda talking me out of getting this charger. My girlfriends sister actually has an Infiniti I 35 she wants to sell me for $6800. It's so cheap because her bf makes $150k per year profit with his business and wants to get rid of his bemer for an M5 and his girl (who is my girlfriends sister) wants to buy his car so she is willing to sell it to me for that deal. I keep getting lucky on these deals, like I said earlier, my 1994 maxima only cost $500 and that's because my g/f used to babysit some her teachers kids and the husband just happened to play in the major leagues.

THis is not the actual car but it looks almost identical to this car except hers has tinted windows, and if I get it I'm gonna throw those 18 inch custom rims on that bad boy

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=6

I think I wanna do that instead, the only problems with that infiniti is that she was a regional manager and drove around A LOT so the infiniti has about 70k miles and it's an 03 or 04 I think. Also, her ex bf messed up the inner door handle so you have to roll the window down from the passenger side to open the door and also the windshield is cracked (that only costs about 200 to fix so no biggie) and her driver side window squeals when you lower it.

My g/f said she would have her sister fix the door and the squealing window before she sold me the car soe also said that the charger may look better but the infiniti will be more reliable in the long run. Do you agree or no?

I really want to fix my credit so I want to take out a loan RIGHT NOW for about $7500 and start making payments on that so I can fix my credit.

I can actually buy the car in cash in January b/c my job pays for my college and I can take out up to 7500 at the college I go to but I would rather take out an auto loan and make payments and then try to get a cc and make payments on that.

The reason why I'm backing away from the charger is b/c I've heard people say that foreign cars are way more reliable, the charger is a fad car, even though the infiniti has problems, its' still a better deal than the charger and the infiniti has no dents or dings (It looks nice), and also from what you are saying in your posts...AND $7000 will be easier for me to pay back than $15-20k and the cheaper car may be a better car.

Now I just need to find someone (a bank) to loan me $7500 even though I've only been working at my job for about 1.5 months. You have any advice?

p.s I always thought the more money you put down, the less you have to pay for the car that was my reasoning for putting down as much money as I could.
the infiniti is not an 04, it's an 02 at best, that's the last year they made the I35.. I know what it is, I sold my dad one. The store I worked at was a Mazda/Infiniti store so I know the product.

don't get one yet. The maintence for infiniti's are sky high and you have one without a warranty. The milage doesn't scare me on that, it's a nissan and they will run forever. But the maintence is more than a normal car.

If I were you I would be looking at a Mazda. Mazda's are made for people like you. young, but want something sporty and somewhat out there.

But if you take the infiniti, it's not a horrible decision, I just wouldn't do it.

Well you are right in some extent, the more you put down the more your payment is supposed to drop yes, but unless you have a compound loan caculator with you when negotationg, you hvae no idea if what they are saying adds up. You don't know if 2500 down at 380 a month for 75 months is a good deal on a 22 thousand dollar car or not (It's not the worst deal ever, but at a sales person I would have made my day... about 800 bucks in my pocket assuming they have decent credit and depending on how much markup the car has, I am going off your average mazda)

you won't be able to finance the infiniti becuase of miles. Banks are going to look at you like they know your car is going to be in a situtation where it will be repoed because of your bad credit.. you can't resale a car with that high in miles, so they wont' give you the loan. Here is what you are going to end up with if you get a loan, which I STRONGLY recommend you to do get your credit back on par.

No older than 3 years old
No more than 50 thousand miles
the loan cannot exeed 125 LTV

in your case, now that I think about it, I would put more than 10 percent down, and this is the ONLY execption.... I would put no more than 2500 down... better yet, if you get serious, go to the dealership, get the stipulations for the approval and what bank they are going with and what teir you fall into and I will tell you exactly how much to put down. LIke with drive financial, you would more than likely be a Solution H, which required a 3500 app fee... I would tell you to put down 2 grand, enough to where you can get the car and they can use the rest of their profit in the car to pay the rest of the fees.

this is what i mean by stop worrying about your credit score and worry about your creidt.

My credit SCORE is about a 680 Transunion. with that score, there isn't too much I can't buy.. wont' get the BEST intrest rate possible, but I won't get my head knocked off either.

But I have what we call a STRONG 680. I have the deed to my house. I have a paid off auto loan, I have 3 credit cards, one with a high of 30k, all paid perfectly.

Compare that against someone who has say, a 720.. they have haid their car for a year and have been paying on it and haven't skipped a beat. They rent their house and have a credit card with a high of 2k.

I would get picked up faster, witha lower intrest rate (home equaity loan non withstanding) than the person with the 720.

I sold someone a car, with 500 bucks down that had a 459 before.. no bull. The only bill they paid on time was their mazda american credit account, for about 7 years.. the only bank that would pick them up was mazda, so they had to get a mazda, but they got a car with bad credit.

Banks for the most part don't give a **** what your score is, at least auto lenders.. they look at the lines of credit you have.

what I am getting at is, get a car, pay your bills on time, and you will be fine. KNOW your credit score, but don't dwell on it.

I know cars depricate.. what I am saying is, don't be a hypocrite.. let's apply that to every aspect of life if you are going to go that route.. get rid of your computer because it depricates too fast. Let's stop eating out becuase it has no long term value. See where i am going?

I would never buy a car without putting 10% down. From my experience, tha'ts the best route. Two reasons.. first of all, I fI can't put 10% of a car down, i don't need that car. When working a deal I would always ask for 20% and tell them the least I could do is 10% and if they couldn't put 10% down, we are on the wrong car.. NOw if I got the honest feeling they COULD but didn't want to becuase of whatever, than that's fine

secondly, any deprication factor assuming you are going foreign, is wipped out.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WillieSacks said:

the infiniti is not an 04, it's an 02 at best, that's the last year they made the I35.. I know what it is, I sold my dad one. The store I worked at was a Mazda/Infiniti store so I know the product.

don't get one yet. The maintence for infiniti's are sky high and you have one without a warranty. The milage doesn't scare me on that, it's a nissan and they will run forever. But the maintence is more than a normal car.

If I were you I would be looking at a Mazda. Mazda's are made for people like you. young, but want something sporty and somewhat out there.

But if you take the infiniti, it's not a horrible decision, I just wouldn't do it.

Well you are right in some extent, the more you put down the more your payment is supposed to drop yes, but unless you have a compound loan caculator with you when negotationg, you hvae no idea if what they are saying adds up. You don't know if 2500 down at 380 a month for 75 months is a good deal on a 22 thousand dollar car or not (It's not the worst deal ever, but at a sales person I would have made my day... about 800 bucks in my pocket assuming they have decent credit and depending on how much markup the car has, I am going off your average mazda)

you won't be able to finance the infiniti becuase of miles. Banks are going to look at you like they know your car is going to be in a situtation where it will be repoed because of your bad credit.. you can't resale a car with that high in miles, so they wont' give you the loan. Here is what you are going to end up with if you get a loan, which I STRONGLY recommend you to do get your credit back on par.

No older than 3 years old
No more than 50 thousand miles
the loan cannot exeed 125 LTV

in your case, now that I think about it, I would put more than 10 percent down, and this is the ONLY execption.... I would put no more than 2500 down... better yet, if you get serious, go to the dealership, get the stipulations for the approval and what bank they are going with and what teir you fall into and I will tell you exactly how much to put down. LIke with drive financial, you would more than likely be a Solution H, which required a 3500 app fee... I would tell you to put down 2 grand, enough to where you can get the car and they can use the rest of their profit in the car to pay the rest of the fees.

this is what i mean by stop worrying about your credit score and worry about your creidt.

My credit SCORE is about a 680 Transunion. with that score, there isn't too much I can't buy.. wont' get the BEST intrest rate possible, but I won't get my head knocked off either.

But I have what we call a STRONG 680. I have the deed to my house. I have a paid off auto loan, I have 3 credit cards, one with a high of 30k, all paid perfectly.

Compare that against someone who has say, a 720.. they have haid their car for a year and have been paying on it and haven't skipped a beat. They rent their house and have a credit card with a high of 2k.

I would get picked up faster, witha lower intrest rate (home equaity loan non withstanding) than the person with the 720.

I sold someone a car, with 500 bucks down that had a 459 before.. no bull. The only bill they paid on time was their mazda american credit account, for about 7 years.. the only bank that would pick them up was mazda, so they had to get a mazda, but they got a car with bad credit.

Banks for the most part don't give a **** what your score is, at least auto lenders.. they look at the lines of credit you have.

what I am getting at is, get a car, pay your bills on time, and you will be fine. KNOW your credit score, but don't dwell on it.

I know cars depricate.. what I am saying is, don't be a hypocrite.. let's apply that to every aspect of life if you are going to go that route.. get rid of your computer because it depricates too fast. Let's stop eating out becuase it has no long term value. See where i am going?

I would never buy a car without putting 10% down. From my experience, tha'ts the best route. Two reasons.. first of all, I fI can't put 10% of a car down, i don't need that car. When working a deal I would always ask for 20% and tell them the least I could do is 10% and if they couldn't put 10% down, we are on the wrong car.. NOw if I got the honest feeling they COULD but didn't want to becuase of whatever, than that's fine

secondly, any deprication factor assuming you are going foreign, is wipped out.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Paying cash money on a vehicle is not a good choice at all, IMO. I've never put a cent down on a car--the minute you exit the parking lot, you lose the money you paid down. Why watch your money dissapear into thin air? Remember that vehicles "depreciate" (which means cars are vastly overpriced to begin with) the moment you purchase them.

I have laughed at many car dealers who assumed I would down-pay cash for a car.

If you want the car now, you can get it...just get a co-signer. But, don't spend cash...none, zip, nada.

Here's what you do:

1. Next September, buy a piece of junk car (i.e. $500 or less).

2. Visit your local car dealer and DO NOT reveal you have a trade-in item UNTIL YOU NEGOTIATE THE NEW CAR SELL PRICE FIRST!! The car salesman will ask if you have a trade, and you will smile politely, as if the car dealer insulted you, and say, "At this point, we're not going to discuss that." You have to be a d1ck...remember: car dealers are corrupt. Automobiles depreciate because the car dealers jack the price up to an exorbitant amount and try to make you pick up the slack. So make the dealer work for the sale. After all, he's making a ton of money off you.

3. When the dealer makes his third offer (you decline the first two offers), say, "Oh, I have a trade in." (Watch his face turn red! LOL) INSIST ON A $1000.00 trade in value for your recently purchased $500.00 or less vehicle. Tell the dealer the car has sentimental value. If he refuses, walk out and proceed to the next dealer.

Now, keep in mind this strategy works if you have good credit or if you have someone sign for you with good credit. You can make a car dealer be your biatch for a few hours if you do what I say.

WRONG WRONG WRONG

The point isn't deprication. Even Bentley's Depreciate.

The point is, lets say in 3 years you want something else, you see a hot new car that you want to get in.

You don't want to be in a position that you owe more money on your car than it's worth.

Assume that matters to you, that's why I advice putitng 10% down. This is coming from someone who sold cars for a year, probably sold close to 150-200 in all.

Yes with great credit, you don't need a penny down, and depending on your interest rate, you might have a point. But interest rates are so high now compared to when I was in the business.. then a HIGH rate was 6 percent, now a great rate is 7.5 which means you are financing more money

first of all, your "tactic" wouldn't work, becuase if you have a 500 dollar trade, I can show you a grand for it, but in reality give you 1 buck for it.. which we did ALL the time.

that's what I am trying to get it. stop trying to otusmart people who do this for a living, that's where people waste time at, they make **** harder than it has to be. It's actually cute. I used to sell 15 cars a month on average.. you bought a car every 4 years, yet you were going to try to outsmart me.

if you came in and tried that "I have a trade" bullcrap at the end of the deal, it would depend on the deal. if it was a headringer, I wouldn't have a problem with it, I would hold back on it anyway, which wouldn't be hard becuase you made a 4-5 pound deal anyway, I doubt holding a couple of hundred dollars back on a trade would be a problem.

As a matter of fact I would be saying "oh, I can make some MORE money" (note, say you car is worth 5 grand, I give you 3 grand, there is a difference of 2, and the salesperson pockets 30 percent, so 600 bucks)

If I wasn't making any money, I would throw you out. I have before, becuase first of all you aren't respecting my job or my time. You are treating it like a game. I don't mind taking short money on a car, if you come in, it's not that much hassle and you know what you want... but the *******s who think it's a game, that come in and tell you they want this and this for 200 a month, make it happen, knowing they really have a budget of 350 a month and know that's what it really is going to take but want to see how much they can get off...

hence what we call in the business a "guerrilla pencil".. a pencil is when someone is actually working numbers on a car deal.. I would go to the sales tower and tell my manager to pencil this deal.

The first pencil, assuming you have decent to great credit, is always a head knocker. let's say you were looking at a 20k car and you had a trade honestly worth 3 thousand dollars.

The price of the car, if it was used, would be 23,995, the trade value would be 1500 if you were lucky, we would ask for 30 percent down, and your payment would be 500-510 a month.

Most sales people hate these pencils because they scare the **** out of customers. No one ever signs these... you might get one a month that will look at it and say "humm.... if I put 7000 down instead of 5000 down, what will that do to my payments" (while you are having an orgasm realizing how much money you are about to make).

speaking of, want to know a surefire way if you got ****ed or not? If this ever happens to you, EVER, say at that moment, I won't buy this car unless you drop the payment 40 bucks a month.

You get the paperwork done with the salesman and you step into the finance office and they tell you one of two things...

"Sir, I have great news for you, I was able to get a better interest rate and we knocked your payment down 40 bucks a month" (or somewhere around that... at least 20 dollars a month"

or

"Okay, all of these insurance options are already included in the price, Gap, full extended car warranty, tire car, **** shine, babysitting services, etc (you get the point)

RUN

This is what happened. They made so much money off of you, the bank wouldnt finance it all. In the last instance, they added everything they could to the deal they possibly could, becuase if the car itself is just 23k, and you agreed to pay 450 for 84 months, that's closer to 28-30k, and they load the back end of the deal with extras..

you know you got ****ed if you both happens, which I have had happen before. I sold car and the payments were 84 months, 2500 down, 440 a month, and both the husband and wife had 800 beacons... and they had two trades we held 2 grand back on each. Their payment dropped to like 370 with every possibly warranty you could imagine.. I think we made 16grand off that deal front and back.. I pocked 3500.

the stories I could tell you.
that's how my company got alot of it's startup capital, and how I learned how to really sell computers.

back to the trade value thingy you were trying to pull. just becuase I SHOW you 1k for the trade, doesn't mean you are getting 1k for the trade. I always made it a note to overvalue the trade on paper so I can always, worst case, fall back on the "well, who else is going to give you 4 grand for this car that you even said might be worth 1 thousand dollars".. and what could they say? They knew I was right

Want to know how to get a good deal.

This is all you have to do. Buy two NADA books (whcih is what all salespeople use, not Kelly blue book and not edmunds). Assuming you want a preowned car, find out what condition your car is honestly in, rough or clean, it won't be excellent no matter what it is. Find out what a car normally retails for.

Go to a dealer, test drive the car. if you like it, take a pecie of paper, tell him this is what you want to pay for the car (1500 back of retail), this is what I want for my trade, this is what my interest rate should be which should leave my payments here.

One pencil. I got one of thoose a month,a nd the deal wouldn't take 5 mintues. My manager would say 'what in the hell are you waiting for, write it up"

knwoing what you are buying takes care of 95% of all problems.

last thing on credit.. when I fixed my credit, and I got this from the car business.. I just left everything on my credit where it was, fixing it wasnt going to do that much good. I just focused on the now and the future.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This thread is rapidly convincing me to never buy a care from the dealership again.

Thank god for carsoup and autotrader.com

Go to a dealer, test drive the car. if you like it, take a pecie of paper, tell him this is what you want to pay for the car (1500 back of retail), this is what I want for my trade, this is what my interest rate should be which should leave my payments here.
So ok i look at NADA to see what my car is worth, but how do I know what the % should be and what payments should be, just use the calculator? What if i go with even lower numbers, what kind of rebuttals do you have to try and up the numbers?

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
go to download.com and download lot wizard, you can type in the the financed amount, the monthly payment and the term and it will give you the payment a month

that's why if you treat a customer good, you will be set for life. it's hard to find a good salesman that is in it for the long haul.
alot of salesmen have bad stimgas... =

if you are that worried about it, buy a new car. most new car salesman are just order takers.. if you want a real salesman, go to a used car lot. you can walk over most new car salesman