i got a compliment at the gym, big motivator

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So im working out, with a friend, and this big dude (muscled) walks up and hes like "hey man ive noticed the weight your lifting and for your frame and build that is very impressive so keep at it". I gotta say a simple compliment like that just gets you going and makes you wanna work out more.

Im 162lbs 5 7.5' and 8.5% body fat. 3 months ago i was at 143 pounds and 15% body fat.

I'm just saying that everyone KEEP AT IT and don't give up.

No.

Don Juan
Reaction score
That's great to hear. I reckon hearing something like that would keep me keen too!

You've gained like 20 pounds and dropped over 6% bodyfat in 3 months? Tell me your secrets!

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At least they asked about your diet, instead of "How much do you bench?"

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't really have a secret on how i did it, i was surprised myself.

during the time i gained my weight i worked out twice a day, in class at high school and then after work i went to the gym around 9:30 to 11:00-11:30. I lifted weights 4 outa 7 days, and then i played basketball heavily for 2-3 hours on saturdays/sundays.

My diet consisted of NO fast food, no pop, no candy bars basically no good tasting things.

I am Russian so my mother makes a lot of healthy food. chicken soup is my favorite!!!

to be honest, if i would have a reason for how i gained 20 pounds and lost 7% body fat i would say it was being motivated to change.

back in September my girlfriend at the time dumped me, she gave me her reasons and just walked away. I have to say, during that part of my life I felt worthless,weak, and unsatisfied with my life. The break up really took a big hit on me, i was very attached to this girl and i was very stupid to do so but of coarse i wouldn't change the past if i could. I picked up an extra day at work so in order to earn money for the gym and decided to join, in fact i just walked into LA fitness and told them "set me up with a membership, i want to know the various activities you offer and how i can improve myself". Right off the bat i signed the contract with 100 $ off registration fee's and went to work. In my mind i just kept thinking that the more i lift the bigger i get the more she will regret dumping me. thats exactly it, i started working out in order to make my ex girlfriend feel bad about her decision. A month into the work out i started receiving compliments at school, girls would look at me smile and keep walking, eye contact was all over the place, there was a time when a girl was talking to me she had to go so she just put her hand on my bicep and said call me later, she squeezed my bicep and said "wow". Compliments kept me going. I would strive to lift more then I can, at the school class i lifted light weights not too tough, but at the gym i would load myself with weights always everyday pushing 5 pounds more. I think believing in myself that i can push more weights and never setting down for a certain amount of weight allowed my body to develop itself.

Motivation is a big factor in getting bigger, not just saying i want to get big, but going to the gym and seeing Yourself bigger in the mirror, feeling bigger. It sounds cheesy but no matter how much bigger i got even if it was being able to see a little definition in my bicep i got ****y and happy.

I have a friend who is embarrassed that he is small, he doesn't like people looking at him while he benches light weights because he cant bench heavier weights. that is not the attitude you should have.

Everything I wrote up above contained my own bias, there are alot of factors in gaining weight and losing body fat, for me motivation was major.

Find out what makes you stronger inside and focus on it, stop looking at those big guys with eyes of amazement on how large their muscles are and look at yourself. Its amazing what a compliment can do. Don't be afraid to give them also.

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Come on now,the best compliment you can receive are the stares from women when you wear the wife beaters.:rockon:

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
unfortunately i don't wear wife beaters, just wear some american eagle small shirts that make chest look good and biceps look nice. haha

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: <---funny smiley

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's awesome man.

I get those compliments now too, and I must say that they are the only reason I hit the gym on those days where you really don't feel like going.

143 to 162 lbs and 15%bf to 8.5%bf are amazing numbers, keep up the hard work mate.

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The best compliment i got was about 2 months ago.

I was in a bar on a stag night, I hadn't been to this bar or hung with these people for a good 18 months. I was stood next to the pool table and this chick i've known since I was about 17 rolled over who's about 10 years older and knows my mum, started talking to the people I was with.

I saw her kept looking at me, but i thought it was because she hasn't seen me around for a while. Then she said

"You know what i used to know this little boy called onyx, blah blahs son who looked so skinny, and now he looks so beefy and masculine"

I was like yo you talking about me..she like "yeh you been working out?"

always good when people notice, but its also weird finding out how people used to think of you.

BluEyes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by onyx
always good when people notice, but its also weird finding out how people used to think of you.
Word.

It's really annoying when guys and girls that have always known you come out of nowhere and say **** like "you were such a dweeb before", "you were so weird" , "youve changed so much" , "girls used to think you were a weiner" , "you were such a small chump"

Haha, I've gotten all of those and more. They think that since you've changed that you won't take offense to it. It's one of those backhanded compliments, pretty annoying I find.

But whatever, there's a price to getting muscular, and it's small. So it's all good.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
yea i agree, those little irritable comments on how bad you were before are annoying. But hey, those reasons are why you started to work out and improve yourself. Its sad to see how this society BS's about personality and qualities of a person (they do matter, but not as much as they are praised) when in reality much of it is just our outer appearance. haha.

Ima keep at it.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i go around old friends and they 'make fun' of me that i'm lifting.

i didn't even tell them i lifted weights. so i'm glad it's so obvious to them and that they feel the need to tease me about it.

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
they tease because their body isn't as developed most likely, my fat friend says its pointless if i lift weights and exercise, he doesn't see the reason in doing it, ....wonder why hes fat.

1 night ago i got snowed in at a friends house, and her exchange student was just feeling my bicep while i was drinking tea, the she said with a japanese accent

"doo you have six pawk"?, and put her hand on my stomach. I laughed alittle and spilled some tea on myself, ahha.

but hey she noticed.

bigWill

Don Juan
Reaction score
Compliments definitely keep me motivated.

I was getting a little shapely after summer so I started a new exercise program in September.

By November I had two of my female friends touching my chest and one girl even paid me to take off my shirt.

My other female friend also told me on New Years that my arms looked huge.

It's funny, because I still don't think I've made significant progress; it's just going to keep getting better! Can't wait till summer.

5'8.5 , 155 lbs

blinkwatt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bigWill said:
It's funny, because I still don't think I've made significant progress; it's just going to keep getting better! Can't wait till summer.

5'8.5 , 155 lbs
Do you have any pics of your body at your current weight? I bounce around from the high 140s & low 150 so I wonder what a couple extra pounds more of muscle at my height, 5 8" looks like.

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is amazing that we always feel like we are not at the point where we want to be with lifting. I know a dude who is 230 and he thinks he wants to be bigger.

Myself, I think I am still very far away, even with the consistent compliments.

insidious

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:cool: LOL

Good for you guys, it's good to hear positive, encouraging feedback like this.

Me? I get squat.
I've gone from 5'6", 130lbs to 150 lbs and my body shape has noticeably muscled up. I don't get any compliments though, just begrudging comments from some women I know, like "I dreamt you were taking steroids, was it just a dream...?" and comments about my man-tits (no such thing, but my pecs have blossomed.)

But hey, I'm not going through this grueling weight program for anyone but myself but it would be nice to get a compliment occassionally. Sorry, just sour grapes haha

THE_ADDMAN

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
good for u man, :)

be proud of urself and keep at it!

I dont get many compliments at the gym, but do occasionally get some around the college or town.

as insidious said, sometimes sour grapes. sometimes the big guys try to make references to me being feminine. even though I'm quite the opposite.

some big guys can be the most insecure haha

musclyjerk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Women can be very sour if they think you don't find them attractive - but they find you attractive.

I've had them scream at me just for not paying them any interest 'in that way'. "Oh you think you're so good!". One nearly became violent - what a drunk idiot she was, she even tried to get some guys on her side and try to convince them I did something to her. I convinced them not to get involved quickly enough.

Any reaction from a woman when it comes to your 'sexy' physique (as that's what it is.. hot and sexy) can ONLY be taken as a positive. They like it, and if they're sour it's because they know (or think) you don't like them in my opinion.

The Muscly Jerk

Zaraza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I like that musclyjerk,

i agree with your statement, haha, its so true, they love you but they hate to love you. the gym works wonders... a friends mom said to her "I couldnt see what you liekd in him last year, but now i see hes got a great personality and he is funny". The catch is i didnt work out last year, i havnt changed except for my body structure... shows how women are shallow but try to hide it.

personality....yea right its all bull****, they love us they want us and its true!

The more you are happy with yourself and the better your shape is, the more respect you automatically extract from people. thats it