I Can't Stand Mediocrity

rakishness

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know about any of you guys...but I HATE MEDIOCRITY. I hate the feeling of not doing ones best... of not reaching your full potential. Mediocrity is also a state of mind. And it is extremely INFECTIOUS. To me MEDIOCRITY is a DISEASE.

Being mediocre or having a mediocre mind doesn't mean..being a garbage man or wanting to have an average job. If that is what you truly want then you are not mediocre. To me... being mediocre is about having LIMITING beliefs. It's about not believing in yourself. It's about accepting a NEGATIVE situation and not having the GUTS to change it...due to your LIMITING beliefs. If your main goal is to have a regular job and live a regular life and you achieve this....then you are by no means mediocre. But...when you ACTUALLY don't want these things and just ACCEPT them because you think you can't do any better.....your are SUCCUMBING to MEDIOCRITY.

You know why? Because you are listening to other people who don't know sh!t!! And want you to live the same crappy lives that they lead. These people don't want to see you advance. They may claim to be REALISTS....but what they really are....are LOSERS. Look at all the great civilizations and inventors that have come throughout history. Do you think the Ancient Greeks were REALISTS? or the the Egyptians? These people who built great structures with primitive tools and no computers. Do you think Alexander the Great was a realist? Conquering the greatest empire of the day...while being VASTLY outnumbered.

You see.... the people who have accomplished great things throughout history were the people that took the word IMPOSSIBLE out of their vocabulary.

So please....don't listen to these MEDIOCRE individuals(*cough*God of getting PLAYED) that surround us and try to bring us down. They want us to join them in their lives of MEDIOCRITY. I honestly believe that most of the people that come to this board come here because deep down we want the BEST.

Last edited:

just so suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
words of wisdom...

this is a motivational thread, dont settle for second best guys ;)

"Zee Germans"

Don Juan
Reaction score
rakishness, this is an excellent post, a fvcking fantastic post.

Mediocrity IS a disease, it stops the advancement of society and furthermore, it cripples individuals. If you've read anything about Tocqueville and 'Mild Despotism' you'll understand, just look up Mild Despotism on Google. Your post fits in perfectly with it although you're examining it on more of a personal level.

You're right, if it wasn't for the great experimenters and the explorers (the 'bright stars') our race would be fvcked. I completely forget who it was who said the Earth was NOT flat (Christopher Columbus?) but the ill educated around him berated him for this theory and that is what society does to the potential 'Bright Stars' in our own time by saying:

'Different is wrong'
'If you're different then you're weird"

I say let them have their social labels. Let them have their hollow collectives.
People are afraid to shine and be different because they're afraid they'll be drowned in this sea of mediocrity.
The nay sayers are usually unimaginative people who drag you down with their own insecurity and fear of the unknown. It's similar to these Christian Conservative fvcks ( and other groups) who demonize stem cell research, research that could save innumerable lives in return for necessary sacrifices.

We are beings with unlimited imagination trapped in limited bodies and only by exploring and testing the unknown can we ever find the tools to achieve what we imagine. You will not find these tools at status quo.

"1500 years ago we KNEW the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years go we KNEW the Earth was flat. Imagine what you will know tomorrow"
K - MiB

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
:up: Good post/rant, one thing though; I'd consider not calling them "mediocre individuals." Exactly just how individualistic are these people in their mediocrity? They're usually parroting the perceptions of the masses, their premise is anything but individual. The majority of their justifications are supported just because it is believed by the masses, not necessarily because it is true. Needless to say they are fun to watch when you know that there is another way. ;)

Holland

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WORD! :rockon:

That's why it's much better to keep your major goals confidential. Before you know it you'll end up in an argument with some of those 'realistic' tools, with you wanting to leave and them wanting to be right.

It's interesting because they think they are so realistic. But if you get a much deeper perspective on reality you realise that you are much more realistic than they can imagine. Off course, it's better not to tell them that and just let 'em waffling around like Francisco said.
Most people just don't speak that transcending kind of language, so it's better not to talk to them in that way.
Just say: "Thanks for the advice.", "I might consider that." and then let all the bull.. go right out of the other ear when one of them decides to start a self-limiting neurotic rant talk on you.

Don't let the sheep influence you. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Myriad By Python

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good posts. At the same time, I want you all to recognize the difference between striving to improve yourself, and just trying to be something you're not.

At the same time that I am making myself improve at my social skills every day, I also am making sure to be average and obvious. This post explains it really well.

http://www.nightlifeserenade.com/?p=54

Why being average and obvious is a good idea.

rakishness

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
They're usually parroting the perceptions of the masses, their premise is anything but individual. The majority of their justifications are supported just because it is believed by the masses, not necessarily because it is true.
Exactly!

And I hear what the rest of you guys are saying about letting the fools just talk. But...It's hard to not step in and say something when they start ranting about their limiting beliefs. Especially since MEDIOCRITY is CONTAGIOUS. It's sad to see others be brought down.

"Zee Germans"

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's why democracy is flawed.

The majority is never always right. Don't forget it was majority voting that got the fvcking Nazis in power.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zee Germans said:
...The majority is never always right...
I had to think about this statement for a bit. It's hard to imagine that the majority is never always right. Of course neither is the minority but it may explain why there is so much blind faith in the ideals held by the majority (whomever that may be).

It's as if sustaining that blind faith is the main objective of the majority. It's as if that blind faith is their life's blood; without it, they cease to exist. It's a wonder what could happen if they redirected their fervor toward what works instead of what they believe is right. I bet we would have better relationships, happier families, more self sufficiency... Eh, it'll never catch on...