How to wake up with passion?

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've come to the realization that I'm a boring guy. I just wake up and have no passion for life, just going over the same day after day after day with nothing changing. I'm NOT depressed - I just don't feel alive, if that makes sense. I guess it's just an apathetic feel towards waking up.

I've just been a normal person working, going to class and the gym, then drinking of Friday nights and thats it. That describes the 05-06 year of school for me. I just don't know what to do next. Hit on girls all the time? Getting a girlfriend or some sex isn't the answer to our problems. I have some hobbies; working out, reading, pool. I gave up that idiot box named TV after I realized what I was wasting my time doing. How do I make life so good that I get excited about waking up in the morning?

Keeper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not your life, it's your attitude to life that gives you the moring "umph!". Just work on loving youself, and loving everything about your life. If you love it, you won't be able to wait till you can start it in the morning. :)

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try laughing the first minute you wake up. I read this tip in a Señor Fingers thread. He said at first it seemed lame, but then he became MORE hilarious and witty through-out the day. I just started this week and already I start out the day with FUN and UPBEAT attitude.

Make sure you're getting 7-8 hours sleep as well. If you're depressed at the present, then maybe you need to start planning some long-term goals. What do you PLAN to do once you graduate? Sounds like you could FOCUS on career development. Also, read any Pook thread for inspiration. I always get REFIRED for life after reading one of his threads on here.

It's good that you have hobbies that get you OUT of the house, but EVEN better if you're constantly approaching girls or working on your social skills in the field. Have you done the DJ Boot Camp or read the Bible? Those are two EXCELLENT places to jump start your passion.

This week I got rid of a TON of old cds, books, video games, junk in my room and I now feel a lot more free (another Señor Fingers idea).

eggnogdog

Reaction score
"Try laughing the first minute you wake up."

This suggestion rocks, though I wouldn't take it literally, I would definitely try to embody upbeatness as soon as your social day begins. I used to have really slow mornings where I felt unfunny and generally tired. Recently, I started being aggressive in initiating conversations, not that I fear them, just that early in the morning I don't want to have my head up, let alone talk. I find that once I've been conversational, my day is instantly better and I feel more energetic.

tobby

Don Juan
Reaction score
I went through some of the things that you went through. (If i'm right you probably don't like the answers that you're getting. :) I got through this by making a lot of short-term goals. Basically I think about nothing else except getting through the week or the next day. (My state got pretty bad at times.)

You may also have to take some time to re-evaluate yourself. That may come through a variety of things: a vacation, religion, hanging out with your friends or talking with another person, and sometimes girls.

I'm not going to say that girls solve your problem; you talked about this already so I don't need to divulge into it. Sometimes hanging out with another person helps to take your mind off the boredom. (I think that's what some people get sometimes.)

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wake up do some jogging with some comedy central...awesome

fanren

Don Juan
Reaction score
set some goals
eg: since you workout try to set a new personal record on the squat or something

edit: sorry for the redundancy i just noticed above someone already mentioned setting goals

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds like you are realizing that you have low self esteem. Consider that a good thing, it's a step in the right direction. Many people have none whatsoever and spend their lives trying to build an image to rectify their low opinions of themselves.

I went through the same thing, looking for passion in life. The key is to start setting your own standards and figuring out what YOU want out of life. You won't necessarily figure that out right away, but start exploring interests or ideas that you have and go with the ones that work out.

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I will make some short term weight lifting goals, but when I accomplish that, then what? Make more goals? For what?

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I will make some short term weight lifting goals, but when I accomplish that, then what? Make more goals? For what?

I really DON'T think I have low self esteem. I have enough confidence to know I can do what I want...but why should I? Everything is temporary anyways. Seems like I might as well just let things happen.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SamMalone said:

I really DON'T think I have low self esteem. I have enough confidence to know I can do what I want...but why should I? Everything is temporary anyways. Seems like I might as well just let things happen.
Self esteem entails having respect for oneself. There is a difference between being confident in one's abilities and having self esteem, in the same way that there is a difference between recognizing someone who has talent and still not having respect for them.

Your question "why should I" seems to be an example of how you haven't thought much about your own interests and what you want out of life... I don't consider that to be a great sign of self esteem, although obviously I cannot see the entire scope of the situation, so all I can do is speculate. Regardless, I see people all the time who are very ****y/arrogant, who might be considered an example of someone with self esteem, but when it comes down to it they really have none and are just playing a role.

Short term goals are useless without long term goals. Their only purpose it to provide a means of working toward long term goals. Figure out long term goals first, such as what you want out of life and what you value, and then figure out which short term goals will help you achieve them.

chickenlegs03

Banned
Reaction score
honestly, I know exactly what you mean (SamMalone). I think the key is to discover your passion.

I would say the exact same thing about the last 6mo. of my life. Same old, same old, go to class, hit on girls, get hit on, etc...whatever I was doing good, but mediocre at most things. You could say my 'heart wasn't into things'...I was just doing it. Clubbing/partying Friday nights and weekends...regular Mr. Nobody.

Fast forward to today, I have discovered my passion. Well, deep down, I always knew what it was, but I finally decided to cut through the bull****, stop wasting time and live it. I wake up every morning knowing I am living my passion, I'm getting real things accomplished; I really feel invigorated and have a sense of purpose, more than ever. I don't even party or go to clubs or drink anymore...but simply living my passion, living my dream gives me enough of a buzz that I don't even miss that old lifestyle.

I think a ton of things in life just fall together when you find that which is what you love to do. It's so important, no wonder so many famous and successful people preach about it.

So go find your passion, and you'll be waking up with more 'passion' and energy than you'll know what to do with.

SamMalone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn nothing has changed yet. Still haven't found anything to get me excited to be alive. Just feeling apathetic towards life in general...not a bad feeling I guess, just different.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch Carlos Mencia. Make it a habit to get what you want. Set goals. When you reach those, set higher goals.
Example: Football
Goal - Lay some kid out (Check)
Okay, I met that, now..
Goal - Lay some kid out, and keep him out
Took a while, got it, now...
Goal - Break the stupid b**ch in half
Each time the goal gets more and more difficult to acheive. Keep it going.

Have fun. It's a must.

Start taking care of yourself. You look better, you'll feel better.
Get lots of sleep
Eat right
If you still have this problem, seek help.

chickenlegs03

Banned
Reaction score
SamMalone said:
Damn nothing has changed yet. Still haven't found anything to get me excited to be alive. Just feeling apathetic towards life in general...not a bad feeling I guess, just different.
Perhaps you need to go through some hardship or downtime.

For me, I moved away from the city/state I was living in. I used to be Mr. Social Butterfly practically, options with girls, so much 'status' as you guys like to call it. I felt on top of the world.

But I moved away, and here I am with barely a social life. Without any of that, it brought me back to the stage zero. Haven't had a girl since December.

The amount of desire and ambition I've developed since then has been amazing. Sure, I barely have any 'friends' here, but every second of my life is doing something. I have found my passion, a job I love, and I am constantly getting off my ass.

Every time I feel myself getting complacent, I get up and bounce back. It's like a constant, ever-lasting process of improvement. I've just started to workout, and been bulking. I haven't even started the "real" program I'm doing yet, and I gained about 7lbs since 4/22...and 3lbs of that are muscle.

That's not all I'm doing though...just health-wise.

I guess what I'm saying is, you need to lose something, you need to somehow feel some pain to force yourself to change. You can't keep living complacently, otherwise you'll never change and life will be mundane. Make some challenges for yourself, some sacrafices...that you may initially hate, but just do it and try to overcome them.

I think it all comes down to the fact that you're not taking any risks.

You have to risk. Lose something
. That's the only way change or passion, or anything that truly matters will happen.

Dante3214

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you should get extremely pissed off and hit something.

I'm serious.

Just get pissed off at life and ram something!

And just like chickenlegs said, take risks.

It wouldn't seem that hard for you, I suspect!

Also, give it time, you'll find it sooner or later.

shydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MUSIC!!!!! LISTEN TO MUSIC, THEN start playing some instrument, start singing, start making music, become a DJ. Music will make your live alive, it will make your life fun, it will make your life rich and powerfull!!