How to Stop Crying...

i am me

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, first off, I'm not a crybaby. I've NEVER cried at school and I can't remember anytime that I've cried in public. Sometimes, though, when I get in trouble with my parents, my dad (strict) starts yelling at me and I just can't help but shed some tears. He gets even more mad when I start crying...and to be honest, (even though I don't think he should be yelling because I'm not a bad kid...) I don't want to cry either. I'm also scared that if I don't toughen up a little (emotionally), I'll be seen crying in public one day. I DON'T want people to see this. The only time when I think it's accpetable is after something serious happened (death, for example).

So does anybody have any tips to stop myself from crying?

souporman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey man.. dont worry about it.

Its good to cry... it releases emotions and can be relaxing.

Express yourself when you need to and dont fret about it. Just dont cry about petty things when you can stand up and get over it.

Reaction score
Crying is a release mechanism to lessen pain whether physical or emotional - just cry when you are alone and never cry in public and especially in front of a girl! - she'll lose respect for you!!! Crying in public is only ok at funerals!!!

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
as you experience more traumatic experiences, you will become more tolerant in what makes you cry...

I remember when I was young and I'd cry when I scraped my knee. Now I don't cry often (tho I can get choked up during romantic movies) I broke my arm two times recently and suprisingly didn't cry, the 2nd time was real bad, with the bone almost sticking out and both bones broken.

Just imagine yourself dealing with it and you'll be fine. There is like a split second where you can cry or hold out.

penguin

Don Juan
Reaction score
I cry at the stupidest things. My first girlfriend about 3 years ago, i cried when i got dumped and we'd been together for 3 months! I just recently (yes, got dumped again) and it was almost 2 years, yet I never shed a single tear over that.

So obviously as things happen to you, you become more tolerant.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah like i got this paper cut one time and i didnt cry!:p i dont rmember last time i cried from pain. Im used to pain, doing xc cycling oyu come off all the time but i cant say i have had any serious crashes.

Layla

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I am me, im the same as you. I dont cry from pain or anything but when my dads talking to me about something serious or yelling, my eyes get like watery and i cant stop it.

If you blow out i think it makes it look less.

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You are all a bunch of pvssies...
:D

I haven't cried in ages...
My grandfather died only a week ago, I didn't shed a single tear...

Always know that there are better times ahead, there is no real reason to be sad.

Oh yeah, if your dad yells at you, fight him, mentally or physically. Don't let him turn you into a scared little wuss by doing that, stand up to him.

Personally, when my dad used to yell at me a long time ago, I'd just plain ignore him. He'd usually end up getting even more pissed and I'd keep on ignoring him. He beat the living sh1t out of me once because of that, which ended with me crying, but it took a LOT to get me there. (This was not his fault btw, I was really psychotic back then as hundreds of people can testify :p)
Despite of what some parents may think, yelling at your kid does not make him stronger. It makes him less secure about who he is and about his capabilities. Yelling at a kid makes them get used to being submissive and getting beat up, which is not a good start for real life. Strength comes from within the child, by letting him discover who he really is himself.

Reaction score
I dont think that not crying at your grandfathers funeral is nescissarily something to be proud of.

ScrewIt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by optimist prime
I dont think that not crying at your grandfathers funeral is nescissarily something to be proud of.
well, to some people, they dont really know their realives too well. Most of my relatives i barely know cause we're not that close anyway and barely keep in contact. so i would probably be in the same position as him.

As someone else said it is based on how tolerant you are. Used to when i was a kid and did something wrong and knew my dad was really pissed, i'd cry. But i dont cry for anyone anymore.