How to increase punching power

Reaction score
tipsy_619 said:
i bet they are pretty good at boxing for points

but i'd knock the **** out of a 12 year old
i doubt they have knock out power...

thats what i said, but they are like really amazing, they come from tough neighborhoods so they are always figthing, and they aint good just for points, they'll knock you out

it seems hard to believe, but its true, heck i didnt even believe it myself until i saw it

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Works your core like a mother f*cker.

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
yeah cro cop killed wandy. its good to see that there are quite a few mma fans here, i love the sport myself but other than the odd tustle on the street or niteclub (usually the result of extremely high alcohol consumption) im not a skilled fighter. im thinking about taking up a martial art though also, muay thai seems to be the one im most inclined to go for!! does anyone know what tai jitsu is like and what it involves because there is a club nearby that i could join!??

CCKazi007

Banned
Reaction score
Muai Tai is def. a good martial art to learn if you wanna learn how to strike. Ju-Jistu is Japanese and it deals with all aspects grapplin/submission and standup or strikes. Pesonally I think your better off learning Brazilian Ju-Jistu which offers knee strikes. If you wanna be an all round fighter you gotta know at least 2 or 3 MMA so you have experiance in all areas.

Charm

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learning to transfer energy through the balls of your feet, up your legs, into your hips and then snap that energy out of your arms like a whip is called power generation or fa jing and is the foundation for expelling power in chinese martial arts.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What the hell what?

Oxide

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To better understand what these guys mean by driving with the legs, here is how I do it:

Turn sideways to the target.
c0ck your right arm back (if you are going to punch with the right) Your left arm is in front of your face
Twist your torso as hard as you can to the left as you swing
Pretend you are falling through the target, keep going through him with your punch in your head.

Same concept goes for kicks. If you want to develop a kick that will throw people across the room train spinning your body when kicking

Cruise

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Ross Enamait's training and articles for boxers.

Check the guy out, he's the real deal:

rosstraining.com

Happy training.

simba_

Don Juan
Reaction score
TheHoff said:
yeah cro cop killed wandy. its good to see that there are quite a few mma fans here, i love the sport myself but other than the odd tustle on the street or niteclub (usually the result of extremely high alcohol consumption) im not a skilled fighter. im thinking about taking up a martial art though also, muay thai seems to be the one im most inclined to go for!! does anyone know what tai jitsu is like and what it involves because there is a club nearby that i could join!??
I've studied Tai-jitsu/Ninjutsu. It's great for hand-to-hand combat, however it's not something you will see in your average street fight. One of my Sensei's in Ninjitsu was responsible for teaching U.S. troops the basics of hand to hand combat through Tai jitsu. It'll teach you how to disarm an oponent with a weapon like a knife or gun, and also how to break people (everywhere) :D . Ninjitsu was great for teaching me some proper punching form. I had done some kick boxing before I tried it, and after learning how to generate more power (through legs and core muscles such as your hips/abs) my punching power sky rocketed.

But if you're looking for a more practical Art, I'd go with Muay Thai. The Japanese Arts (atleast from my experience) take a lot of patience and offer a different type of approach to a fight. I'm not saying that they aren't practical, but for the most part I think people often would rather just knock a guy out than break his shoulder.

As for Bruce Lee, he was strong as hell. He had an extremely strong core, and I read that he could hold a 125 pound barbell out infront of him with both arms at 140 pounds (that covers the shoulders and core, I bet his legs weren't lagging either). He had extremely strong wrists too, that's why he was able to push people with such force when he used his '1 inch punch'.

Vintovka

Don Juan
Reaction score
Argh, I've been interested in Muay Thai and BJJ for a couple years now but in my town of 50k we have like 6 Kung Fu schools a couple of Karate places and Tae Kwon Do.

I thought about trying one of the Kung Fu places but I know and have met quite a few students and they've all got that 'Kung Fu will beat anything, anytime, always' attitude.

I mentioned wanting to learn MT to a buddy who studied KF for a couple years once and his reply was, "Why? Wing Chun will always beat MT'

They also go around preforming physics tricks and passing them off as 'chi' manipulation, like breaking the bottoms out of beer bottles :p

Ah well, /rant off

On the bright side, supposedly there's a BJJ club starting on campus.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
What the hell what?
There's no striking in BJJ, it's submission grappling. It's like wrestling, but instead of trying to pin someone you try to make them tap out by choking, joint locks, etc.

Sean O

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
There's no striking in BJJ, it's submission grappling. It's like wrestling, but instead of trying to pin someone you try to make them tap out by choking, joint locks, etc.
Skilla_Staz is probably referring to when you're trying to get up in base, and your opponent is too close to you, so you kick at his knees to get him to retreat in order to create space to safely get up. Most people don't realize that said technique is a BJJ technique, probably because a) it isn't allowed in BJJ tournaments, and b) people don't associate it with BJJ when they see it in Vale Tudo bouts because BJJ is a grappling martial art.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
DON"T DO PUNCHES WITH WEIGHTED DUMBELLS IN YOUR HAND. THATS POINTLESS.

I'm sure somebody will recommend it, but the ONLY thing that does for you is increase your stamina for holding things with weight. It may work your shoulders, but its like saying "wearing heavy gloves while you box makes you hit harder". It doesn't.
Putting more weight into your hands when you punch makes it so that you have to create a larger force with your arm to get the same acceleration.

You got pwned by Newton!!