HOw to improve kicks in martial art

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have taekwondo and I'm new at it. I was wonder does people have a lot more advantage and kick harder when thy have thick legs? Cuz I have skinny legs I got got my butt whip from sparring last week. Is there ways for skinny people to hit hard?

niggitywiggity

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well the first part is technique. If you don't know how to kick well, you're never going to be able to put maximum force behind your kick.

I suggest lying on your back or holding onto a railing while practicing the kick (use perfect form).

Also important is the snapping. If you don't know what that is, then ask your instructor.

Lastly, do some weightlifting or plyometrics to increase the muscle strength.

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Stretch. Flexibility.

2. Learn how to use your body mechanics properly to kick.
- Kick though the target, never at a target
- Follow through with your kick, do not snap back - this is for powerful kicks, not fast kicks. Fast kicks require snap, but do not have the power. Just like jab and right. Jab is fast, Right is slow but powerful.
- Get a punch bag and work on your kicks, using your whole body to drive the kick through your taget, never at it.

Bourne

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Every one has certain advantages based on size, genetics, experience. Don't worry about what others have, maximize your strength and minimize your weaknesses.

Some people based on their size and body will always kick harder and faster then you. Don't worry about it.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If by thick you mean more muscular, then yes you will kick harder with more muscular legs. However skill is much more important.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on competing in taekwondo. From what I've heard, it's not very practical for street fighting.

Hunterchilla

Don Juan
Reaction score
i dont think its about how muscluar the leg is really just like punching, its not how muscular the arm is

for example if you ever heard of Chuck liddell, he has a really power full punch, and his arms arent exactly so muscular. He has great speed, and technique, which makes his punches power ful

I think the quiker u swing her leg, the better the snap, and the more weight you put into it, then the harder it is.

but when someone with huge muscular legs kicks, their leg is really slow compared to some 160LB muy thai guy.

niggitywiggity

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bourne
- Follow through with your kick, do not snap back - this is for powerful kicks, not fast kicks. Fast kicks require snap, but do not have the power. Just like jab and right. Jab is fast, Right is slow but powerful.
- Get a punch bag and work on your kicks, using your whole body to drive the kick through your taget, never at it.
He's right about that part, snap is indeed for fast kicks but power kicks follow through.

Dante1a

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was taught some very effective exercises by a Grand Master here in Colorado to improve all your kicking.

He was a TKD/HKD master and while I study Chuan Fa, I still make these drills part of my daily workout.

Basic Principle worth mentioning: Always practice kicking higher then you actually intend to use. However, since TKD has so many kicks the head, get ready to kick the moon, man. :)

1. Leg Strength Drill - Set up a folding chair. Kick over the high back of the chair and hold for 15 secs. Do 20 reps on each side.

- Front
- Side
- Round
- Back

(later ad crescents, ape kicks, etc.)

Up your reps weekly.

2. Moving Target Drill- Have someone at your school use the hand kick shield and give you target drills. Use all of your kicks to practice efficent movement to the target. Start slow and speed up.

3. Bag Drill - First, begin with rotating through your kicks (20 reps each side) with as much power as possible. Then - Unload on the bag for 2 minutes, then rest for 2. Repeat 10 times.

Then, if you're still not tired...

4. Setup several bags in a zig-zag path. Unload on one for 10 secnonds, run to the next and do the same. When you reach the end of the path, sprint back to the beginning and do it all over again.

Do this at least three times a week and you'll notice huge gains in your leg strength and sparring ability. However, I should stress the need for more modern TKD students to study hands and effective (i.e. non sport) applications. There would be nothing worse then getting in a fight, thinking you can do it and then realizing the laws of the dojang do not apply. It could be as easy as practicing Basic Buddhapalm. Best of luck with your training :)

Last edited:

Dante1a

Don Juan
Reaction score
By the way, for everyone else out there... doing bag drills, etc is a VERY EFFECTIVE form of cardio.

It's all I use. I've always subscribed to the theory that if I run everyday, then I'll just get better at running..with this, not only am I improving my body's awareness and ability but I am burning roughly twice as much fat in the time as I would running.

silverfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't practice high kicks anymore but when I did these things helped...

1) Stretch properly - ie dynamic leg swings front, back , side to warm up and static an iso-stretches after the main workout.

2) Look up Hindu squats, try hill or interval sprints. This will improve fitness and muscular endurance.

3) An exercise called "grape stompers" (??) will help with hips. Place your fingertips by your ears with your elbows out to the side. Raise your knees out to the side aiming to touch your elbows. Don't lean your upperbody towards your knees. You won't hit your elbows unless you are a stretchy freak but 25 reps with each leg will help you with your kicks.

Caveat: be careful not to over-extend or lock your joints when punching or kicking the air. Or you will pay for it in years to come. Kick the bags, the pads (and other students :D ) instead.