How to fight

Ll Principe

Don Juan
Reaction score
NOTICE: MY FIRST POST!!!

Hi everyone.

This is my first post ever, so feel free to welcome me in...:rockon:

I was wondering what do you guys think is the best form of fighting.. Ive been told to do one of.
a) boxing
b) thai boxing
c) muay thai
d) kick boxing

But which of these really work, after 3 months will I be able to beat up that guy that looked at me funny in a club or the guy that hit on my girl?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.
:kick:

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly, from what I've heard/been told/read, the best by far seems to be a combo of Muay Thai Kickboxing and jiu-jitsu. The best of the striking martial arts, and the best of the ground/grappling martial arts. MMA: mixed martial arts. It's what UFC fighters use. Don't ignore ground and grappling fighting.....in real fighting that's where most fights end up. It also seems like Krav Maga (I think that's what Israeli special forces are taught) is the best martial art for fighting multiple people at once, but it's really hard to find good teachers/schools, and really easy to find crappy ones.

Panda 2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Beat up a guy that looked at you funny? Dude, come on, before learning martial arts a person should know the principles of maturity.

Le Parisien

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ll Principe said:
But which of these really work, after 3 months will I be able to beat up that guy that looked at me funny in a club or the guy that hit on my girl?
:kick:
I'm really tired of this, so many people here always just want the quick fix.
Like how do I attract HB10? How do I become confident? How to XYZ in two time three movements...:rolleyes:

Are you looking to be a great fighter or martial artist just by doing XYZ in only three months?:rolleyes:
:nono: :kick:

Panda 2000 said:
Beat up a guy that looked at you funny? Dude, come on, before learning martial arts a person should know the principles of maturity.
Panda 2000 is right.

We don't need to know what you think "you actually meant". You are looking forward to pick bar fights so you can "look good, masculine" etc... And maybe to impress the ladies.

This clearly shows your maturity level.:rolleyes:

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
One word; "Katana"

Nobody is stupid enough to fvck with somebody who carries around a 4 foot sword.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MMA. Mixed martial arts. Work on grappling, boxing and probably brazilian ju jitsu. That seems to be a popular little combination. Chances are you aren't going to beat people up all the time, but it's always good to be able to defend yourself, or even get into some MMA fights.

Once I get into college, maybe even hit about 190lbs, I plan on training some MMA

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn grappling if you want to be able to effectively solve most encountered confrontations. BJJ is obviously great with this, and if you can, throw in some judo.

Say some guy at a club is getting a little too close to your girl. The scenario begins with you gonig up to him, right? Breaking the distance between the two of them, so you're already within grabbing range. At this point, you've gotten out of striking distance. Unless you're going to "challenge" him outside in the open, you're going to remain here. If he gets aggressive with you, he'll MOST likely start by trying to push you. Bingo. Close in, do a basic throw, and he's on the ground. Now you can proceed to get into a dominant ground position. Simple one would be the knee-on-stomach position. At this point, you can tell him to leave. It's simple and it doesn't actually cause bodily harm to the other guy, so you've intelligently avoided legal trouble.

Obviously striking is important. Do some basic boxing or kickboxing for that. Learn how to throw proper punches, guard yourself, and block/evade.

Also practice some knife fighting. It's legal to carry a small knife around with you, and that can help in a situation where several guys get you on the ground at once. It can quickly take you from being in a crappy situation to a dominant one if you know how to use one.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scrumtulescence said:
Honestly, from what I've heard/been told/read, the best by far seems to be a combo of Muay Thai Kickboxing and jiu-jitsu.
please, can we give him some advice that will get him ready to defend himself in a reasonable amount of time, not when hes 45! Im a lover not a fighter so maybe i can't give you any advice, or maybe that is my advice. We live in a society full of violence to the point violence is cool. Violence breeds violence and today most youth seem to radiate violence from all the rap music/video games/tv shows they watch. Best way to avoid fights is to stay cool, mind your own business and treat people like you want to be treated.

It is your duty to learn how to defend yourself i applaud you for that but just remember the best way to avoid fights is to not act like an a-hole just like the rest of the population. If you get into a little argument it is not wrong to walk away and ignore. Self defense should be used if we are actually attacked, but most people now adays don't use self defense, they just get into an argument and BAM fists are flying (not self defense), they don't try walking away and ignoring they have too much pride.

I have been into arguments over stupid stuff like most people, which to most jerks and average young guys might have led to a fight. Most of the time I have walked away even if it made me look bad and not macho. I just refuse to fight over self pride or other silly things. I can take a couple of insults they are just words which do not hurt nearly as much as getting punched if i decide to fight over getting insulted.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it doesn't actually cause bodily harm to the other guy, so you've intelligently avoided legal trouble.

No form of fighting completely avoids legal trouble. Assault is merely unwanted touching or even a missed punch. Being a reasonable person who is just defending yourself will likely keep you off the prosecutor's radar, but if you have any wealth at all, you can still get sued in civil court.

The only way to avoid legal trouble is to not fight at all. fwiw, two ways to avoid fights are #1 not getting wasted drunk and #2 not going anywhere alone. A college kid stumbling home alone from the bar at night while drunk is begging for trouble.

Soprano

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
its a judgment call..... legal trouble vs. the dude you're fighting doin some f'n damage to your ass...... gotta make fast decisions

edmond

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do not waste time or money on this BS, Kung Fu, Karate, etc.....
Real street fighting has got nothing to do with it.To give you an idea about what real street fighting is about take a look at rabid dogs fighting and that will give you an idea. You must be mentally prepared at ALL times to defend yourself and be able to counter attack within a split second if possible with weapons, always carry something with you, like brass knuckles or a blackjack.
Do not except the public or police to help you, no one give a s**t. You will be breaking the law by being armed, so what!!!!!
It is better to be tried by twelve, than carried by six.

CCKazi007

Banned
Reaction score
Title was kinda misleading if you want to learn how to fight the best way is to GET IN A FIGHT it doesn't have to be a fight to the death, but it's pretty hard to start a fight with someone because almost everyone usually avoid fights. Moving on...

The best "way or style" of fighting is MMA or mix-martial arts why? because every martial art has it's pros and cons.

Best striking: Boxing, Kick-Boxing, Maui Thai
Best grappin/wrestling: Greco-Roman, Judo

The best fighter in MMA Fedor Emilienko (25-1) knows Judo and some russian stuff.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seriously use the search function there used to a HUGE thread about the best fighting style

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
it doesn't actually cause bodily harm to the other guy, so you've intelligently avoided legal trouble.

No form of fighting completely avoids legal trouble. Assault is merely unwanted touching or even a missed punch. Being a reasonable person who is just defending yourself will likely keep you off the prosecutor's radar, but if you have any wealth at all, you can still get sued in civil court.

The only way to avoid legal trouble is to not fight at all. fwiw, two ways to avoid fights are #1 not getting wasted drunk and #2 not going anywhere alone. A college kid stumbling home alone from the bar at night while drunk is begging for trouble.
Well sometimes there are situations that cannot be avoided. In general, a fight is going to occur at times/in places where prosecution isn't going to happen. If you're at a party and someone starts causing trouble, you can quickly subdue the guy without any future trouble. I know because I've both been the one who's been subdued and who's subdued others (usually when drunk of course). If you're out late at night with your girl and some bum starts getting aggressive, you can quickly finish him, and it will most likely be when there isn't any witness around anyway, so how is he going to sue you?

Point is that you have to learn how to defend yourself. Knowing that you could potentially destroy most people out there breeds a high degree of confidence and ironically allows you to effectively avoid situations that could turn problematic if you were not skilled.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
edmond said:
Do not waste time or money on this BS, Kung Fu, Karate, etc.....
Real street fighting has got nothing to do with it.To give you an idea about what real street fighting is about take a look at rabid dogs fighting and that will give you an idea. You must be mentally prepared at ALL times to defend yourself and be able to counter attack within a split second if possible with weapons, always carry something with you, like brass knuckles or a blackjack.
Do not except the public or police to help you, no one give a s**t. You will be breaking the law by being armed, so what!!!!!
It is better to be tried by twelve, than carried by six.
Of course you have to have that quick response and immediate instinct. However, you also have to know what you're doing. A totally wild, unskilled brawler would quickly be taken down by a trained fighter.

Nighthawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been in a few fights and seen plenty, and not once have I ever seen a guy whip the other guys ass with some fancy karate moves or any other martial art.

I did do a sweet flying kick to this guy who was drunkenly and randomly attacking my house, then me, with garbage, but I'd hesitate to call it kung fu.

I'm not dissing martial arts, so if anyone has any stories of real-life Bruce Lee style smackdowns, I'm all ears.

My tip - look for something heavy, hit them with it.