How to be a good wingman?

LoBo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, so tonight I went out with my buddy to go and meet up with this chick and her friends. He's been trying to nail this chick for a while now and he's been getting some pretty serious action, only problem is, she can't bring herself to break up with her boyfriend. So, of course, she's holding out on the sex. :D

Anyway, we wind up going to a movie (Chicago... Dear GOD! Am I a friend or what? :rolleyes: ). Afterwards we go to Denny's. My friend kept telling me afterwards how it was so awkward. Truthfully, I wasn't awkward at all, just REALLY bored. :p Any girls who say they date older guys because they are more mature are damn hypocrites! These chicks were crazy. Laughing about random stuff and just generally goofing around with each other. Not that I have a problem with that, but this was a bit excessive. They basically kept the conversation between themselves, laughing about stuff that only concerned them, about stuff that had happened earllier that day. So me and my buddy were pretty un-talkative. We had no idea what was going on the whole time. Really, I had nothing to say, I was bored. Pretty much just spent the whole time staring at my drink.

Afterwards my friend kept riding me on how I was such a bad wingman. He kept asking me why I just sat there and didn't say anything. It's not like I didn't talk at all, just not very much. I was pretty quiet. And he didn't exactly speak up all that much either mind you. :rolleyes: He told me I should have made small talk and I didn't help him out at all. I guess I was too bored and I didn't have anything to say.

So basically, what could I have done? What should I have talked about? Nothing came to mind. I know I didn't handle it well. I guess I didn't really think about it though. It was just a really boring night, but there could have been something I could have said, wasn't there?

What are things I can do to be a better wingman? :)

TheSplat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well...just ask them about their hobbies and interests. Lightly flirt w/ the ones that your friend doesn't want. Say "do you guys play any sports?" and if they say "yes, softball" just come up w/ Hey Friend, remember that time when you were playing baseball and you hit a grand slam." Or whatever

Use your convo topics to bring up good points about your friend, so it doesn't look like he's bragging. Dont bring up past girlfriends, religion, or your friends crazy political views. Just relax and have fun.

LoBo

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Thought I woulda got more...

How do I ask them about there hobbies? Just straight out and ask them just outta nowhere "So, what do you like"?

I guess that was always an option, but this wasn't really a time to get to know people. Just to make conversation you know. Like bring up something that they would find interesting and we could talk about. That was the problem, because that night, I had nothing interesting to say. I had just been home the previous 4 days sick, so I didn't go out at all. Nothing new and exciting had happened to me lately.

I dunno, I guess it is really easier than I am making it out to be. The best advice that I had been given in the past is to just be yourself. Normally I am very outgoing and funny and usually have something to say about everything. It's jsut yesterday though, I didn't feel to "into it".

Thanks again for the advice though. Keep it coming guys.

LoBo

Don Juan
Reaction score
That's it huh? One person?

Geez, thanks a lot guys... :eek:

Kwah

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gotta relax, just flirt with the one hes not into. I've noticed if your not really into a chick its easier to be ****y with them so be ****y and flirty. If needs be make it look like your the ******* and have him put you in your place ;) Not DJ *******, but ******* ******* and have him pull the DJ moves.

Basically just provide distraction for him so that he can work on the girl.

But since hes trying to bang some chick who doesnt want to break up with her ex you could quite easily tell him hes on his own too.

Smooth as Anything

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tell your friend he needs to wise up and stop relying on friends to get him laid. Period.

edward

Don Juan
Reaction score
Be Goose.

Playing wingman is easy. Things lighten up for both parties if you actively pursue girl #2. Your boy can easily hook up with his if you're gettin with hers. And it makes for a better atmosphere. If one guys mackin, even if you're supposed to be his wingman he can still ride on your coattails. Throw in a comment like, "Oh, Johnny's so much more athletic than me though, he must have way better stories than I.." and you're settin him up too.

Happy Hunting

uniassign

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your job as a wingman is:

1. Occupy all obstacles and

2. Help your buddy to get the chick.

To occupy all the obstacles, you have to come up with a good topic of conversation. What's better than the target. Get them to talk about the target, and how good she is with your buddy.

I found that C&F is DEADLY with chicks around your age (I am talking 18 - 21/22). They love that sh!t.

As part of achieving (2) you will need to find some sort of excuse for your buddy to isolate the chick.