How to argue like a lawyer

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I came across a video on Youtube about how to argue like a lawyer.

The lawyer explained there are two kinds of argument styles that lawyers are taught, IRAC and CRAC.

With IRAC, you start by stating the Issue, then find the Rules, then do an Analysis with the facts, and end with your Conclusion.

With CRAC, you sandwich things together by starting with your Conclusion, then the Rules, and Analysis, and then your Conclusion.

IRAC is scholarly argument and CRAC is persuasive argument.

Apparently, IRAC is taught in first year law school, but CRAC is usually not taught until later.

I did not know about the persuasive style of artument.

I bring this up because, well, it's interesting, and knowing how to argue is an important skill to have as it's useful in daily life. Not every day, hopefully, but it comes in handy.

Here is a funny clip from Curb Your Enthusiasm.. Larry David finds out that his good lawyer is not Jewish. When he finds out his good lawyer is Swedish, he says, "I got a Swede lawyer?! She's going to get everything!" and storms out. Later in the episode, Larry fires his good lawyer for a bad lawyer and the wife ends up getting everything. The clip has nothing to do with IRAC or CRAC, it's just funny.

Last edited:

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was taught irac as the way to write case briefs. It's also what they like to see in bar exam answers. Usually there are two rules, a majority rule and a minority one, and you work through it with each rule.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems interesting…Id rather learn the art of Verbal Judo…aka- The Art of de escalating a tense situation and letting it be a win win situation on both sides
I used to work as a 'cooler' or 'point man' in nightclubs to defuse tense situations. Served me well in relationships too.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How to split the difference
How to win an argument
Not sure if either really helps with women TBH

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many people enjoy arguing over trivial things, especially in relationships. Then they wonder why it devolves into toxicity.

Perhaps they should be more concerned with learning how to properly compromise than how to properly argue.
It’s like when you experience enough pain, you become motivated to find an alternative- arguing with your significant other or any relationship is the same way.

Opposite attorneys are called adversaries for a reason. The law is looking to convince some arbitrator to interpret or enforce a specific rule - personal relationships are almost never so black and white. Competition rarely breeds good will between adversaries. Relationships should not be adversarial.