How often to work out?

FBGangsta

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, I used to work out like 5 days/week, and I didn't work all of my body part. Anyways, my new routine is so I only work out 3 days/week and mondays I work on legs, abs, wednesdays on back, biceps, abs, and fridays on chest, shoulders, triceps, abs.

So, what do you think about this kind of routine? How often do you guys work out? And how does that work for you? Idk if I feel that working each body part only once a week works, but I'll see.

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I work out every other day.

I split the routines like this:
chest/triceps
biceps/delts
back
legs
I do abs and calf exercises every other workout.
When i'm cutting, I do about 30 minutes of cardio after each workout.

For me, I think the keys have been lifting heavy (gotta do squats and deads) and discipline when it comes to eating and supplementation. I laugh on the inside when I see guys on machines doing 20 reps of 100lb leg extensions.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do a 4 day split

monday = back
tues = shoulders + tris
thurs = Legs
Fri = chest + bis

I'm also trying out this alternating routine with my buddy. Basically we do 10 x 10 x 10 one week, and the next week we put on more weight and do 8 x 6 x 4 or 10 x 8 x 6. Just seein how it works.

PS: Merc, how do you do that? When I'm cutting hardcore and strictly, there's no way I'd have enough energy to do 30 mins of cardio after a workout where I lifted hard. It's kinda hard to go back and make a protein shake, let alone do cardio...

Mercenary

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag

PS: Merc, how do you do that? When I'm cutting hardcore and strictly, there's no way I'd have enough energy to do 30 mins of cardio after a workout where I lifted hard. It's kinda hard to go back and make a protein shake, let alone do cardio...
I take a shaker bottle full of protein to the gym. A lot of times I can only do 20 minutes or so. Then I go play basketball for a few minutes...

Sethantes

Reaction score
FBGangsta,

I combine the same muscle groups as yourself and work out the same days as you. Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

If you weren't seeing any gains working out 5 days a week you were probably over training. 5 days a week for myself is definitely way too much. My body needs more time to heal even though I supplement with glutamine and plenty of vitamin C. The length of time it takes your body to heal will vary from person to person, but you'll never know for sure what works for you unless you try it out and most importantly be consistent, you can not afford to skip a workout. Remember to focus on the compound excercises as you are only working each muscle group once a week. Work them hard. Good Luck

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[kinda off topic]
You know of any good working methods of training your back without going to the gym and expensive equipment ?
[thanks]

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
does it matter how you grab the bar ? With palms forward or facing you ?

Sethantes

Reaction score
Originally posted by Charisma
(palms out = palms not facing you, right ?)
Right.

Bent-over rows are also a good back excercise for over all growth

Lt dan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ido chest biceps shoulders and lats and triceps on monday wednesday and friday. tuesday and thursday i do back legs abs and traps. this sounds like ill be overtrained but ive been doing this for a while and its been working great. ive pretty steadily gained ten pounds a month on bench.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mercenary
I take a shaker bottle full of protein to the gym. A lot of times I can only do 20 minutes or so. Then I go play basketball for a few minutes...
That's what we did in basketball practice in HS during off season. we would hit the weights for the first 30 mintues of class, and then scrimmage the rest of the practice. It was pretty darn hard.