How does one become a male model?

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of becoming a male model. I'd like to earn some money on the side. Anybody in the modeling business and can give me some tips?

thx in advance.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Becoming a male model is fairly difficult, but if you follow these steps you should make it. Stand next to a mirror, then turn your head facing the mirror, furrow your eyebrows, suck in your cheeks and pucker your lips. Make sure you're wearing a faggy shirt too. Check's in the mail.

joekerr31

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ya practice giving a banana a blow job.
youll need it to succeed as a male model ;)

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Become gay...or at least metrosexual, and you will have a good chance at achieving your goal. Find some way to lower your testosterone.

Why not become a hair stylist, or a male masseuse? Much better hours.

ChrizZ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well, I usually get rated 9 or higher on hotornot. I don't think it really means anything though. How much money does the average male model make and is it worth the effort?

ChapStick

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ChrizZ said:
well, I usually get rated 9 or higher on hotornot. I don't think it really means anything though. How much money does the average male model make and is it worth the effort?
I have a friend that's gay, and he models. It pays, but not enough... My friend still works as a receptionist on the side because male modeling doesn't pay enough... Only a small percentage make it big.

Get those chiseled 6-pack abs.. Get nice skin.. Some cool hair.. some gay-looking clothing, and bam.. you have yourself a shot.

I used to want to become a model, but it's not something that I think I'd want to be in anymore after learning more about the industry.

I think the term metrosexual is so stupid, and was created by the fashion marketers to entice more straight guys into buying designer clothing. Several girls have asked me if I was metrosexual, and it really surprises me how people want to stick a label to you just because you like to eat healthy, dress nice, and take pride in your appearance.

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I read yesterday that on average models make only $11.83 an hour.

And also you got to be ready to take a cack up your arse.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont think hotornot.com has anything do your ability to get into modelling...I usually rate around 9.5 on there for my fitness/promo shots, but I could never model. My gf is a model and she says there's lotsa BS in the industry if you go thru an agency. She says most agencies are all about sucking money outta you. I'm not sure how guys get into bigger shoots, etc, but with female models, you'll usualy have to do some TFP's (time for print) shoots prior to actually getting paid work. TFPs do add to your portfolio however.

If you're into makin money off your looks...consider stripping. As a male entertainer you can make good cash on the side, and you'll love your job!

Primary criteria to do this I think is in your build...make sure your body is better than 90% of the male population, which given how outta shape your average dude is, shouldn't be hard. You can obviously do your job without being that inshape obviously, but if you wanna get more work it helps to look your best!

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to date a girl who was a fashion design exec in NYC. I went to a few shoots with her. You'd be surprised how average looking a lot of real models are in person, they just have a certain look that pleases a camera.

I think the term metrosexual is so stupid, and was created by the fashion marketers to entice more straight guys into buying designer clothing. Several girls have asked me if I was metrosexual, and it really surprises me how people want to stick a label to you just because you like to eat healthy, dress nice, and take pride in your appearance.
It was actually coined as a derogatory term, I don't think guys strive for the metrosexual label.

g g g unit

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Suicide said:
It was actually coined as a derogatory term, I don't think guys strive for the metrosexual label.
You could have fooled me

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why so much hate in this thread?

Anyway Op I guess in order to become a male model you have to be already in the womb while you main features are under development, that is the critical check you have to pass...no way someone with woody allen's genetic can be a model no matter how hard he works.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of becoming a male model. I'd like to earn some money on the side. Anybody in the modeling business and can give me some tips?

thx in advance.
modelmayhem.com

It's a free site that's like facebook but for wannabe and current models to advertise themselves. They also have a forum, (like this one) where you can get advice from other models.

peopletrend37

Reaction score
People Shirts
<Title>People Shirts Formal Shirts Online Men’s Casual Shirts - Trendin.com </title>
Description" content="buy people shirts online. You can get the best range of collections in people brand. Buy Formal shorts online, Men’s casual shirts online at trendin.com. Free shipping and cash on delivery.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Getting modeling gigs (unless you're an 11 out of 10 and people flock to work with you) is a full time thing. In the beginning, you have to do a lot of trades (photos, for working with the photographer) and a lot of free shoots, just to expand your portfolio. It's good and bad, because when you work for free you can get photos to show other...the bad is, of course, it's free work.

You have to have a real passion for it, because it can be tedious work just finding gigs. Shooting in different styles is important because it shows versatility and that's something I strongly recommend. Good luck!

Edit: Oh, this thread started in NOV 2007. Well, anyone looking to get into modeling should read this thread anyways :p

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
and yeah, I think this is the second thread I've posted on that was resurrected by the same poster....gotta start watching that guy! :)

Anyway, modelmayhem has photographers on it as well advertising or trying to break into the biz. A lot of them will do TFP if they're looking to build their portfolios. It's actually a great way to get professional photos done for free even if you're not trying to be a model.

Just be careful, some of those photographers are either 1) only looking to photograph women, because they want to get into their pants, or 2) only looking to photograph men, because they want to get into their pants. (and I'm not referring to women photographers)

Like anything else, you just need to watch yourself.