How can I help convince my friend that he can get girls?

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my best friends has been starting to be more vocal about his girl problems lately (self depreciating humor type stuff) and while he plays it off like its no big deal, I can tell it bothers him and because he's my friend I've been trying to help him, but I don't really know how to go about it.

About my friend: He's charismatic as hell, wittier than I'll ever hope to be, and coming from a straight guy, he's a good looking dude. He's always the life of the party, always has a lot of girls around him, but he never really gets anywhere with them - they usually see him as more of a friend. The only real problem that I see with him is that he's overweight... thats it.

I feel like his attitude is really holding him back, he really has a defeatist attitude about talking to hot girls and says that he doesn't want to waste his time. I point out to him that its utterly absurd that he has this mindset - I could list off the **** he has overcome in his life to get to where he is now (single mother, abused him, tried to bring him down with her, poor household, etc), but that would take up so much space. This guy has overcome obstacles that I would think impossible and that I question myself if I would have that kind of willpower when faced with that kind of adversity... and I can't fathom why in the world he would have a defeatist attitude about women of all things when he has done so much.

I got into an argument with him one night, we were talking about girls and he was blaming his lack of success with girls because of how he looked physically. I told him that was a load of crap and that with girls, a guy's personality (taking into account confidence, the way he carries himself, masculinity, etc) outweighs his physical attractiveness. We fired back and forth as I tried to convince him to have a more positive mindset instead of setting himself up for failure, but I feel he brushes off whatever I say because of the fact that I'm considered somewhat of a player and I happen to be good looking and tall. I try and tell him that I was horrible with girls up until like three years ago and my personality/mindset was the reason why, but I can't reach him. I dont really know what to say to him, this guy has been a great friend and I want success for him - after what he's been through he deserves it more than anyone I know.

But how can I convince him that its more than just looks and that his attitude is holding him back? Anyone have experience pumping up friends and getting them to see the light? Or even better, were you in a similar situation and what was it that opened your mind?

56andre

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea man, I was in identical situation except the girls actually liked my friend but he was always convinced himself they actually weren’t interested in him (fvcked up ay)

He actually had all the tricks of a playa like neging n sh1t like that, but he had low self esteem, low self respect, it’s unbelievable, it’s like he had the world in his hands but he didn’t know, & if you told him he did, he would just deny it. I even tried being an example but that just made him fill worse. He tried to make me feel guilty for helping him out, fvck that.

My advice to you is just let him be, otherwise he will bring you down with him. I know he’s a friend but if you tried everything you can, you either cut him & tell him why, or keep him around but tell him you never wanna her him b1tch about women ever again. Tough love, that’s the only way.

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
56andre said:
Yea man, I was in identical situation except the girls actually liked my friend but he was always convinced himself they actually weren’t interested in him (fvcked up ay)

He actually had all the tricks of a playa like neging n sh1t like that, but he had low self esteem, low self respect, it’s unbelievable, it’s like he had the world in his hands but he didn’t know, & if you told him he did, he would just deny it. I even tried being an example but that just made him fill worse. He tried to make me feel guilty for helping him out, fvck that.

My advice to you is just let him be, otherwise he will bring you down with him. I know he’s a friend but if you tried everything you can, you either cut him & tell him why, or keep him around but tell him you never wanna her him b1tch about women ever again. Tough love, that’s the only way.
Well its not as bad as it was with your friend, it's not like he makes me feel guilty or anything or that I make him feel worse. And its not like he really *****es about women, he is always upbeat and happy and in fact, the argument we had that I mentioned... I'm fairly certain I was the one who initiated it (granted we had all been drinking, memory is a little hazy). He had been talking about how hot this one girl was and we actually ended up hanging out with her and her friends, and at the end of the night I casually asked him why he didnt even try with her, he told me it wasn't possible for a guy like him, and thus the aforementioned debate was started.

I don't know, maybe its just due to this urge I have to help all my friends on how to be better with women ever since I "got it". I love self improvement and I love talking about it and helping other people with it. I dont really go out of my way, but if a good friend of mine mentions girl problems I'll go the extra mile to try and help them out.

He's a good guy, it's not like he just *****es and complains about it nonstop, he's maybe talked about it three times (and not in the way like "oh god pity me") in the three years I've known him.

VastanVer2.0

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know man. Coming from someone who has developed a negative mindset about women, all I can say is that it'll be hard to change (especially if he's not interested in changing his mindset). I have a lot of trouble with this, hell, I can't even approach girls at clubs. Even last night I couldn't talk to girls at this club, and that's after having ****ed one of the hottest girls I've ever been with that morning that I'd known for 2 hours at the time (she came onto me). I didn't go out tonight because I knew I wouldn't approach, didn't see the point.

And yeah, if you suck with girls (even if it's your own stupid **** that's the reason) it still makes you feel like crap when you see another guy (especially a friend) that's got it. Unless your gay that is.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brighty said:
The only real problem that I see with him is that he's overweight... thats it
Sounds like he has some self image problems. He probably actually is not happy with himself physically. He probably knows he is overweight and doesn't feel sexy because he isn't satisfied with himself being as out of shape as he is.

We know that this is probably not a dealbreaker for most girls. But what's the first thing they tell you when you come to this forum? Get in the gym. This is partly to build confidence in yourself, but face it, part of this confidence comes from being in shape.

I'm not sure if you can change his self image. This may even be a healthy reaction for him by telling him that he needs to do something to improve his body. Maybe you could offer to work out with him or something like that? Join a gym together or whatnot.
Of course if his diet is bad, he probably won't lose weight. But if his testosterone gets kicked up a bit, maybe he'd be more willing to go after some girls.

CaptainSK

Don Juan
Reaction score
Me and my friend have been thinking about improving our other friend who sounds exactly like the guy mentioned above. With little success so far. Its like hes stuck inside his head and he got comfortable with the idea of being soft and weak... I think our best bet for our guys is to try to implant a model to follow. Trying to reshape his image of what a man should be. I said A Man goes after his goals with passion and he gets what he wants. He said ''A man is someone who controls his emotions''
Anyone has ideas?

Btw he wont join a gym

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am in the same situation as he is. He needs to get into the gym. He needs to do it for himself and not because of women.

HolyG

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainSK said:
Btw he wont join a gym

Then tell him to enjoy sucking. i hate people who b!tch and don't work hard. If you want your life to be amazing...MAKE IT AMAZING

JustLurk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SharinganUser said:
I am in the same situation as he is. He needs to get into the gym. He needs to do it for himself and not because of women.
There are some seriously fit people out there that have never joined a gym in their lives. It doesn't have to be a gym. You just have to find something that works and put effort into it.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JustLurk said:
There are some seriously fit people out there that have never joined a gym in their lives. It doesn't have to be a gym. You just have to find something that works and put effort into it.

You are missing the forest through the trees. My point was that he needs to get fit. I don't really care what he decides to do, it just has to be something that is going to help him lose weight and gain confidence.

JustLurk

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SharinganUser said:
You are missing the forest through the trees. My point was that he needs to get fit. I don't really care what he decides to do, it just has to be something that is going to help him lose weight and gain confidence.
Then I completely agree with your forest. My post still stands for my fellow tree-lookers.

allbeef

Banned
Reaction score
Get him a nice car, nice place to stay, nice trips, nice clothing, and add 20 years to his age. Then you will hate him for being your ever constant ****blocker.

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You can't do anything. I've been on both ends, it never works.

Inception said:
What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere